Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 4 February 2014
This story follows Barundin the new king of Zhufbar and his attempts to lead his people while also settling grudges for past wrongs done against them and fulfilling an oath made by his father.

I found the writing standard basic but adequate. And much the same with the plot. The story while unremarkable in itself does give you a good insight into the workings of dwarf culture in warhammer. It also establishes the king of Zhufbar as a character within the setting and gives that particular hold a sense of background. On the downside there were a few moments in the plotline that I did not find convincing, in particular the ending - though I won't spoiler it.
on 12 July 2007
I bought this for my son who is getting into Warhammer and has started collecting a Dwarf army, but decided to read it myself as well.

It's not a bad little book, quite well written (a pleasant surprise as I tend to shy away from GW staffers attempts at writing novels) and gives a good flavour of the culture of the Warhammer Dwarves as they battle over a number of centuries against a variety of enemies.

The only thing I didn't like is when one chapter ends with a cliff hanger and the next starts 20 years on (and this can be unclear, notably the war against the Skaven...) but aside from that Gav Thorpe has done a good job here (and the final battle epic got me itching to get some miniatures on the tabletop even if it would have to be a Warmaster game not Warhammer).

Ok, Gav Thorpe isn't Tolkien and the book doesn't have the depth of Tolkien's Dwarf history, but it was enjoyable, adds to the background of the game and if he writes another Dwarf book I'll probably read it.
on 19 October 2007
I had some reservations on picking up this book, primarily because it was about a Dwarf - and in most other stories they tend to have fairly tedious roles. Not here.

From the very beginning, I found myself rooting for the lead Dwarf. Thorpe managed to make the main character into an incredibly likeable person, with a very old-fashioned set of values. A bit like a favourite great uncle or grandad. Couple that with a huge hammer and we've got a winner on our hands.

The story is divided into a series of adventures and battles. Battles with just about anyone the dwarves can fall out with. The dwarves find themselves locked into a steady cycle of retribution via their 'Book of Grudges'. Highlights include a fight in a pub over the quality of the beer: "Beardlings Best Effort." And a battle where everyone else runs off.

I cannot believe anyone could like Warhammer and not like this book. Gav Thorpe's finest hour!
on 30 November 2007
I am a keen reader of warhammer books and have been for years. Warhammer goes from one extreme to the other. On one hand their are books that you can pick up and read again and again. Then there are books like grudge bearer that reading them once was too much. If you like cliche dwarf stories then buy it. Is certainly is not up to william kings felix and gotrek novels.