5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent and tragic, 20 Nov 2005
Lucy Marshall (Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Depths of Hell: A Soldier's Story of Life and Death in Japanese Hands (Paperback)
This is an amazing book but also very disturbing .The story John McEwan tells is about life in the hands of the japanese in the rotten P.O.W. camps.
The poetry is wonderfully written full of emotion and turmoil and it is simply the best P.O.W. book I have ever read before.
Buy this book NOW you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of best I have read., 28 Aug 2006
Robert C. Bulloch "Lochabernomore" (Richmond. BC. Canada.) - See all my reviews
This is writen in a very easy to read form, writen from the heart,being born and raised in the same town as John McEwan (now residing in Canada) the names in the book are all familiar, I would like to thank the auther for taking the time to put down on paper memories of the horrors of war. And mans inhumanity to man.

Regards Rob C Bulloch

5.0 out of 5 stars remarkable reading, 13 Sep 2011
Having read several books on this subject I found this a very true version of what happened to these brave men. My father was a prisoner of war at changi and the terrible things that happened to them were portrayed brilliantly in this book by a true hero of the war. It is hard to believe how they survived and didnt get the glory they deserved.All brave men everyone of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe-Inspiring, 13 Sep 2011
My Great uncle Eddie Rose, was a member of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry and part of this epic tale. This book has managed to fill in all the blanks in his story. I found the book breath-takingly disturbing in its description of the horrors that took place and my heart went out to all those that lived and died through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars John "Dempsey" Kane prisoner in the Japanese death camp., 3 Jan 2014
A wonderful book and so sad that these men were not recognised as heroes. My mother and I shed a tear when we looked at the photo of John "Dempsey" Kane as he was my uncle James best pal from childhood when they lived in Wishaw. When John "Dempsey" Kane came home, he would visit my gran's house often (Sarah Reid)to see James and the family and my mother remembers he used to say before my gran made the sandwiches, "just give me a wee tiny bit of bread and butter as my stomach can't tolerate any more than that" he told them that his stomach and body had never recovered from the terrible experiences that he suffered at the hands of the Japanese. He would not say anymore as he couldn't talk about it. My mother always wondered why he looked ashamed when he said it, however, its only now that she understands why. We both cried when we saw his photo in the book, my mother always remembered him as having lovely wavy hair and he still had that. My mother remembers that John Kane's father had a coal merchants business and John was a strapping boy and had a good solid back, how degrading must it have been for him to be tortured by the Japs. and having to keep the anger inside you. I am so glad that his photo is in this book and at least he will not be forgotten. What a waste of a handsome young man and to many others like John.

5.0 out of 5 stars STORY OF A SURVIVOR, 25 July 2013
This is a remarkable account graphic, in the extreme,s well as monument to Hope.It complements in many ways"Tommorow you Die" by Andy Coogan published in 2012.Andy also served in THE LANARKSHIRE YEOMANRY and like JOHN was a POW who survived the barbarism of his captors.

Usually dispatched within 7 to 11 days