4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but engaging
Chose this as I work in schools and am aware that this is widely used. My son is due to start reception in a few months and thought it would be a great way to get in familiar with the phonics module, as he has not attended nursery school.

Published 8 months ago by joelle gardiner

3.0 out of 5 stars Very dated, and somewhat inaccurate
It's a shame that the DVD release of Jolly Phonics didn't feature an updated film, instead of a transfer of the old videos. Jolly Phonics itself is a nice idea, and one of several synthetic phonics packages available for teaching pre-reading to early reading skills.

Published on 1 Nov. 2007 by Seren Ade

3.0 out of 5 stars Very dated, and somewhat inaccurate, 1 Nov. 2007
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)

There is quite a bit of technology featured in this DVD which looks very dated: for instance, several of the children I work with did not even recognise the CRT monitor of the computer 'Phonic' as part of a computer.

It's also a shame that the synthetic phonics system itself is not adhered to in the production of the film footage - for example, instead of pronouncing 's' for the sound made by the letter 'S', Inky Mouse, Snake, Bee and Phonic are often heard saying 'suh' - adding an unnecessary vowel sound to the target sound... something which can be confusing and counterproductive to children whose learning to sound words is the basis for reading.

On the plus side, children who have been learning Jolly Phonics can identify quite closely with the characters... particularly Inky Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but engaging, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)

Was quite surprised by how old it looks but my son seems to enjoy it and it does seem to have helped him in remember letter sounds. We use the Jolly Phonics workbooks as well and I find them quite good.

Would recommend to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phonics is the way to go, 3 April 2008
A busy Mum of four. (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)
This lovely DVD is well under rated! I bought this for my 3 year old, but with my eldest (9 year old) in mind who completely missed out on phonics at school. In fact all 4 of my children have really enjoyed the stories. My 3 year old has already grasped the single letters with their sounds and names and is enthusiasticly working on the blended sounds in only a few weeks. She even started writing the letters herself with almost no help. There was no stopping her! The difference it makes with reading, writting and spelling is amazing. Why ever did schools stop doing phonics?!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)
My kids enjoyed watching this DVD and kept their interest when learning the jolly phonics alphabet sounds. They did not realise it was an educational DVD and enjoyed the interaction with mouse, snake and phonic the computer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Exteremely Dated, 14 May 2008
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)
The concept of this DVD is good and I particularly like the way it teaches children to write the letters of the Alphabet. Unfortunately, it's very dated and the production quality isn't fantastic. Some of the children I showed it to find it very boring.

I would reccomend parents to perhaps buy something produced more recently.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for reception children, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)
4 year old currently learning phonics at school so I thought this would be ideal for at home. Its a bit old fashioned in the way it looks but this doesn't seem to bother my son. An ideal aid to early learning

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 'treat' after all the hard work!, 26 May 2009
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)
I have used most of the Jolly Phonics resources in my classroom for several years now and find it an excellent programme. I do agree that the DVD is becoming dated and would love to see it updated. However, I use it more as a treat for the children rather than using it to teach them. I usually play each segment after I myself have taught the corresponding letter-sound relationships in the classroom as a reward for their hard work. The children can relax and enjoy getting to know Inky, Snake and Bee and we discuss/revise strategies the characters used afterwards. I haven't had anyone not know what Phonic the computer was yet, but I am sure that will come with time (at the moment we still have several computers around the school looking like 'Phonic' unfortunately)

The DVD doesn't just contain the segment for children, but also valuable information about the programme and strategies for teaching that are very useful for teachers and parents. It is very good as an introduction and 'finding your feet' when beginning the programme for the first time. I often give it to teachers who are beginning to use the programme so that they can familiarise themselves more quickly with the programme and what it entails. It is just a visual way of reinforcing the programme and its key objectives and it is not just for kids, but also for adults implementing the programme.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic dvd, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)
Our 3 yr old loves this dvd, and is learning a lot from it!! Would recommend to anyone wanting to help their kids learn to read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if using the Jolly Phonics scheme, 6 Jun. 2013
P. Durrant (London, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)
Useful DVD to enhance Jolly Phonic Scheme, but very old fashioned. Why haven't Jolly Phonics updated this? My 3 year old son enjoys watching it if I put it on, but he would never chooses to watch it himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Jolly Phonics DVD (DVD)
Compliments the phonics my daughter does at pre-school and will follow on with at school. Its great as she sits there and watches it all.

Jolly Phonics DVD
Jolly Phonics DVD by Sara Wernham (DVD - Jan. 2005)