4.0 out of 5 stars Mabey back on form - great joy!
Published on 20 April 2008 by C. R. Cheesman

1.0 out of 5 stars Beechcombings
Published on 5 July 2009 by Jbooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Mabey back on form - great joy!, 20 April 2008
C. R. Cheesman (Abergavenny, Gwent) - See all my reviews
After the somewhat vague meanderings of Nature Cure, Richard Mabey pulls of a brilliant book that is both a pleasure to read and a real education without ever feeling heavy. The use of language is once again a triumph in evoking the feel and splendour of our beech woodlands. My only real gripes are that whilst the book is a much better and structured read the ending does seem to come about rather suddenly and that my favourite rural author, H. J. Massingham, is dismissed as 'romantic'. Well there's nothing wrong with being romantic and you have to place your mindset at the time when Massingham was writing. But we digress. All in all a thoroughly good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worthy of beeches, 22 May 2012
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beechcombings: The narratives of trees (Paperback)
I had heard about Mabey for years as a prince among nature writers, and finally got around to reading some of his books. If like me you are obsessed by trees, especially beeches, then this will make your heart sing.

Beechcombings is stuffed with fascinating facts about how beeches grow, live and die, their uses and diseases, the friendships they have nurtured and the landscapes they have enhanced. Half historian, half poet, Mabey has produced a book to carry with you on woodland walks, and to return to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beechcombings, 5 July 2009
Jbooth - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beechcombings: The narratives of trees (Paperback)
What a great book the beauty of the wildwood versus the influence made by man on our landscape the beautful trees created by coppicing and pollarding, the management of our wild places in history, the sadness of the landsape and habitat that is being destroyed discussed in great detail, Richard Maybe also writes in the BBC wildlife magazine I always read his article with great interest, this book is well worth buying.

Beechcombings: The narratives of trees
Beechcombings: The narratives of trees by Richard Mabey (Paperback - 4 Sep 2008)
7.45