4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a debut novel!
I had never read (or heard of) Sheila Quigley until it was recommended to me. I brought the first book as, although debuts are not always the authors best, they certainly give you a feel for the sort of writer they are.

Published on 12 Sep 2011 by Best Crime Books

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming
Had this in my pile to read for a long time and maybe I should have left it a bit longer.

Working class family has one of it's girls abducted as part of a human trafficing ring, at the same time a headless corpse is discovered that has links to the past and the same family.

Published on 13 Oct 2011 by Nick Brett

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 13 Oct 2011
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Run for Home (Paperback)

The author tries to make it authentic with too much swearing and use of words like "yer" instead of "you" and it just came over as irritating. While she captures the framily unit well and the bond and relationships between them, the rest is overly co-incidental or over the top.

This is not an awful book but it is one that was a bit of a struggle to get through and on the basis of this I don't think I will be picking up any more books from the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a debut novel!, 12 Sep 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This book I eventually got round to, and I have to say I am very pleased that I did. The story starts by the reader meeting the Lumsdon family. The main characters seem to be the eldest daughter Kerry, but we also meet all the brothers and sisters, as well as their mother.

When a body is found on the infamous Seahills Estate Detective Inspector Lorraine Hunt joins the story. In addition to the body, Kerry's younger sister Claire goes missing and pretty soon Lorraine is trying to solve both crimes.

The writing and characters I thought were great. Before reading this book I had read other reviews and found that some readers didn't like the use of the word "yer". I was a little baffled by this as I take it as a way of the author putting across the kind of characters in the story. I found it was no different to reading books where characters have a cockney accent and letters are frequently missing from words used.

I liked character of Lorraine but found it a little harder to warm to Kerry; having said that, I still enjoyed the book a great deal. The crime element of the story covers the murky world of kidnap and as the story came towards the end, it sped up and we reached what I thought was a pretty good ending.

I would probably say that as a debut this is a cracking book, but I am also guessing that like many authors her work has got better the more she has written. I have already ordered book two in the series and look forward to reading the next one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 April 2005
I liked many bits of this book, the characters were good - why we have the story of the the missing/transvestite husband is a bit of a mystery but....... - the main difficulty with this book is the bad language it is totally over the top and quite puts you off the book. I've tried to skip over those bits but there isn't much left, I'm certainly no prude but this level of bad language simply gets in the way of the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Run for home, 18 July 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This modern day crime series is a gritty look at how police endeavour to keep law and order on a council area near Sunderland, in England, where unemployment is rocketing and prospects are few.

Crimes range from the usual break-ins and car thefts, to drugs but that's the background and in the foreground we get a personal case to bring us closer to some of the characters, which involves a murder.

Nice to see a female police officer in charge. We also get a good look at some local families, who are only trying to survive and lead decent lives on minimal welfare. For instance a man who rents a house from the council, but illegally sub-lets it to other families at a profit, reckons that he is doing everyone a favour because the people he is housing do not qualify for council housing. Men know the goods they buy in the pub are stolen, but they don't see any other way to afford Christmas presents.

I think what stops this series from being great, is that there is a total immersion in the atmosphere. While a Council estate series is itself a contrast with many English crime novels, there is little or no contrast within each book. Therefore they all get to feel the same.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 21 Mar 2005
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run for Home (Paperback)
I am so glad to read the poor review of this book. Yes, bits of it were good - the family dynamics between Vanessa, Kerry, Robbie et al were excellent but so much was confusing and cringe-worthy. There were also way too many characters to keep them distinct from each other.
Lorraine and her hippy mother - mother was utterly unbelievable and given that Lorraine was such a super-woman the interactions with both Luke and the invisible husband just did not work.
What was the plot line about the gay husband who was also a transvestite and went to gay Elvis nights? And the HIV scare. All totally and utterly unbelievable rubbish. It should all have been edited out as it only serves to make the author look homophobic.
Worst of all was the drug culture becuase this was key to the plot of the novel. What drugs was Stevie supposed to be taking - the methods of drug use and his reactions to not having his drugs just did not make sense?
The author needs to do her homework a lot better and find a much better editor. I would certainly hesitate before parting with money for another dose of this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Run for Home (Paperback)
When I read the blurb, I thought this is my kind of book. Sadly I was disappointed. While the idea for the plotline was good, it did not live up to my expectations. I did not feel the fear I ought to have felt in Claire, the young girl who was kidnapped, or even in her family. Also, I would like to have seen more differentiation of character, particularly in their dialogue. The police inspector's language was little different from that of the criminals she was hunting or from the young people and the adults around them.
But what really put me off this book was the vast amnount of bad language. I accept that it was an integral part of the characters' lifestyle, but I'm sure the point would have been made more clearly by its more limited use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Gem, 17 Mar 2013
R. W. Briggs "novelistdude" (Tyne and Wear) - See all my reviews
When I first picked up this book, I was looking for something good to read as I was waiting for an appointment for which I was quite a bit early and called into a local independent book store, and saw Sheila's books lining a section of the shelves. I had heard of Sheila before this point and how everyone had raved about her first book "Run for Home" and I cannot say that I was disappointed.

Sheila has created a truly loveable yet determined character in Lorraine, who I was constantly rooting for throughout the boot, and I liked that she was what I call a true Northern woman, strong and determined. The story itself was fast paced and gritty and gives you an insight into a world that is sometimes mentioned but not ever fully explained and it was overall highly entertaining.

Sheila Quigley has a very cinematic writing style and despite whether you prefer purple prose or not, Quigley definitely converted me to the crime thriller genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars About time it was on TV, 31 Jan 2013
A first rate story keeping you guessing all the way...deserves to be filmed and shown on television or the big screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Jan 2013
Very good short story, easy to read, couldn't put it down as wanted to know what was happening. Would recommend to any one and to read the authors other books

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping to the end., 8 Sep 2012
I have read Sheila's books backwards, but I have found them tobe gripping from start to Finnish. I have not been able to put the books down for long. I found Kerry a typical teenager along with her family scenario very intriguing. The kidnapping plot in this I feel was very well placed in the book too. I can't wait to start the next adventure in Lorraine Hunts busy work life, let alone the personal one...............

Run for Home
Run for Home by Sheila Quigley (Paperback - 22 Mar 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01