5.0 out of 5 stars Another must read
"A pleasant walk in the woods takes a sinister turn for police chief Jeffrey Tolliver and pediatrician/coroner Sara Linton when they stumble across the body of a young girl. Incarcerated in the ground, she has quite literally been scared to death. Detective Lena Adams is called in from vacation to help with the investigation, and the trail leads to a neighbouring county -...
Published on 9 Aug 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed? Very.
I had high hopes of this book on the back of the author's previous releases. The two main characters were building up a connection with the reader and I was sufficiently interested to want to read more. I have read more and I rather wish I hadn't! The book does get off to a good and typical start but once the reader is diverted by a devotion to profiling Lena, I began to...
Published on 15 May 2006 by Michael Watson

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, gripping, thrilling and addictive read., 6 July 2006
Ms. R. Oven (Manchester, ENGLAND.) - See all my reviews
This book is amazing. Right from the start Karin Slaughter leaves you wanting more. The story is gripping, original and exciting. I had a few sleepless nights because i couldn't put the book down. The last book i read before "Faithless" was "Cross Bones" by Cathy Reichs. Reich's has the potential to be an okay author but when compared to Slaughter she is blown out of the water.

Slaughter is an extremely clever author with so many amazing twists in the story i couldn't list them all. I urge you to read this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. I am longing to read the next book ..., 16 Sep 2014
J. V. Cole - See all my reviews
Brilliant. I am longing to read the next book I have in series. How Karen Slaughter thinks up these brutal and chilling crime stories is amazing they make you so eager to get to the end so you can get on to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 21 Jan 2007
Matthew Lewis "chunx" (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
From the moment I first picked up the Karin Slaughter novels, I just couldn't put them down. I honestly believe she is among the best of authors today. Her pyscholigal thrillers grab your attention from the moment you first pick up the book. Her style of writing is brilliant. I particularly like the way how you see the situation from different characters perspectives. When you reach the end of the book, you feel like re-reading it as you get to know the characters so well!

The Grant county series on a whole is awesome and it raises issues that do occur even though the novels are designed to shock....

SO, get reading!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars another good book in the series, 19 Aug 2006
Hugh Sutherland "hughs1206" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have grown to like this series of books by Karin Slaughter and Faithless is another prime example of her vast ability as a writer. The idea for this book is interesting and rather unnerving in places and as usual it is well thought out and planned.

My reason for not giving it a higher score is that i feel that Lena and Sara/Jeffery (as a couple) have started to become a bit stuck in their development as characters. At the end of the previous books it appears that they are showing signs of changes, however when the next book comes along they seem to be right back where they started. I can only hope that after writing a different character in Tryptich, that Ms Slaughter will return to Grant County with a fresh perspective as there are faint signs of these books becoming stagnant, which would be a great shame as they are so well done.

2.0 out of 5 stars Predicatable, shallow and almost misogynistic to the female characters, 19 Oct 2008
Sara and Jeffrey discover a girl's body buried in the woods near Sara's home. During the autopsy, it's revealed that the girl was killed with cyanide and Jeffrey's investigations lead him to the Ward family, conservative Christians who run a community on the county border. Family head, Thomas, had a relationship with Sara's mother many years earlier, leading Sara to question her family history and it's discovered that the victim was pregnant, leading Lena to draw parallels with her own life, specifically, her own recent abortion.

Although I've never bought into Sara and Jeffrey's relationship, specifically why she continues to feel so drawn to a man who cheated on her, Slaughter makes it less credible by introducing a hepatitis scare early on that dates back to Jeffrey's affair. This allows Sara to wallow in confusion about her need for her ex-husband but the storyline's end is never in doubt and merely goes through the motions. Sara's secondary story regarding her suspicions of her mother's relationship with Thomas is ludicrous, turning on an assumption that no qualified doctor would make. It's a relief when Sara's mother calls her on her stupidity.

Sara plays second fiddle to Lena and Jeffrey (barely appearing after the half-way mark) but Lena is even less convincing of a character. Her abusive relationship is difficult to buy into, made worse by the way it's punctuated with cliches that never explore why a character as strong as Lena feels unable to pull away from Ethan (a stereotypical woman beater). Slaughter uses it to draw a weak parallel with a member of the victim's family, but you get no sense of what the other woman has gone through until the end of the book, by which time it's too late to sympathise with her. Lena's abortion is perfunctorily dealt with, only making an appearance when it's convenient. What I can't forgive though is just how useless Lena consistently is as a detective and why Jeffrey continues to give her second-chances. It smacks of tokenism and further reduces the character.

I identified the murderer about 10 pages after the character was introduced. Again, Slaughter shows no interest in fleshing this character out and their motivation is cartoony. I enjoyed the procedural elements, particularly the attention to detail during the autopsy scenes, but Lena's possible redemption by the end of the novel is too little, too late.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 24 Aug 2014
Kept me interested, a few twists and turns. I like reading her different series. My preference is the Atlanta series with Will Trent.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, 25 Oct 2014
I love the character's in this series, you feel as though you know them and live through every moment with them, a really good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars GRIPPING. COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN, 29 April 2007
I found this book impossible to put down, it was brilliant, I felt I knew the characters in this book......

Only, i felt the end was a little rushed, but a fantastic read all the same

4.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLY GOOD BOOK, 18 July 2007
Like all her previous Grant County books - it was an amazing read. Couldn't it put it down - read it in 3 days . Can't wait to read Skin Privilege. Keep it up Ms Slaughter !

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a chore, 24 July 2006
Scully Bloke (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I found this book, OK. Nothing more than that. The main problem I had was that the characters just didnt come to life. Delving into their private lifes was a little shallow and not really related to the story. The main thriller part again was OK, but could have been much better. It didnt drive me to continue reading it and many times I thought it a chore. So I would'nt recommend it. There are many better writers, James Paterson, Robert Crais, Lee Child, Patricia Cornwall.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

Faithless (Grant County Series)
Faithless (Grant County Series) by Karin Slaughter (Hardcover - 25 July 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01