5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing

3.0 out of 5 stars Delivers What You Should Expect
Published 13 months ago by Jim 8888

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami (Hardcover)
This is one of the most beautiful thoughtful books on loss and grief, and survival, that Ive ever read. I so wish that the author had not had to write it. But I think that it was ultimately hopeful, and reflective, and I learned so much from it. I felt a sense of loss too when it was finished, loss of the thoughts of a great mind and spirit. I want to wish the author well, and let her know that her work has meant we can bear witness to her loss, but also share memories of her family with her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 18 Mar 2013
I just could not put this down until I had finished it. It was heart breaking but had its funny moments. As a Sri Lankan myself I could identify with all the anecdotes and the quirkiness of the sri lankans. A wonderful book, what an articulate writer and my heart goes out to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living with grief, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami (Hardcover)
I grew up in the shadow of the Holocaust and have always been haunted by the question: how do people survive the loss of everyone they have loved? There have been many well-written accounts by people faced with devastating losses but few that analyse every single stage of grief as minutely as does Sonali Deraniyagala, who lost her parents, her two sons and her husband in the 2004 Tsunami. This is a painful book to read. But it is beautifully written, with fine insights not least the final realisation that though the years have deadened the shock, the absence of her closest family goes on expanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful but very sad, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami (Hardcover)
The author remembers the tsunami in which a 30 foot wave swept her away together with her husband, two children and her parents and only she survived. There are vivid descriptions of the tsunami itself and what it was like to be caught up in it; of the immediate aftermath (numbness, prolonged desire to commit suicide) and of a very gradual and partial recovery in which the dead husband and children and to a degree also the parents are brought, in a way, back to life as the author gradually connects with her memories of her earlier life and with the natural world.

This is a very moving book - very hard to read - but I found also very rewarding.

I note that the author thanks her therapist in the acknowledgements at the back of the book - the book makes perfect sense as it stands - but it did make me think it would be very interesting on another occasion to learn what the therapist had done to help with the process of mourning.

3.0 out of 5 stars Delivers What You Should Expect, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami (Hardcover)
Reading this book is like intruding on private grief expressed in a diary that you weren't really meant to find. You read it trying to find an expression of what it must be like to lose your whole family in one swoop of fate, and end believing that it's beyond expression. Can you live with it though? Unless you choose not to, what alternative is there but to hope it gets better? Some days are better than others, the book states, but it's a relative emotion. The book reminded me of a quote I once noted down in another autobiography of pain by Mikail Gilmour, "It will never be all right. It will never be all right again". No happy ending, no redemption, no reason, no explanation, just life in the raw. Hard going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 16 April 2013
Sandra Potts (UK) - See all my reviews
It was brilliant from beginning to the end. It makes you appreciate life. I cannot begin to describe the feelings of utter sorrow I felt for this lady. She is in my prayers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami (Hardcover)
This was so hard to read, because in her writing, Sonali Deraniyagala reaches to places that just hurt. She tells this story, with no embellishments, as it happened and the effect it had on her. You just want to reach out and try to hold her hand through the pain. Incredible that someone can have such a profound efffect on the reader.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for sharing the hideous experience and journey, 31 Aug 2013
Harrowing. It could happen to anyone. What a brave woman to share this very moving experience to make us all appreciate what we have and had. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!!, 28 Jun 2013
Peter Marsh "Poetryfan" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami (Hardcover)
Absolutely incredible book! From the first page to the last the short and long term impact of a tsunami that is for many but a distant memory haunts the reader. Could not put this book down and read it in a day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting yet transformative, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami (Hardcover)
I found this book utterly compelling, it is written with such honesty and courage. As the mother of two small sons, I constantly fought the urge to overlay my own experience, my own daily life, with that of Sonali. How would I have coped in the same circumstances, how can one carry on daily life when everything that once made sense has been ripped apart? Even imagining what she went through gives me a chill. Sonali's writing is beautiful, spare and unflinchingly frank. Brutal facts are presented cheek by jowl with gentle recollections and reminiscences of their past family life in London but she resists the urge to be sentimental, just presents facts as they were, as she saw them, not dressed up. Amazingly, although we never know her family alive, they come to life through her words. I feel I know those little boys, her husband Steve, even her parents, though they are more shadowy. Above all, her message is that love endures - the book is also a paeon to appreciating what one has, whilst we still have it.

Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami
Wave: A Memoir of Life After the Tsunami by Sonali Deraniyagala (Hardcover - 12 Mar 2013)
9.09