5.0 out of 5 stars The marvelous One Pair Of Feet
Published 7 months ago by sue winter

1.0 out of 5 stars This book did not hold my attention.
Sorry I couldn't get lost in this book as I like to do, found it a bit heavy going I'm afraid.
Published 6 months ago by Bird lover

5.0 out of 5 stars The marvelous One Pair Of Feet, 26 Jan 2014
I first read this book maybe 50 years ago, over the years I have read and re read it, and still love it, Monica Dickens had a wonderful way of of describing characters and events, some of which still make me laugh out loud. It is a social history of what it was like to train as a nurse in the 1940's, archaic in today's world of modern nursing. I saw on Amazon last July it was due to be published for use on a Kindle in December and could hardly wait to have it, best Christmas present I could give to myself. Highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monica Dickens - an entertaining storyteller who lived her books, 9 Aug 2014
I've read this many, many times in paperback years ago and now it's great to have it on kindle. This and 'One pair of hands' are really funny and describe life in WW2 England as Monica Dickens crosses class boundaries to try life in service as a nurse, or as a servant. Some rather un-pc vocabulary, not surprisingly, but some great characters and situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
an accurate description of modern history

5.0 out of 5 stars I love all of monica dickens books about her time in ..., 12 July 2014
I love all of monica dickens books about her time in different jobs. She conjures up life as it was in the 1930's and her characters come to life very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Read!, 17 Jun 2014
Just excellent! It is so good to find a real-life story, written with such skill and such great observations of people, places and events. I am methodically going through all the material you have on offer by her ( MD). Many thanks for a superb read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: One Pair of Feet: The Entertaining Memoirs of a Young Nurse During World War II: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC) (Paperback)
Monica Dickens inherited her great great grandfather's eye for observation. This is a hilarious read and wonderful to see it in print again. 'One pair of hands' about her time as a Cook General just before WWII is equally good

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont judge a book by its cover, 29 Mar 2014
Dont let the picture on the cover put you off!I loved Monica Dickens humour when I first read this when I was a teenager- and loved it even more this time, a historical account of the era- (and you have to remind yourself of this when reading some of the (now) non P.C. remarks at times) I am a nurse and found it fascinating that although written 60 years ago - many things have not changed - including the caracters and patients! An entertaining and educational read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 27 Mar 2014
What a cracking book by Monica Dickens, easy to read, funny and informative, get them all excellent for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 27 Feb 2014
A light and very entertaining read . Very true to hospital life at the time . It is so well written and easy to read with lots of laughs . The sort of book you will want to read more than once.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book did not hold my attention., 27 Feb 2014