5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic tour through Tracey's life (and mine).....
If this book has a target demographic, them I'm it. Two years younger than Tracey I've loved her work whether solo or as half of EBTG throughout my adult life - starting with Eden, retrospectively picking up on A Distant Shore, and then forwards all the way through to last year's Christmas album.

I feared I may be disappointed by the book, but on the contrary...
Published 18 months ago by Bob Stanley

3.0 out of 5 stars Says what happened not much more
An interesting enough read but not a great deal of depth to it. We pretty much know about the records but never had any insight into the relationship between Ben and Tracey. In his book he alludes to his depression, them almost splitting up - their relationship is only ever mentioned in passing here.

Too much "then we did this album" stuff...
Published 4 months ago by ourman

‹ Previous | 17 8 912 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, a story of art, 7 April 2013
I loved this, its open and honest and gives quite a good insight into a career in music. I listened to the albums on spotify while reading and that really enhanced the experience. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp as a Thorn, 6 April 2013
B. Wood "Magic Brian" (UK) - See all my reviews
Tracy Thorn chanteuse with Everything But The Girl has written a wonderful intelligent, frank and warm book deliciously evoking her time as an aspiring 'pop star'. Her lovely relationship with Ben Watt the male half of EBTG is touching and supportive.
Thorn's sensibility and nouse have got them both through a period of great adventure, drama and passion.
It is impossible to over-praise this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you, 6 April 2013
the only thing, that would have been better than reading it, would have been hearing Tracey Thorn singing it. on the other hand side - i've got the records!

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT sex,drugs and rock & roll, 3 April 2013
This music autobiography strikes a different chord from most of the genre. Tracey starts from her comfortable middle class family background in anonymous suburbs north of London , becoming a keen music fan when punk started to break through . The naive formation and performances of the cult band The Marine Girls, with their first album recorded in a garden shed, then going off to Hull University and teaming up with Ben Watt, who became her long term musical & lifetime partner in Everything But The Girl. Getting off to a flying start with their debut album Eden, with many influential and enthusiastic musical friends,then through time somewhat losing their way and being buffeted around by different producers,and becoming frustrated and rather disenfranchised by the music business process. Having largely fallen out of favour and being largely overlooked , drifting rather aimlessly,good luck then shone on them with the Todd Terry remix of Missing becoming a bona fide world wide hit, something that had previously alluded them. The chance somewhat unlikely link up with hip trip hop band Massive Attack as an invited guest vocalist, the critical illness of her partner Ben Watt, then the start of a new solo career. Balancing the ambition of becoming a successful popular music performer, with the maternal instinct to have a family and develop a cosy domestic homelife is an interesting challenge. She also gets a First Class degree and goes on to complete a PhD, has a consistent feminist attitude , not bowing to the normal expectations of women in the music business, and has a nice line in self deprecating gentle humour. It reveals that much happened by chance, it is easy to get carried along in the flow of the music business, but despite some difficult times, she seems to have ended up with a good work life balance and is now more in control of her life and destiny through her experience. Lots of fascinating asides about other music stars, this is a personal and honest account that is very readable and entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written story of a non pop star, 1 April 2013
Let me start by saying that I love the sound of Tracey's voice and will not hear anything negative about her. This is the story of somebody who is the polar opposite of today's attention needy celebs. Tracey comes across as a real human being who just happens to have an amazing voice and ability to write songs that move people. If you enjoy listening to EBTG and find books about ordinary people experiencing amazing events then this book is for you. Tracey mentions in here the book written by Ben which covers his almost terminal illness "Patient, the true story of a rare illness.".I only have the highest praise for that as well. Thank you for taking the time to write this and can we have another album, please?

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, moving and funny - what more could you ask for?, 30 Mar 2013
When I worked at the Our Price store in Croydon we were always on the look out for something new and interesting to play. One day we ordered a copy of Plain Sailing and it was played, and played, and played. Every time it went on the turntable somebody in the shop would come and ask what it was, and we would sell another copy. And I still have my original copy, and the single.

I followed Tracey and Ben throughout the years and was always a great fan, I loved the way the music changed and developed and I loved their integrity (I only wish I'd been able to see them live)

The book was a great read, I loved the association of the lyrics and the stories behind them. Reading about Tracey and Ben's meeting at university and how this became Plain Sailing just lit up my mind, and it jumped me straight back behind the counter in that slightly grotty record store. I was also fascinated by other sections of the book: I went to the Rock against Racism gig in Victoria park, and the mention of Patrick Fitzgerald (another performer I saw at university) bought another wave of memories flooding back.

I've rarely read such an interesting book by a performer, it is easy to see why Tracey got her 1st, the structure and language reach deep into you and are often intensely moving. As a 55 year old man I really shouldn't have been sniffing quietly into a tissue and dabbing my eyes whilst I was reading this on the early morning commuter train, but I'm happy to admit that I did.

Thanks Tracey, and please keep making your wonderful music, Long White Dress is one of my new favourites...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 5 stars, 29 Mar 2013
This was a very comfortable read that got better as I warmed to Tracey Thorn through the book. It's well written and very genuine it seems. She makes it sound like an ordinary life story, but its far from that and really made me remember the times she has sung through (or not) with fondness. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories oh Those memories, 24 Mar 2013
his certainly captyred a time when I was growing into adulthood nicely.Lots of memories on the advent of punk and attitudes at the time > I am a fan of EBTG and Tracies solo work so loved the honesty and the story

5.0 out of 5 stars As charming as her music, 23 Mar 2013
A wonderful insight into a fascinating career and a worthy companion to Ben Watt's brilliant mini-biography 'Patient'. Tracey brings the 80s and 90s music scene to life with a sharp eye and a wry wit. Thoroughly enjoyable. It only made me love her songs all the more for understanding their inspirations and backdrop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace...., 23 Mar 2013
EBTG HAVE FORMED PART OF THE SOUNDTRACK TO MY LIFE. TRACEYS BOOK HAS BROUGHT BACK SOME GREAT memories AND ITS fascinating to revisit her music from her own . Perspective. A must for all EBTG FANS.

‹ Previous | 17 8 912 | Next ›

Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star
Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star by Tracey Thorn (Paperback - 16 Jan 2014)
Usually dispatched within 7 to 10 days