5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic tour through Tracey's life (and mine).....
If this book has a target demographic, them I'm it. Two years younger than Tracey I've loved her work whether solo or as half of EBTG throughout my adult life - starting with Eden, retrospectively picking up on A Distant Shore, and then forwards all the way through to last year's Christmas album.

I feared I may be disappointed by the book, but on the contrary...
Published 24 months ago by Bob Stanley

3.0 out of 5 stars Says what happened not much more
An interesting enough read but not a great deal of depth to it. We pretty much know about the records but never had any insight into the relationship between Ben and Tracey. In his book he alludes to his depression, them almost splitting up - their relationship is only ever mentioned in passing here.

Too much "then we did this album" stuff...
Published 10 months ago by ourman

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 13 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want to be famous., 19 July 2014
A well written insight into the music industry from the point of view of an initially reluctant star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby, the (five) stars shine bright., 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star (Hardcover)
A fun, insightful and moving autobiography from a thoughtful and intelligent writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and funny, 11 Feb. 2013
Musician's memoirs fall into a variety of categories, but this one is unique in my experience. Tracey Thorn talks very openly about her experiences in music, how various major events occurred and some of the unexpected pitfalls of being a success. It's endearing that she can still relate to how incredible music success must be to so many people, and seems to retain some of the sense of wide eyed enthusiasm that drove her on as a teenager.

This is a very readable book and she has a warm way of writing. It's an infectious read and one I wholeheartedly recommend.

I'm doing my bit for funny writing at the moment, so check out the hilarious Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Zombie Death Monkeys. A spur of the moment buy & the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Very entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars TOO LIGHTWEIGHT, 22 Feb. 2013
Boswell (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
I sat and read this book almost at one sitting. Its very easy to get into and enjoyable. But at the end of it I didnt really feel that I'd got much out of it. For me Tracey came across as a bit smug. She touched upon several important events in her (and Bens) life but never fully explained them. I also found the inclusion of song lyrics after most chapters a distraction, proving that musical lyrics shouldnt be printed. A lot of them were banal. As for ending the book in 2007 and then using a weak excuse for doing so....mmm.
EBTG are one of the most underated groups ever and Tracey's last couple of albums have been sublime but in the end this isnt the book I'd hoped it would be.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy EBTG, then read this!, 10 Feb. 2015
Excellent read, wonderful prose. A delightful insight to EBTG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical and ordinary, 26 Mar. 2013
Absolutely loved this

his book it is beautifully written and a warm and unsentimental journey that I could really relate to

despite bizarrely about being a pop star.

E
I

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 21 Mar. 2013
Not particularly deep and meaningful but a well written account of a sort of popstar's life. It's a very light read but I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Language of Life, 9 Mar. 2013
It was a great insight into the life and times of Tracy Thorn. I`m a big EBTG fan and found the book hugely interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Feb. 2015
A great read - brought back memories of the 80s

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014
M. J. Gray (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
Very funny insight into the 80's music scene.

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 13 | Next ›

Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star
Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star by Tracey Thorn (Hardcover - 7 Feb. 2013)
Used & New from: £0.94