Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 June 2015
Every young woman should read this book. My copy has travelled the world, and I don't think their is a corner of the globe where this could not be true. It's not all gloom though, as it is a story of survival and is well written.
on 7 April 2013
This true story, of this lady lead's me to wonder what ,(If i were a woman), I'd do in the same cicumstances that she and thousands of others probably did. Hunger, and want, were prime problems to be solved in those awful times and, where the
choices were slim we would, I dare to say , take the easiest choice for the acquisition of a meal. Her book should be read and enjoyed for it's honesty. D.M Williamson
on 28 September 2013
An incredible book detailing the life of an eloquent German woman in her home city Berlin as it falls to the Russians in 1945. Astonishingly honest reflective prose dealing with difficult subjects, with such resilience and intelligence. A truly amazing personal account of this point in history. I could not put the book down.
on 20 September 2012
The book arrived very quick in excellent condition. I read the introduction to this book in the News Paper and it was then that i decided to order this book. It is fascinating book to reed. The expirience of the anonymous author is breath taking, what she was going through during the blitz in Berlin is unthinkable. I hope history won't be repeeted in the years to come. Highly recomendet book to reed.
on 27 March 2013
Great book and was an interesting read on the War experience of Berlin. book was greaty condition and would recommend it
on 26 May 2013
The author is very articulate and observant, She manages to describe frightening events by still keeping a sense of perspective and her sense of humour. She lets us see what life was like for ordinary people towards the end of WW2.
on 19 February 2008
This diary of an anonymous German woman records the disturbing events that took place in Berlin at the end of WWII, when the invading Russian army spent months pillaging and repeatedly raping the women of the city.
The author writes in a very honest and matter of fact way, without any sign of self pity, and I think it's this attitude she has, and the black humour she uses that's gets her through the terrible ordeal. I found this diary to be really unique and fascinating, and very well written, thanks to the author's journatlistic talent.
on 4 April 2010
Its hard to say that I enjoyed this book as it is a very sad true story. I like to read about real people and I love history so it was good to read someones experiences, it made the history and sadness come alive. If you like history this book is a must otherwise a piece is missing in your knowledge.
on 28 July 2013
Initially, I found it fascinating. By about a third of the way through, it seemed like more and more of the same. I gave up well before half way. It is claimed tobe authentic, but the claims seemed to be more hopeful than factual. I have my doubts. Particularly as the author insisted on remaining anonymous, and happened to be a well-travelled journalist from east Berlin who happened to speak Russian
on 3 March 2013
Saw this book in Berlin and decided to buy it once I got home - it was shocking and addictive to read. This is a part of the war that you are never told about at school. Highly recommended.