on 24 April 2013
Quite a gripping read - first book to be read via my kindle! Did seem to fizzle out at the end though as if it had run out of steam, other than hat the book was reasonably enjoyable.
on 5 September 2013
I liked this book, really made me connect with the characters described, also described the conditions well, it is the sort of book you just want to cuddle up and read more!
on 28 February 2013
I enjoyed the book it was well written and made me wonder what I would have done if Id have been in the same situation. I am now totally put off going on a cruise!!!!!!!
on 22 April 2015
Gave up
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
1914: After 3 weeks in an overcrowded lifeboat, Grace Winter is facing trial for murder, with the death sentence as a possible penalty. Her lawyers have suggested she writes an account of her experiences, which they hope will assist them in preparing a defence.

I wasn't sure what to make of Grace. She certainly has reason to be an unreliable narrator, and to downplay wishing anyone dead or any active role in throwing someone overboard. In fact, she appears to be surprisingly honest in revealing her more negative thoughts and feelings alongside her worries about her new husband.

This is a very readable novel, and quite thought provoking about the ethical dilemmas of survival - rescuing any more people from the water around the wreck would have put all on the lifeboat in jeopardy. There isn't enough food and water for those already in the boat, and some of the passengers are soon discussing "volunteers" to go overboard.

Given its settings, a lifeboat and a prison cell, this is a claustrophobic story, but quite a page turner.
on 18 December 2012
It left lots unanswered. I did like the style. It was a reading group choice with lots to discuss.Our reading group mostly liked the suspense but it was a bit dark.
on 11 March 2013
An interesting tale peoples lives and loves in years gone by. Not unlike Titanic but with a little more depth to how they came to be in there situations.
on 17 February 2013
This kept popping up in my 'recommended for you' so finally purchased it. It's a good story with an interesting plot.
Would definitely recommend it.
on 4 May 2012
Charlotte Rogan has captured the atmosphere of the situation and tension between the survivors imaginatively and with realism. My only disappointment was the lack of detail around the rescue, although it doesn't detract from the story line. Good story - I enjoyed it.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2014
A twisting, teasing story, leaving much to the imagination (although not the terror of being in a small boat on a big sea). Very unputdownable.