4.0 out of 5 stars Dark And Intense
Unlike some of the other reviewers I have not seen Damage, or read Josephine Hart's other books. I came to it with an open mind.

Published on 12 Mar 2011 by Helen

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect Damage, but nevertheless a good read
Published on 13 Jan 2003 by Shimsham

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark And Intense, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sin (Paperback)

It is a dark tale of a woman's obsession with her beautiful adopted older sister, and her resentment and growing hate for the beautiful, tall and lean, blond Elizabeth. The prose is precise and jagged. At time disjointed, but always beautiful.

I found the description of Ruth's stealing personal items from her sister and squirreling them away and bringing them out later as fetishes when the need took her, piquantly sordid.

The Lake incident was heartbreaking and I had to stop reading and compose myself. Tragedy follows tragedy and we see Ruth gradually taking on the identity of Elizabeth. Disturbing at times, eventually becoming an emotional car smash that one continues to read in utter fascination.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect Damage, but nevertheless a good read, 13 Jan 2003
This review is from: Sin (Paperback)
Having recently read Damage by the same author I was impatient to read Sin. Sin tells the somewhat disturbing tale of a woman obsessed with her sister with a mixture of love and hatred. The story is extremely readable, in fact I read it in one sitting, but the story is disturbing, and unlike Damage, I found it impossible to relate to Ruth, the main character, and unusually found myself totally disliking her. Both Damage and Sin are sinister tales of lust and spite, and although similar I can’t say that I actually enjoyed Sin, it had no particular outcome and left me feeling uncomfortable. However the book is very well written, and indeed is an easy read, but it tells the tale of an unkind, bitter and twisted individual and is frankly rather depressing. This will not however put me off reading further offerings by the same author, as I greatly appreciate her ability to describe emotion and engross the reader.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect Damage, but nevertheless a good read, 31 Dec 2002
This review is from: Sin (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnetic and ruthless, 6 April 2012
This review is from: Sin (VMC) (Paperback)
I decided to re-read one of my favourite novels, Josephine Hart's "Sin". It is an astonishing achievement and is one of the many novels that I really wish I had written. It is short enough to be devoured in a single sitting but like a wonderful meal leaves you hungry for more.

Hart's writing is a revelation with her short sentences and tautly controlled plot. The story is magnetic and ruthless and will hold you in its thrall until its tragic conclusion.

In Ruth Garton and Charles Harding she depicts the "ordered deceit" of two obsessives and the trail of devastation that their affair leaves in its wake. Ruth is a chilling piece of characterisation as the malevolent psychotic sister to Elizabeth, determined to wreak revenge on her "perfect" sister.

Hart's prose is hypnotic and powerful. Her addictive recipe uses simple ingredients and combines them into a lethal cocktail, and I find myself totally intoxicated.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a really absorbing page turner which is written ..., 25 July 2014
This is a really absorbing page turner which is written in a more engaging style than most. From the beginning it is very difficult to put down.

Sin (VMC)
Sin (VMC) by Josephine Hart (Paperback - 1 Dec 2011)