5.0 out of 5 stars Half The Sky
Published on 6 Sep 2010 by soulfire

3.0 out of 5 stars Got bored 3/4 of the way through
I did enjoy this book untill about 3/4 of the way through then got a bit bored and havn't bothered to finish.
Published on 13 Jan 2011 by K. Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Half The Sky, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: Half The Sky: How to Change the World (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book, many of the stories are very upsetting to read but,these stories are told alongside tales of inspiration. Women who against all the odds have pulled themselves out of their situation to make massive changes to their own lives and the world around them. I particularly enjoyed the fact that there were numerous practical suggestions on how you and I can make the world a better place. I have started sending this one to friends... it's definately worth a read and then passing it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars An thrilling, intellectual read...which will have you wanting to make a difference in the world., 15 July 2010
Half the sky is brilliant. i read it in the space of 4 days because i just couldn't put it down. Nicholas Kristof fills this book with stories aout how trafficking is a major problem around the world. How can female pregnancy deaths are shockingly high? Why is the govt not doing anything about these problems? Can we abolish sex slavery? Can we abolish the high death rates for female pregnancy? What can you do to help? Seeming as there is hope because we managed to abolish black slavery!!!!
All these questions and many more are answered in this book:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prescription for moving into action, 8 July 2010
This is not just a read - albeit an essential read as other reviewers have said. This book is a call to action. Forget the Book Club format of just sitting around discussing and socialising, this book requires action. Direct accounts of life experiences, often shocking but always inspiring, means that our lives and the lives of those in this book directly connect and these are presented in such a way that we cannot ignore the connection, nor can we remain passive.

It is a call to action where individuals can respond at the local level or the global - you choose. But for those of us privileged to have choices in our lives - we must choose what from of action to take in response to this inspiring book.

The implications are too great, the potential change too profound.

Indeed, not just an amazing read...

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 1 Dec 2010
Whui W. Lim - See all my reviews
This review is from: Half The Sky: How to Change the World (Paperback)
This book opened my eyes up to the issues surrounding female rights around the world, from honor killings, rapes to female genital mutilation. While I was researching on Female Genital Mutilation to deliver a presentation, my friend introduced me to this book which I promptly read from cover to cover. Whilst reading each story, I was filled with anger at the circumstances these women were in, but yet, often at the end of each story, there would be a silver lining, portraying how a woman's strength and courage can lift them up and away from undesirable circumstances. The selflessness and bravado of these women led me to examine my own life and what I can do to help out in the future, in whatever small way I can.

I was always interested in female issues but never found something which would stop me in the tracks of my everyday life and make me think this hard as to what I can do to contribute. This book did just that. If you are interested in female rights, maternal mortality, or simply, what actually goes on in countries less advanced in terms of female rights progression than ours, this book is well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you courageous enough to read this book?, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Half The Sky: How to Change the World (Paperback)
I was gazing up at the Politics section of the bookshelf, not looking for anything in particular.
I think I was just passing through.
All these loud, overstated books kept shouting down at me, their covers so noisy and cynical, when an unassuming book whispered to me from the highest shelf.
"Half the Sky" confessed to know "How to change the world".
My shopping rule is: if I'm still thinking about something after 3 days, then I purchase it.
"Half the Sky's" gentle whisper never left my thoughts.
Be warned: you must be brave - it's a difficult journey. Authors Nicholas and Sheryl take you deep down into the most immoral and desperate part of human affliction, you'll cry, question and rage in the first few chapters of "Half the Sky" but keep reading, there is a beautiful, wonderfully wise and powerful conclusion that will inspire you into right action (it did me).

"Half the Sky" is the book that has finally given women all over the world, one united voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Half the Sky by Kristoff and Dunn, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Half The Sky: How to Change the World (Paperback)
This is a really thought provoking book which makes no bones about campaigning on behalf of women round the world who have been tortured or enslaved. It is very easy to read, although very moving. There is a very useful list of groups and websites at the end of the book. However the authors are New Yorkers so the book is aimed at their countrymen and women. The content is relevant to everyone but the action groups are mostly American. It's a book that everyone should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A potential solution to one of the planet's biggest problems lies within this book!, 15 Oct 2009
Zoony (London, UK) - See all my reviews
While this book is not a light read - it has some gut wrenching stories of suffering that, if they were about citizens of any Western nation, would make media headlines internationally - it is also hugely inspiring and upifting. What seems clear from these pages, which was echoed by Greg Mortenson in his wonderful "Three Cups of Tea", is that educating, empowering and supporting women and girls in the developing world is probably not only the right and moral thing to do, but also our best chance to counteract the growing worldwide culture of extremism and terrorism. This book is the most powerful call to arms I have come across in recent years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and inspiring read, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: Half The Sky: How to Change the World (Paperback)
An insight into some very complex issues, this book is particularly good at giving a well balanced critique of what has worked and what hasn't from Western Aid to local 3rd world initiatives. A message of hope that we might be able to have a hand in overturning these injustices.

4.0 out of 5 stars a must read, 29 May 2011
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Half The Sky: How to Change the World (Paperback)
Half The Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, is a "must read". It is by no means an easy book to read; it is sometimes quite confronting; in places you will cry; you will be disgusted by the actions of some members of the human race, both male and female; the words and actions of some medical personnel, aid agencies, churches and governments will leave you gasping. But ultimately, this is a hopeful book. The authors explore causes of, and possible solutions to, maternal mortality, human trafficking, sexual violence, discrimination against girls and female genital mutilation. This book tells us that at least part of the answer is gender equality: educate and empower women. It is full of data, but also full of humanity. It has a few surprising facts about diverse things such as sweatshops, about Rwanda, about what interventions are and aren't effective, about TV and about salt. It demonstrates how local knowledge and grassroots programs are most effective in educating and empowering women.
I found myself frowning, smiling, crying and, quite a few times, laughing out loud! I especially enjoyed the way the Huichol tribe in Mexico ensure that the pain of childbirth is shared. If you despair at whether you can make a difference to the plight of women in the Third World, this book shows that you can. If the only action a person can take is to donate money, then this book guides the reader to where that will be most effective. We owe it to every woman who has ever suffered in the Third World to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 13 Jan 2010
D. Bowen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is amazing. One of those books which makes you count your blessings when you hear of the suffering in other parts of the world. It is really well-written by people who are passionate about their work. This comes through on every page. Those of us who live in the First World really have no idea. The tragedy is that the solution to such suffering seems to be just as far away as it ever was. This book is a trumpet call to everyone who cares for those who are less fortunate than themselves.

Half The Sky: How to Change the World
Half The Sky: How to Change the World by Sheryl WuDunn (Paperback - 5 Aug 2010)
9.09