4.0 out of 5 stars for the foodie with a broken heart
Rachel Samstat is 30 something year old, Jewish, cookbook writer from The Bronx, who currently resides with the love of her life, Mark in Washington D.C. They have been together for almost 8 years and still act like they just met . The couple have a two year old son and another on the way.All is well

UNTIL

She accidently finds a love letter from...
Published on 19 Jun. 2007 by Kris

2.0 out of 5 stars 'I managed to convert an event that seemed to me hideously tragic at the time to a comedy'
Light, easy read ; a semi-autobiographical account of the author's discovery - while heavily pregnant- of her husband's affair.
It felt as if it would make a good situation comedy: the Jewish couple, their friends and family and home helps, their psychoanalysts, the narrator's Group being held up at gunpoint...
Bits of it were quite amusing. I liked the account...
Published on 23 Dec. 2012 by sally tarbox

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 16 Oct. 2013
Having just found out my husband of 17 years has been having an affair for the last two and a half years, I gobbled this book up with relish. I loved Rachel's mind-wandering fantasies throughout; they made me smile, relating them to my own thoughts. A quick and easy read; a great tonic for me. Thanks Nora!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and sad, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Heartburn (VMC) (Paperback)
I found the book funny because being in the UK I know who she based the characters of Thelma and Jonathan Rice on as they are both still in public life. It was well written and touching in places also note the irony of it being endorsed by Nigella Lawson!

2.0 out of 5 stars waste of time, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Heartburn (VMC) (Paperback)
I was very disappointed with this book, expected better content from this author.
Barely raised a smile and irritated with the recipes (I would buy a recipe book if I wished to find a recipe) felt they were included for 'fillers'.

4.0 out of 5 stars marriage sucks but at least there's always pudding., 17 July 2014
Efe Avan-Nomayo (Edgware, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What I take from this book is that it all goes down from the minute you say I do and a nice simple recipe for vinaigrette. I'm going to miss Ms Ephron's wonderful way with words. gone too soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay ish, 15 Sept. 2014
This easy read shows off Ephron's wit in spadefuls but the plot is a bit lacking. I love New York humour but I sometimes felt I was reading a stand up routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant read from this US writer who is sadly no ..., 13 Jan. 2015
B. Ni Fhlatharta "Book Lover" (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heartburn (VMC) (Paperback)
Nora Ephron was one of the most observant and entertaining columnists of her time. Another brilliant read from this US writer who is sadly no longer with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Heartburn (VMC) (Paperback)
Nora Ephron's departure from this world is a great loss. But it's a good thing she left so many books behind her to remind us of her wit and humanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Heartburn (VMC) (Paperback)
Very enjoyable, what a horrible period in her life and what strength of character she showed. Although a novel, its based on her life events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 30 Nov. 2014
Her sense of humour in the midst of great sadness is simply inspiring. So Glad I read this book. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 2 Jan. 2015
Not the best novel I've ever read, but that's not the sellers fault!:D

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 | Next ›

Heartburn (VMC)
Heartburn (VMC) by Nora Ephron (Paperback - 8 May 2008)