4.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable insight to story of Maya Angelou's young life
Published on 20 Jan 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought -Provoking
I've read several of Maya's books in the past, mainly autobiographical and poetry. This is one of her eaarly ones and quite challenging. It depicts her early life and is earthy and slightly raunchy in parts, she leaves little to the imagination. I kept having to remind myself what she became later in life!
Published 19 months ago by J. Sagi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable insight to story of Maya Angelou's young life, 20 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This is a enjoyable and easy to read book. It is easy to start and once you get going you can't put it down. Maya Angelou involves you in her feelings and thoughts through her young adult life. It is about the pressures which she faces in trying to bring up a child as a innocent young black female, living in South America in the late forties. The book at first centres around racism and later around her struggle to earn a living and look after her son, while trying keeping her pride and respectability. Gather Together in My Name is the second of five books in her autobiography. There is no need to read the first one before this one as each book is a self-contained story. I found this an intresting book. Throughout the book you are overpowered by Maya's positive and outgoing character as well as by her kind and caring attitude to her son and others. I very much enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damn good!, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: Gather Together In My Name (Paperback)
Loved the book! I probably even enjoyed it more than the previous two of the collection of autobiographies by Ms Angelou. It was funny, witty and full of excitement all throughout. I actually found it hard to put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars if you loved the first one, 22 Aug 2014
if you loved the first one, you'll love this skilfully told, beautifully described short story of the author's life from sixteen to twenty. The story is a precious one which reminds women in particular that multiple failures, bad decisions and questionable behaviours have been among the frequent choices of even the smartest, most courageous and most successful role models, reminding all of us to get up and get going. In writing about her life, she instructs the reader in the difficult art of taking full responsibility for our actions but retaining enough kindness in the understanding of ourselves to move on without wallowing. If the story doesn't grab you, her exquisite ability with words will. Safe to say, I liked it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice, well written biographical stories, 1 Oct 2014
Really nice, well written biographical stories. The only reason I don't give five stars is because she is summarizing parts of the first book I guess in order to help the readers that haven't read the first book to follow this one. However, if you have read it, it sounds a bit like repetition. Other than that is a great book, in parts shocking, in parts funny, definitely worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Gather Together In My Name (Paperback)
Another book by Maya Angelou, for those us who think that we have some writing talent
a reminder that we have much less than we hoped in these books the words paint a vivid
picture every emotion is there. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a beautifully written book about a traumatic upbringing in the southern ..., 30 July 2014
Such a beautifully written book about a traumatic upbringing in the southern states of US. I am now eagerly looking forward to the next book in this autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Gather Together In My Name (Paperback)
Excellent follow up to I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I was also happy with the promt delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Gather Together In My Name (Paperback)
Follow up to I know Why the Caged Birds Sing. A remarkable story told by a remarkable woman.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 30 Nov 2014
This review is from: Gather Together In My Name (Paperback)
Good read, storyline is thankfully faster moving than the first book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt Read., 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: Gather Together In My Name (Paperback)
An inspiring read - I will try to read the whole set of volumes; recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Gather Together In My Name
Gather Together In My Name by Dr Maya Angelou (Paperback - 13 May 1985)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available