Format: PaperbackChange

on 20 January 2000
This is a enjoyable and easy to read book. It is easy to start and once you get going you can't put it down. Maya Angelou involves you in her feelings and thoughts through her young adult life. It is about the pressures which she faces in trying to bring up a child as a innocent young black female, living in South America in the late forties. The book at first centres around racism and later around her struggle to earn a living and look after her son, while trying keeping her pride and respectability. Gather Together in My Name is the second of five books in her autobiography. There is no need to read the first one before this one as each book is a self-contained story. I found this an intresting book. Throughout the book you are overpowered by Maya's positive and outgoing character as well as by her kind and caring attitude to her son and others. I very much enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone.
0Comment29 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 August 2014
if you loved the first one, you'll love this skilfully told, beautifully described short story of the author's life from sixteen to twenty. The story is a precious one which reminds women in particular that multiple failures, bad decisions and questionable behaviours have been among the frequent choices of even the smartest, most courageous and most successful role models, reminding all of us to get up and get going. In writing about her life, she instructs the reader in the difficult art of taking full responsibility for our actions but retaining enough kindness in the understanding of ourselves to move on without wallowing. If the story doesn't grab you, her exquisite ability with words will. Safe to say, I liked it!
on 31 December 2011
Loved the book! I probably even enjoyed it more than the previous two of the collection of autobiographies by Ms Angelou. It was funny, witty and full of excitement all throughout. I actually found it hard to put the book down.
on 20 March 2015
The subsequent volumes of Angelou's life-story do not have the same kudos attached to them, in the UK anyway, as her first, so I did not approach re-reading this with the same level of expectation. I found myself enjoying it even more than the first book and for me it is the strongest in the set. I probably read this one first when I was around the same age as Angelou herself in the narrative. Maybe it needed a bit more distance and experience.Angelou is in her late teens, has her baby son and is back living with her mother. It's largely a search for a career and her place in the world (not sure why it has the religious-implying title). She goes from Creole cook (with no experience of Creole food) to her most questionable action when her encounter with a couple of predatory lesbians sees her wanting payback by getting them to turn tricks as she becomes an "absent madam" in a brothel. She wants to join the army but is challenged by McCarthyism, becomes part of a dancing double act and is duped into becoming a prostitute herself. All within a couple of hundred pages! It is well paced and very involving.
on 8 April 2015
Loved this book-its the kind of book where you just get carried along and before too long you've finished the book and want to move onto the next part.
on 1 October 2014
Really nice, well written biographical stories. The only reason I don't give five stars is because she is summarizing parts of the first book I guess in order to help the readers that haven't read the first book to follow this one. However, if you have read it, it sounds a bit like repetition. Other than that is a great book, in parts shocking, in parts funny, definitely worth reading.
on 20 November 2011
Another book by Maya Angelou, for those us who think that we have some writing talent
a reminder that we have much less than we hoped in these books the words paint a vivid
picture every emotion is there. Wonderful.
on 30 July 2014
Such a beautifully written book about a traumatic upbringing in the southern states of US. I am now eagerly looking forward to the next book in this autobiography
on 23 June 2015
So much detail, I really feel as if I am watching this play out like a film. Can't wait to move on.
on 3 September 2014
Excellent follow up to I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I was also happy with the promt delivery