5.0 out of 5 stars Is this empowerment?
Feminism and the sexual revolution was intended to give women choices about their lives so that they didn't have to be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen. Natasha Walter's controversial book shows women have instead been placed in a straightjacket which dictates how they look, how they behave and what ambitions they have. The first half of the book is taken up with...
Published on 3 Feb 2010 by Damaskcat

3.0 out of 5 stars living dolls us??
This book it great - it encompasses all I've been saying for years about how the male establishment subjugates women
Published 19 months ago by Be Creative

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 4 Mar 2013
As a mother of teenage girls I found this book incredibly disturbing. It looks comprehensively at different areas of society and details the retrogressive steps we've made in relation to how we view and treat women. You won't enjoy the read but I would highly recommend it none the less.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read. Seriously., 4 Mar 2013
This is an important book. a very welcome addition to the line of fresh thinking in todays western culture. Walter writes vividly and gives delicious real-life examples about the misconception of equality and empowerment. I would especially suggest Living Dolls to young women and men who consider themselves even a tiny bit feminist. You'll think yourselves anew.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 20 Feb 2013
Walters picks up on gender inequality in a relatable, no-nonsense way that makes for a compelling read. An necessary guide for both men and women on understanding the troubles facing women in Britain today, this is an excellent eye-opener for issues most people seem to overlook or take as the norm. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a well-reasoned critique of sexism today, 15 Feb 2013
lr (Newnham on Severn) - See all my reviews
It's often frustrating to see how we've all been 'programmed' not to see the sexism and objectification that is all around us. Natasha Walter puts everything in to perspective, as well as giving a balanced view of some potentially seriously flawed research.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes!, 22 Feb 2010
C. Langridge "cassie" (Brighton uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism (Paperback)
So so much of the stuff in this book is stuff I can totally relate to and agree with. Loses steam a little bit in the second half, but still altogether enjoyable and accessible reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars living dolls us??, 21 Nov 2012
by playing on their need to be needed and loved. the media tells us that if we don't shave everything, look very thin; (at tescos a size 14, the average woman size is now large!!), wear make-up 24/7, wear the latest fashions and killer 6 inch heels, be a sex goddess anytime we're needed yet still to work full time and do most of the domestic chores. of course the bleakest outlook but this is how many women feel pressured to be.

airbrushing in mags and papers makes the situation worse as young girls think they too must be a size 6 yet have Jordan's breasts.

so a top 10 book for me as at last someone else has the same opinion as me!!

by the way if you object to bare boobs in the sun please `sign the petition here as the group is meeting with the Sun editors shortly.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Right in Many Things, 19 May 2013
Salim Ahmad (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a Muslim and a fully practising one at that, I can say that many of the points made in this book are spot-on e.g. that society many times treats women as purely sexual objects and degrades them. In Islam women are given dignity and honour through how they are treated and through their dress code. Some may say that Islam doesn't do this, however if someone were to study the Quran and the words of the Prophet Muhammad it would become clear that it offers more to women than many books on feminism.

I do not agree with how marriage is portrayed and I feel that for most people it would be hard too accept such an argument.

It interesting to see that Natasha Walter states she was wrong in the views she stated in her earlier book.

abuai@yahoo.co.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Go feminism, 20 Feb 2010
This review is from: Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism (Paperback)
The only thing that drew my attention to this book was the cover. Female objectification even sells feminism it would seem.

3.0 out of 5 stars SPEAKING THE TRUTH, 8 April 2014
Miss S (Wirral, Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism (Paperback)
In the info for this book its talking about womens sexual allure being the passport to success .

Im going to tell how it REALLY is .. I am a single women, first can we define Single , many women say , ohhh yes im single ( BUT) they fail to add , no I carnt hack it on my own so ive been living with someone , im not married so that makes me SINGLE , whether they live with man or a women . I would say to that , that's incorrect , they should point out im living with someone, not married , they need to say that , single is ME nearly 46 im not living with a partner, I don't have any children ( yet ) so im single a MISS that's more like it .

I have found , although I never hear anyone say ..ohhh dear the pressures women are under , I find they pressurize MEN by having kids to them after just sleeping with them , they may be in a dating phase and think yes I wont bother with the condoms if anything they GAIN from it by getting a flat and more things in her life plus this baby to HIM ..and they think I like having sex and don't want him to go or leave me , so I will have a kid without consulting him and its tough luck , many many many guys don't want thse children but they don't have a choice , they end up paying out for them and it affects them finding a partner they really want ,

In my time all these years , I have yet to meet a man that says he is single and means totally single , its usually ohhh I had a kid at 15 or 19 I didn't really want one but she just announced one day she was having a baby and I couldn't say have an abortion the whole thing was such a shock to find out ..so that means I have enter relationship PAYING OUT or seeing him paying for other children when im thinking but hang oj im 46 I can have them I have cycles but what about all these other stray children along the way with these women , NOT only that I have the worry if shes been that easy with him , how many others and what diseases did they have , older men have stis now , from women being nice and easy with them , if I get infected it affects my fetility and at 46 that's would mean hospital visits and at the very worst it could mean a removal of my uterus just with trying to find or thinking found the right partner ..but the most annoying part is blaming it on others these women , who look for someone to blame for her own inability to control her legs keeping closed ..they go out and go looking for it , that's nobodys fault but her own ..I culd do that but I could get someones husband and announce im having his baby and turn up on wifes doorstep holding this little bundle of joy , now that would be MY FAULT not anyone elses nothing to do with society ,.,

If anything , any books out there should be teaching women its ok to have periods in your 40's they stop them as soon as they can in order to have sex , they don't want bleeding put the damper on it , they want to have sex all the way though the month , many of these women having kids and sleeping around have no choice its gone by the time they are 25 and they have to have the uterus removed for some issue or repeated sexual infections and they may of had few kids and completed it at a very early age .. This type of behaviour it all has a knock on effect to women like me , who are tired of taking the crap for these little madams , but thse girls they cannot wait to take the panties off , they don't need to be pushed into it , they all walking round town pushing prams and saying how great it is being a single mother , would it be so great if the state refused to help them ..

As far as being pretty , I don't think need for debate , you either attractive or not attractive the girls that do modelling desp want to do it or have seen an area where they can make money instead of another type of job they use the looks and nothing wrong with that , your using your looks to attract a partner nobody goes with someone for a vagina ,\!!! but you d get women saying no he obtained sexual arousal as I had a nice personality at the end o the day she took her clothes off to have sex and manipulated him ..they seem to have issue about that some women admitting it., couples less attractive usually know the level they can attract and that's why I see lot a times a very large girl with a large to very large guy , both big eater have kids that are chubby .if these women could be pretty like supermodel , she may say wish I looked like her ect ..that's just jelousy ..pbut there is no pressures in society at all except , here we are for women like me who have regular periods , the pressure is at 46 to remove my uterus , I have endometriosis , its been on the bowel but removing a uterus wont make any diff it will carry on growing on the bowel but ive had an op to fix the bowel but I have a working uterus , I get bullied by WOMEN ALL THE TIME for being fertile .but I wont be if I get a disease of chlamydia of all these grannies who don't care about stis as one girl said to me as shed had her kids , someone my age and I thought yes you don't mind letting people like me get them , because that's bitter he was divorced so really women ..they can be funny but they generally are two faced ...thanks !!

2.0 out of 5 stars The return of sexism...but by whom?, 7 Jun 2011
This is more of the same that whining feminists, and some men, have been doing for decades.

Of course any thinking man or woman abhors sexism, or the notion that men or women should be exploited or otherwise viewed exclusively on the basis of their sexuality. However, this book does what every other feminist publication has done. It views sexism as something only women suffer from, and it ignores the blatant sexist inequalities evident in our society today. In other words, where anti male sexism is rife, like in our so-called 'family courts' for example, or in the fact that even our government has a Minister for women and equality (like there is no conflict of interest between these two quite distinct briefs), whilst having no Minister for men, women remain strangely muted. What of the BBC's flagship radio station, Radio 4? Every day it broadcasts the views of women on all manner of topics, via an hour of 'woman's hour', whilst it refuses to offer an equal platform for men. And what of the much alluded to pay gap? I have worked in a wide variety of roles, but have never known a female colleague earn more or less than me for performing the same or similar tasks, so why don't those keen to use this elusive 'fact' refer to specific cases? In doing so, we might have a clearer view of the true extent of any perceived inequalities.

Throughout history, women have exploited their own sexuality to attract the most eligible men, and one doesn't have to look far for evidence of that today. Do women wear low cut tops, push up bras, or revealing dresses for any reason other than to exploit their own sexuality to their advantage, and to attract men? In this men might be fools, but feminists like Walters should spend a little more time exploring the guile of the female of the species, and pen a book on sexism which is for once, honest.

Perhaps I am paranoid, but I wrote and submitted a review on this book yesterday, which seems to have mysteriously vanished into the ether. Perhaps it is true that the truth hurts?

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism
Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism by Natasha Walter (Paperback - 4 Feb 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01