4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book

3.0 out of 5 stars Hippie Happiness
Published 22 months ago by D. Elliott

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 26 Mar. 2007
M. Dring (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Married To A Bedouin (Paperback)
I have just visited Petra and met some of the delightful people of the bedouin tribe and our guide recommended this book. It is a thrilling, romantic tale set amongst the stunning scenery of Petra. The story is all the more remarkable because it is a true tale. Marguerite gives a fascinating insight into day to day life of the bedouin and vividly describes the remarkable surroundings. I finished the book a few days ago and was so enraptured by Marguerite that I am still wondering what happened next. Please write an up to date epilogue!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hippie Happiness, 27 Jun. 2013
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Married To A Bedouin (Mass Market Paperback)
Having visited Petra before the Bedouin settlements were removed I looked forward to reading `Married to a Bedouin' and identifying with an area I had found truly amazing, and I was immediately attracted to the map and landmarks I recognized - but I was disappointed at the book's lack of depth. In spite of its alluring subject matter I found `Married to a Bedouin' to be a somewhat tedious read, particularly in its use of Arabic wording. There is no doubting the strength of the bond between author Marguerite van Geldermalsen and her Bedouin husband, but most of her writing on relationships is superficial. She is very much a hippie traveller rather than a writer and her narrative is made up of anecdotal snap-shots that allow only glimpses of her time in Petra. Certainly Marguerite achieved happiness, but she avoids or downplays the negatives of what must have been unpleasant or hard. Even so there are fascinating insights to Bedouin lifestyle and culture, and of course it is a true love story, but it is only an average book - hence 3-star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books, 26 Aug. 2007
Mrs. Khadya Almula'a "Kawakeb" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Married To A Bedouin (Paperback)
the thing that made me pick this book is that to exploer how a young women fron Newzleand leaves everything behind her and lives in a cave in the Jordinian desert. this book is really intresting it gives great details in how the bedioun lives. i highly recommend the book to anyone who is intrested in the middle east and how any one can do anything for the sake of love.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Married To A Bedouin (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book very disappointing. It is a disjointed series of musings, or you could say ramblings, describing the author's life in Petra. The book was very poorly written: there is no plot, suspense-building or proper story-telling, just pages upon pages of description, which quite quickly gets pretty boring. After finishing it, I did not feel that I knew the author any better. She gave very few opinions, insights into how she was feeling, and all of her descriptions appeared to carry equal weight in importance no matter how big or small. For example, her parents visiting from New Zealand or the birth of her first child got the same amount of attention as finding describing a new car, or finding a scorpion. All described in a rather distant, bland way..

A pretty poor attempt at telling what should be an interesting story. I wouldn't recommend even if you have been to Petra and can identify with the palces mentioned. You would be wasting your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, without being cheesy or overly-romantic, 14 May 2014
Kelise Franclemont (Bloomington, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Whilst looking for writing by Victorian female Orientalists in the Middle East, I ran across this title while and picked it up (Kindle version), hoping for a contemporary perspective on the area from a Westerner's eyes. Also praying it wouldn't be overly cheesy-romantic tale full of handsome dark-eyed men on Arabian steeds, coloured robes flying behind them as they rode across the desert sands. Thankfully it wasn't like that, just a simple tale related by a down-to-earth young woman from New Zealand, who went traveling in a gap year and never meant to meet her lover on that trip. This is the story about the chapter of Marguerite's life with her husband Mohammed in Jordan, which she called home for 20 years (before he passed away from diabetes complications).

"Married to a Bedouin" reads like someone's telling their story over many afternoon coffees, with some funny anecdotes, some bittersweet, so if you're looking here for some deep socio-political commentary from a Gertrude Bell type, you won't find it. Just a nice lady who misses her life partner greatly, and wanted to share their lovely story. Recommended (especially if you want some intimate insights into Petra/Jordan before your next holiday there).

3.0 out of 5 stars Married to a Bedouin, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Married To A Bedouin (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this for a book club. I don't think I would have chosen it for myself but it was interesting reading about Petra & how the people there lived.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique Experience, 28 April 2013
I bought this because I was visiting Petra and thought it would give an interesting human perspective on the site, which it certainly did. Margueritte describes her life with a wealth of interesting details. It was lovely to talk briefly to her son when I visited the book and jewellery stall he runs at Petra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Petra, 4 Nov. 2013
I picked this book up at an airport on a whim. It is well written and a very personal account of the author's life once she visited Petra for the first time, met her future husband, his family and friends and lived within her new Bedouin family and went on to raise a family of her own. Written with humour and noting the slow lifestyle changes that in a short time changed their lives. This book inspired me to discover more about Jordan and to visit Petra recently and I was not disappointed; the souvenir sellers, mule owners and guides are very much there and although they now 'commute' in, it is obviously still their city and they continue to conduct their businesses with good humour and welcoming smiles amongst the ancient tombs and their former cave homes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking but I would read an update., 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Married To A Bedouin (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to be honest. If this book was half the length it was then I would have given it more stars. Some of it was very interesting. Much of it was not. I wanted to know more about the cultural differences and if it effected her relationship. Actually I really wanted to know more about her emotions. I know other reviewers said there were too many Arabic words in this book. I personally thought that wouldn't bother me (Being a Muslim married to an Arabic speaking husband myself). However I agree it was too much and rather repetitive at times. However if she ever brought out a second book describing how her children are faring now and if they consider themselves Bedouins too, I certainly would read that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 20 May 2014
I bought this book (on Kindle) after my holiday in Jordan, as I wanted to understand more about the Bedouin way of life. This book gives a good insight into every day life living in a cave. I would have liked more in-depth information about how the woman actually felt (about her husband, her children etc) because (a) I am nosy and (b) there was a depth lacking in the book which was more descriptive about what they ate and wore than her feelings. A romance it is not. If you are interested in the Bedouin people, this is one woman's very interesting take on it.

Married To A Bedouin
Married To A Bedouin by Marguerite van Geldermalsen (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Nov. 2009)