Format: Hardcover|Change

on 31 January 2006
This collection of fairy tales compiled by Angela Carter is a truly wonderous feast for the imagination. With not a glittering fairy in sight, this collection is not for the faint hearted. Jealous mothers, evil old hags, beautiful maidens and enough handsome princes to satisfy even the most ardent fairy tale enthusiasts dream. I completely lost myself in these stories, escaping into a world with a heady mix of adventure, passion and magic. After reading one story, I found that I could simply not stop myself from greedily gorging on another. A book I shall always treasure and one I shall never forget.
on 26 January 2008
I really love this edition by Carter. It was given to me as a birthday present and was so glad it was this copy of fairy tales. I was unable to put it down, even if its not for the faint hearted. Any fans of fairy tales or caters would love this as a new edition to their book shelf (mine is near my bed, where i can dip into it now and again. Buy as a present for someone or for yourself, you won't be disppointed, just eager to read each tale.
on 16 February 2013
This is the perfect book to turn to once your daughters have outgrown 'Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf'. My daughters are 6, not all the tales are appropriate. Most offer a firm feminist grounding in the ways of the world. there are no silly princesses dreaming of frilly frocks here, but wise women and clever girls looking after themselves and their loved ones with power and self confidence. Inspiring for me and for my daughters. I stronly recommend as an antidote to pink pulp.
on 31 January 2006
on 29 January 2015
Absolutely beautiful. I bought this as a gift and she was delighted. I highly recommend this book to adults and children alike. I personally love the stories and enjoy reading them out at story time.
on 23 September 2011
This book certainly does offer all the things previous reviewers have identified. However it is not a new book as far as I can tell, but a re-issue of the first and second "Virago Book of Fairy Tales" edited by Angela Carter. It is lovely to have the new edition but it would be nice if the information about the book made it clear that it is a re-issue.The Virago Book of Fairy Tales;The Second Virago Book of Fairy Tales
on 5 February 2015
Some of the stories here I read from a fairy tale book my mother had when she was a child (back in the early 1920s). They're just the same - Angela Carter has really produced a compilation of traditional stories. But what a lovely collection. I'm really enjoying them.
on 7 July 2011
I love this book because it puts a spin on your concept of traditional fairy tales, introducing the traditional themes (witches, monsters, love) but in unusual contexts from all around the world.If your looking for something a little different then this is the book for you!
on 29 November 2015
I LOVE this book, it's not written by Carter but is her compilation and foreword of world stories from different traditions. Brilliant stuff.
on 11 May 2016
This is an extraordinary collection of less well known stories from all over the world. Anyone who knows Angela Carters writings will find their expectations of brilliance and originality well met. Those who do not know Angela Carter are in for an even better surprise.