on 4 January 2004
The universality of this autobiographical account of coping with the barbaric slaughter of a beloved husband and father-to-be is mirrored, in microcosm, in its author's mixed Hispanic, Chinese, Black, and Caucasian lineage. It is a triumph of the universal human spirit that Mariane Pearl has courageously risen above bitterness and hatred in reaffirmation of the challenges and joys of living. Her moving memorial of her late husband's personal and professional achievements has elicited tributes from world figures and ordinary citizens on all continents, and is itself a testament to the indomitability of love and faith in a world that increasingly resembles a theater of the absurd.
on 20 October 2005
The story defines strength and courage, from the the first line right till the last page.
A bitter experience which brings people of different nations, religions, cultures and beliefs together. This book has re-instilled my belief that people can work alongside one another, live alongside one another despite race, religion and colour. I hope people can learn from this book.
A great read and an unbelievable story of this woman's experience
on 27 April 2004
Such a well written book. Marianne Pearl has managed to give her accountof this heart wrenching story of the kidnap and murder of her husband,while still providing an educational insight into this fundamentalistworld. Whilst being intrigued by the detail on this underworld in Pakistanone minute, you will be feeling every ounce of emotion of herrollercoaster nightmare. YOU WILL NOT WANT TO STOP READING.
on 5 February 2008
By chance I saw the movie made from this book and felt afterwards that I wanted to read about these events in their original version. I got my copy of A Mighty Heart and read the whole thing the same day! I would definitely recommend that people read Mariane's book rather than rely on the film to tell Daniel's story. While the film surprised me because it was better than I expected it would be, the book is one of the most moving things I have ever read. Heart breaking but uplifting. I would recommend this to everyone. It has certainly changed many of my views and I feel compelled to broaden my knowledge in terms of its subject, the ever growing issue of terrorism in our modern world. I have a new founded respect for the service that journalists provide for us and am thankful for the fact that I have had my eyes opened as widely as this.
If you are in any doubt about ordering this book then dont be! Its amazing, give it a try.
on 4 December 2013
This is not only a deeply affecting book. It provoked me to think about what it means to be skeptical of the security services and their "terror" powers. These people are a danger in their own right. Yet A Mighty Heart showed me the other side - the lurid jihadi hate network that these forces confront.

Muslim Extremism has been largely caricatured in the press. From a comfortable western point of view jihadis can exist only through the lens of South Park. Yet the up-close view presented by books like A Mighty Heart strips away these stereotypes.

That's partly because of the appalling impact on the book's author - kidnapped journalist Daniel Pearl's wife Mariane, who narrates the hunt - and ultimate discovery of his death - with a taught, context-full description that shows the journalist that she is.

But it's also because Mariane's situation - 6 months pregnant, utterly in love with her husband (and then distraught over his disappearance) gives sympathy to those trying to help her. Hundreds of doors are kicked in in their search for Pearl. Cemeteries are dug up. Officers are told 'no torture!' (fat chance); another guy drafted in to help has a specialty in kidnapping kidnappers families.

Yet the Jihadis manage to out-evil even these highly dubious 'security' forces. Pearl's beheading via a curved scimitar - shot in documentary-like fashion by his abductors - shows a cold-blooded murder, a cruelty that is almost impossible to imagine - that portrays the most barbaric of our contemporary bad guys in a positive light.

It's a pretty dubiuos choice between an evil-doing security apparatus, and an entire subculture of god-sanctioned murderers. But A Mighty Heart goes to show that the forces that "protect" us are equaled - and in this case overtaken - in their race to the bottom by the forces they fight against.
on 5 August 2009
A Mighty Heart: The Daniel Pearl Story

Even already knowing the barbaric outcome, this book was stunning. The courage of Mariane and her deep love for Daniel, and their joint wish for truth, shines through throughout. Pregnant when Daniel was captured, she kept hope alive until there was no hope, and then kept his memory alive for the sake of his unborn child. It serves as a timely reminder of the bravery of reporters, who often take calculated risks to bring us the truth.

Highly recommended. Read the book first, and then watch the film
on 29 July 2008
This heart-wrenching book will keep you turning the pages as though it were a blockbuster, not the terrible story of one woman's loss. Even though you know the tragedy that is coming you can't help but live through Marianne's hope that her husband is still alive. A triumphant mix of religious and political background with the real human story that so many news reports fail to make clear. The messages of support for the Pearls at the back of the book are very moving and a great uplifting way to end a tale of courage and human spirit.
on 20 February 2016
loved the book. the story of Marianne and Daniel pearl is really amazing. I read this book thinking the 'mighty heart' was Daniel but I left the book knowing that it was Marianne.
Absolutely fantastic read.
on 6 October 2011
Great book something you can read time and time again......Watched the film firsty and then couldn't wait to read the book...now...I want to watch the film again....!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 19 July 2014
A moving and absorbing real life account of the last months of Daniel Pearl and how his wife Marianne dealt with being in Pakistan after Daniel was kidnapped by Islamic terrorists. A window into the mind of the terrorists and jihadis who plague the world , whether it be the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan ruling the areas under their control with terror, Hamas and Islamic Jihad targeting Israel's
civilian population , Islamists killing Buddhists in Burma or killing Christians in Nigeria, Iran's atrocities against women or Islamics in Britain waging a rape and sex slavery jihad against British children

While we know the outcome of the kidnapping in Daniel's death (gruesomely murdered for being Jewish) the hunt for the kidnappers and Marian's determination to get to the bottom of this heinous deed and see her husband again is thrilling , heartbreaking and shows what special and valiant woman Marianne is.

As she says what remains of Daniel is her son Adam. Moving letters from a host of people around the world to her and Adam after Daniel's death.
Including one from President Bush and one by his wife Laura showing how despite the demonization by the media and world left the Bushes are in reality amazing people.
an example of the heartwarming letters include a sample of this one from a family in Israel: 'Here in Israel as we celebrate the Festival of Purim, it is difficult to find happiness in our hearts as we live in the shadow of terror, We can only pray for better times and a better world...May our children grow up to know a very different reality from the present one