4.0 out of 5 stars American Literature written by women
Published 5 months ago by Dorothy Barbour

2.0 out of 5 stars roxanaredrose
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by roxanaredrose

4.0 out of 5 stars American Literature written by women, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Jury of Her Peers: American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx (Paperback)
This is a really informative book but wearing its scholarship lightly. It provides a historical overview from the eighteenth century up until modern times and covers poetry, prose and drama. It reads well and provides biographical details as well as evaluations of the texts themselves and the themes that interested these women. Feminists do have to grid their teeth at some of the situations but then, that is the way it was. Best we can do now is know about the situations. For anyone who wants to know about American women's writing, this book is a joy. It fits well with the short story anthology "Scribbling Women"- Hawthorne's polite, respectful description - some real gems in there and a story called "A Jury of her Peers".

2.0 out of 5 stars roxanaredrose, 9 Jan 2011
I must say I was somewhat disappointed by Showalter's book. I expected more from her, actually I expected a history of women's fiction. What I found was rather a survey, the history did not quite coagulate. The commentary on individual writers was superficial, the level was that of a review, not something you could actually use in class. This is the second time I teach a course on women's 20th century fiction and I had hoped to use this as a textbook. No such luck. It's pleasant reading, but the kind you can safely take on holiday.

8.42