on 2 April 2014
I have read a great many histories and accounts of this massive conflict ranging from a 13 volume set titled "the Great War", published at the time, through to this publication. I liked the way the author(s) linked the history and progress of the war in its many theatres to actual artifacts from the period as held in museums. The book is well written and each chapter describes the artifact shown. It is a book I am happy to recommend to others whether or not they are versed in this period of our history almost a century ago. I have a personal interest in this period as my late father served in France as a rifleman with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, also last year I was able to travel through the areas of France and Belgium where he saw action.
on 2 May 2014
I found being able to see the object and learn their significance to WWI made the events more personal and significant. I learned a great deal about events which are not normally covered in WWI histories which tend to focus on trench warfare.
on 21 April 2014
I have not finished this book yet. Because it is broken up into 100 sections you can read a few and then set it aside for later. Well conveived book and will I am sure give my many happy reading days in the future.
on 11 September 2015
Not to be confused with the similarly titled "The First World War in 100 Objects", this is just as excellent as one would expect from a book associated with the Imperial War Museum. Many of the objects are on view at the museum. It is a somewhat different presentation, in some cases using more obscure objects of the war as the lead-in for text describing events of the war. The photos for each subject (color and B&W) are high quality and accompany the subject pages, rather that being grouped in one or two photo sections somewhere else, as is the case with many books. Being ex-military (US) and living in France, I have a moderate expertise on many of the subjects, but in several cases I became better informed on these. Highly recommended for anyone with interest in WW I -- amateur and advanced alike.
on 17 May 2014
Quite a different way of bringing the Great War to life on paper. One hundred different objects each one significant in its own way. Nice little pieces you can dip into in any order when you feel like a read.
on 5 June 2014
This is without doubt, an excellent book.I have read a few books about the First World War. The idea of short chapters, tying in to items from the Imperial War Museum is like touching history itself. I am sure I shall dip into this book many times in the future. The book has made me aware of many facts about the war I have not read elsewhere, leading me to search out other related reading.
I am sure there is room for more books like this.
on 9 December 2014
Absolutely fascinating. A large book full of serious and fun information to dip in and out of. An excellent research tool for anyone interested in WW1
on 2 July 2015
Purchased for my son who has always had an interest in the 1st and 2nd world wars. He found them really interesting and I would recommend this book.
on 15 April 2015
If you want to read a book about WW1 you will not get much better than this.
Also a great insight of the build up to war from all sides.
on 17 December 2014
Bought as a gift for somebody - looks great, could read it myself. Its the kind of book you dip into now and again.