5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic - and useful!
Published on 29 Dec 2009 by Sarah vS

3.0 out of 5 stars A misspent childhood regained
The truth is, the books you remember as a kid were probably not remembered because they were great, but because you read them when you were a kid. Anyone else remember the story Apple Pigs? No... exactly. But I remember it with fondness.

Published on 24 Oct 2011 by John Bookman

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic - and useful!, 29 Dec 2009
This review is from: 1001: Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up (Paperback)
I whole heartedly recommend this book to all parents (or anyone who wants to give books to a child or teenager) - to rediscover books you read when you were children that have stood the test of time and remain brilliant pieces of fiction for today's children. It is also great to highlight books that have been published more recently which would otherwise be off your radar. The reviews of the books are thoughtful and well written with useful lists of similar novels that might also appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1001 Books, 21 Jan 2010
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I really enjoyed leafing through this huge, doorstop-sized tome. It's got a clear, modern style of presentation with lots of colourful photos of book covers and summaries by a variety of contributors.

On the downside, the index is a bit of a mess, with E. Nesbit's The Railway Children missing for example, whilst actually being present amongst the 1001 books. The arrangement of titles into age groups also means books by the same author can be scattered around rather than lying next to each other.

However, overall this is an ideal way of finding new authors to read and being reminded of a few forgotten classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best money I ever spent on a children's book, 17 Nov 2010
Mrs. L. M. Pena "Goth Queen" (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
I borrowed this book from the library and immediately I got it home I knew I needed to have it. I have bought so many books for my children and as presents through reading the reviews. It is absolutely magical, nostalgic, reassuring when you see books your children already have, and each illustration takes you into a different world. What a find. I have already bought another to give as a gift for a friend with a small child. Captures the attention of so many friends who come to the house too. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

4.0 out of 5 stars 1001 Children's Books, 17 Mar 2011
My daughter bought me this book for Christmas and I spent most of Christmas day dipping into it. For anyone who has had children, there will be memories of books you have enjoyed reading with them. There will also be old favourites you will remember from childhood. It will almost certainly make you want to re-read some of the titles you remember. It is up-to-date but inevitably it will date quickly and there are more comprehensive publications which give lists of recent books. It includes books published in other countries which may be of interest to some readers.I am a children's librarian and was pretty much in agreement with most of the titles which had been included. A wonderful nostalgic book which is also a serious reference to 1001 books you really should read before you grow up or even if you are already grown up!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A misspent childhood regained, 24 Oct 2011

The brilliant thing about this 1001... franchise is that it does give you the original artwork of the covers. And just when you couldn't remember whether it was Joan Aiken or Ursula Le Guin you wanted, the index or the page on the book will clarify.

Some of my childhood favourites: the Moomins, the Uncle books about the millionaire elephant (with the absurd Quentin Blake illustrations), Henry Treece's Viking sagas, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, Redwall (which drew me in as a young teen purely because of the fantastic cover), Brendon Chase by the mysterious BB, Just William, most of Roald Dahl, as well as a sequence of blistering novels for young teenagers that are so good everyone should read them: To Kill a Mockingbird; Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry; Northern Lights; Noughts & Crosses; Curious Incident of Dog in the Night-Time; Private Peaceful... I could go on.

Not forgetting a glorious selection of picturebooks, which now I enjoy at first-hand with my son. Some of these are a bit more hazy in my past, I have to confess.

I did have the feeling, I must confess, that some of the choices in this book were indiscriminate - there were a couple of token modern representations, when essentially the book is a dip into the past. The contemporary children's book scene is so vibrant and crowded that it really deserves a book on its own; and this is where books themselves discover their own limitations.

However, you will not be able to put this book down for some time once you have picked it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reference book to read cover to cover, 10 July 2012
K. Stone (north London) - See all my reviews
I've bought this book several times to give to new parents. It gives information on books at every age and also gives some wonderful jogs to the memory of one's own childhood favourites. Clearly laid out, well written and great pictures of the covers. Excellent international coverage too. Highly recommend to anyone with kids or without.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1001 Children's Books you must read before you grow up, 25 Oct 2011
This book is superb read. It lists out literally 1001 books and divides them into suitable reading age groups 3+ to 12+, because of this the book is literally massive! Perfect for a parent encouraging their child to read more and rapidly needing ideas to help expand their child's mind and creativity.

With this book, it is more like a directory listing the origins, genre and also providing an excerpt of the book to give the reader an idea of what each book is about. A useful tool for helping primary school teachers find suitable text for their class.

It's not too late to revisit your childhood books, even if you are not a parent and just a grown up. With this 1001 Children's Book, I am sure there are loads that you will remember reading as a child. There are most certainly plenty of enjoyable books to discover now as an adult. And yes Harry Potter books are mentioned too!

Most definitely a Must Read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this cos my sister has it really useful book for the inspired parent!, 16 July 2013
Really useful for the uninspired parent! Bought it cos my sister had it expect it to be really useful. Really

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Big Fat Volume!, 16 July 2013
I could spend hours dipping into this book. I wanted it to help me make choices for my grandchild - which it does really well - but I also enjoy a little nostalgia with it. I can remember reading so many of the books to my son as he grew up and some which I loved as a child myself. Lots of the books included are more recent and I would not necessarily have come across them without the help of this huge tome. I love it and will find it helpful for years to come. An excellent "Grandparents' Guide".

5.0 out of 5 stars 1001 childrens books.., 4 April 2013
I bought this book as a gift for my 5 year olds upcoming birthday and it is just perfect. The books are categorized by age group and I was pleased to see an 0-3 age group as I have an 18month old as well and there's some great books covered in there for him too. Beautiful book, lovely illustrations. Would recommend this to anyone who loves to read

1001: Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
1001: Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare (Paperback - 22 Sep 2009)
Used & New from: 19.54