5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Letraset, this is a brilliant self-indulgence!, 20 Sep 2012
C. M. BYATT (Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Encyclopaedia of Typefaces: The Standard Typography Reference Guide (Paperback)
I'm not in the graphic design business, but as a child I was fascinated by fonts (typefaces, if you want to be pernickety!). I used to pore over the Letraset catalogue, and when word-processors subsequently started making different fonts relatively easily available in the late 80's, suddenly I could play around with them myself!

I would concur with the other reviews here so far about this book's content. Also, as suggested by another reviewer, Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield complements it perfectly.

If, like me, you are fascinated by fonts but a graphics neophyte or incompetent, put both these books on your wish-list. They're fantastic; one just to dip into and whet your appetite, the other to take a quirky journey through five centuries of fascinating, and at times bizarre, background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reference..., 27 Oct 2010
Im currently a third year Graphic Communication student at University and I purchased this book because its a great investment. Whether you're a student or designer. Its great for finding different typefaces and for also making interesting combinations. Would HIGHLY recommend this one to any designer or student.

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional use, 8 Jun 2013
is really an encyclopedia, which is essential to know in detail
the immense font univers, excellent tool and search. indispensable for professionals...

5.0 out of 5 stars My type of type, 1 Dec 2012
This is a real gem of a source book, having had my typographical appetitie wetted by JUST MY TYPE. Like most adults my knowledge of fonts comes via Microsoft menus. However, I have always been intierested in lettering and this is a useful compendium to copy from. I like the trndy cover design and the layout of the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sample book for those working with type and fonts., 4 Aug 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Although I have never actually worked in the print trade I was, as a child, fascinated by our local small printer and used to watch and help him when I could. Many years later, needing professionally to write complex and detailed reports, I remembered some of his advice and bought this and one other book to help find a few fonts other than the over-used Times, Helvetica or Arial that could be used.

I also found a use for it in being able to identify typefaces used by others in printed documents that I thought worked well in that instance and endeavoured to use that font myself when able.

The book is intended for the print trade, in its broadest sense, but it may be a worthwhile acquisition for the larger office where text is used, for example legal, medical, architectural offices and even scripts may be good uses.

ARRAY(0xae4c9744)