5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning !
Published on 9 July 2012 by Mrs.B

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't work for me
This `coffee table' size books is, as described a selection of satellite images of the earth, arranged by continents. Each is beautifully produced with text commentary but there are at least two problems:
Published on 28 Aug. 2011 by Andrew Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning !, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Above the World: Stunning Satellite Images From Above Earth: Stunning Satellite Images from Above the Earth (Hardcover)
We have had this book for a while and it caught the attention of our two brothers-in-law when they came to stay recently. In some ways it's a real 'blokes' coffee table book - they all pore over it working out where their houses are or showing off how much they know about the world (sorry guys..). It is truly stunning though - brilliant at getting across what an amazing and beautiful planet we live on. And yes - us girls love looking at it too.

Because they were so impressed, we turned to Amazon's Amazing Aladdin's Cave of Delights to find more copies and sent the boys one each, including this one. It's a big book so this was a great way to get it to them as they live quite a distance away. And at a great price - I believe it was MUCH more orginally. They were totally thrilled. Now all they need is the coffee table..and some more boys to impress...

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't work for me, 28 Aug. 2011
Andrew Walker "Andrew Walker" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(i) The book was produced in 2005 but with packages such as Google Earth, some of the `normal' photos of cities or areas look quite familiar to our "second-decade-of-the-21st-century" eyes.
(ii) You might be wondering what I mean by `normal' photos and that's the second problem: the other type of photo included highlights electromagnetic radiation and shows it in different colours, described as being like works of art. For example, I have the book open at a picture of Budapest, where the city shows purple and the Bakony Forest to the west and north shows up as red. Pictures of the Maldives show up as light blue and the hills inland from Mumbai are green and ochre. This probably depends very much on your taste but the unusual colours really didn't work for me - it was if nature on its own was not good enough so mankind has to colour it in to make it impressive. I'm sure features don't show up as much without the highlighting in red, purple and so on, but that's why we use labels and captions to explain.

This book might work really well for you, but I was disappointed and my copy is off to the charity shop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Above the world - a good title, 20 Jan. 2013
Mrs. B. K. Milner (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
The book was compact but really beautiful land pictures of the world. Not the normal unusual shots but the every day shots that give you a better picture of the land seen from above. I really loved this aspect.

Used & New from: £0.01