4.0 out of 5 stars Liberty Love
I have had a life long love affair with Liberty. It's where I bought the fabric for my first ball gown, the circlet of wax flowers and yards of silk tulle for my wedding veil and Tana lawn for my little girls' first summer dresses.

Published on 14 Oct. 2011 by C. E. Hopkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Liberty disappoints...
I really love Liberty, the fabric, the shop, the whole bit. I liked the heft and feel of this book, but I feel it's a sumptuously produced, beautifully photographed book of - not a lot.
Published on 22 Nov. 2011 by Marge

4.0 out of 5 stars Liberty Love, 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)

Any book with Liberty in the title should have plenty of beautiful photographs of their exquisite prints but this book excels itself with a fabric cover, gorgeous endpapers, double page reproductions of designs at the beginning of each chapter and a directory of prints at the end.

My test of a good craft book is that it should not only look good and the projects should work. I made up the cooks apron. The design is great, the pattern very easy to draw and the cutting and making up instructions spot on. It took me about an hour to make.

I love this book, leafing through the illustrations, reading a little of the shop's history, it conjures up all my visits to Liberty. Climbing the wide creaking oak staircase, sauntering through the fabric department checking the feel and colours of the Tana Lawn and lingering over the matching print wash bags and the cushions. If you share my Liberty obsession (or would like to discover an extraordinary emporium and grow to love it) you can, and with the help of this book, make your own cushions, make-up bag and curtains to boot!

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST something to do with all that LIBERTY fabric we have been storing, 26 Sept. 2011
As a Liberty fanatic, I was awaiting this book with much anticipation.
I am not disappointed. There are lots of simple things to make in this beautifully produced book.
My favourite is the stunning peacock which cleverly uses the pattern in Libery Hera/Caesar or Isis fabric.
The Roman blind in a stunning monocrome art nouveau print is also inspirational.
All the photos show fabulous items made up in Tana Lawn - some of which probably aren't too practical for creating e.g. bags - as it is not a strong fabric. That aside, this book is a new inspiration and a much needed update to the previous Liberty home sewing book which is awfully dated (both in design, items and colour schemes).
In truth, the book has few truly original items to make but the use of iconic Liberty Prints refreshes enthusiasm to get the Sewing Machine out and start using up those pretty remanants. I wish I could get to some of the Liberty sewing days at Regent Street but this will have to do in the meantime.
This will definitely be something I will be buying friends this December!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh so pretty..., 29 Sept. 2011
Sewing Directory (Devon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)
When you think of Liberty fabrics the first words that come to mind are patterned and luxurious, the same can be said of their sewing book. This cloth covered book is a visual delight with the trademark Liberty prints appearing throughout; both used in the projects and on the pages of the book themselves.

The book starts off with an introduction to the history of Liberty Fabrics which makes and interesting read, and then goes into the projects. The projects are split into 3 categories: Essential, Organisation and Luxury and include several different cushions & bags, a beanbag, Roman Blind and Kimono amongst others. The projects are of course made up in beautiful Liberty fabrics and are accompanied by gorgeous detailed colour diagrams as well as several pages of instructions. The detailed instructions & diagrams mean the projects would be easy enough to make even for a novice sewist. You will also find a useful Sewing Basics section at the back of the book.

This book is a must for any Liberty fans, and great for novice sewers looking to make beautiful things for the home as well.

This review originally appeared on The Sewing Directory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, but..., 2 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)
I was very impressed by the book, the illustrations and photography are lovely. The book is filled with excellent projects which I will be making including the gorgeous peacock pin cushion. My only complaint is that the furnishing fabric that they used to make the stunning art nouveau blind hasn't been sold at Liberty's for the past three years (I asked the sales assistant in the department), in fact she told me that Liberty's haven't stocked art nouveau fabric at all for a few years, clearly something they should rectify quickly! So do bear in mind if, like me, you go all the way there to get the supplies...

3.0 out of 5 stars Liberty disappoints..., 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)
The actual content was very disappointing, and the projects largely impractical; there's actually nothing in the book I would like to make. The quilt projects in particular are poorly explained, using outdated methods. Not written by a quilting expert I would guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberty Book of Home Sewing - The Delia of Home Sewing, 9 Jan. 2012
L. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)
This book is great! It's the "Delia" of home sewing in that all the projects I've attempted have worked and turned out pretty much like they look in the photos and this has given me the confidence to adapt the patterns a bit and come up with my own take on the projects. I'm a returner to sewing, having learnt the basics at school and had an old hand cranked Singer in my late teens / early 20's. The projects in this book are so well explained that it would be difficult not to get them right on a really basic sewing machine and the end results are very pleasing and satisfying.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was a very limited book, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)
The book was very well laid out but, if you want a book that gives you more day to day assistance with tasks this is not the book for you, I thought that this would be a good addition to the book already in my possession I was wrong.

It has lots of pretty tasks to perform but they have relatively little use.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book from Liberty, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)
This book is beautiful and full of Liberty prints and fabrics. The ideas are lovely and I simply love the peacock item in the book and hope to have a go myself. My only hope was perhaps more photos but maybe its me and I should look for a Liberty print book rather than sewing. All in all a wonderful book to add to my ever expanding bookcase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to look at, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully produced book and you just want to flick backwards and forwards between the pages. But.... the instructions are difficult to follow. I couldn't have coped unless I was being helped by my mum, a very experienced sewer. I'm sure it misses steps out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liberty Sewing Book, 12 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Liberty Book of Home Sewing (Hardcover)
This book is lovely and would be a wonderful present for someone who likes to make things for gifts. I have just made the rose cushion, using Christmas materials. It looks lovely, really easy to do. I am almost tempted to keep it for myself!!

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing
The Liberty Book of Home Sewing by Liberty (Hardcover - 3 Oct. 2011)