Format: Paperback|Change

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The presentation of this lovely collection of toddler and baby knitting patterns is just gorgeous and exactly what I'm used to from Debbie Bliss. If you have any of the other Debbie Bliss toddler and baby books it might be worth checking out the contents before you buy this one as, as far as I can see, the patterns have been given a makeover but they're repeated from other books in the range.

A word of caution; you're led to believe only Debbie Bliss yarn is suitable for these patterns. While the Debbie Bliss range is top quality yarn it's also incredibly expensive and other cheaper yearns will do the job. Work out how much you're spending on the book, knitting needles, accessories and then add the cost of the Debbie Bliss recommended yarn - it can be scarily expensive to hand knit. I'm not criticising the book, merely offering a word of advice to new knitters.

Not all of the patterns are easy and straightforward, some require working from more than one set of needles, but there's enough inspiration to challenge experienced knitters while offering smaller projects for those newer to the craft.

Beautiful ideas and pretty designs but not necessarily practical.
VINE VOICEon 16 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A beautiful book with 50 patterns from Debbie Bliss. There are clothes - including a very cute beret - and cuddly toys too. They are special, suitable as gifts or as items to pass down through the family. Accordingly, some of them are quite difficult, but there are easier projects too for the less-advanced knitter.

Some of the patterns call for specific colours and Debbie Bliss-branded wool, but I ignored these instructions and used wool of a similar weight and ply: the results were very good. I would recommend this for someone with some experience knitting, but overall I think most people will find the book has a good range of patterns with clear instructions.
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a beautifully presented collection of patterns for babies & toddlers which I would recommend if you don't already own any of Debbie Bliss' other baby/toddler knitting books. I don't think there's a great deal new in this volume.

As is often the case with books by designers with their own ranges of yarn, all the patterns are "supposed" to be knit with Debbie Bliss yarns, which would render a lot of them incredibly expensive. This is not a criticism of this book in particular, but it is worth pointing out, to newer knitters in particular, that there is a lot more flexibility in yarn choice than the book would have you believe.

So, although it contains nothing very unique, many (most) of the patterns are very pretty, and if you are a knitter who likes the photographic inspiration, or simply must work from a printed pattern, this is a good value book.
on 19 December 2012
There are some lovely designs in this book, but of the 3 patterns I have used so far there have been errors in each one. The most significant error to date is the quantities given for the buggy blanket, when, instead of 7 balls, 11 are needed. (I have confirmed this with Debbie Bliss.) This makes the cost nearly £60, and I would not have made it if the quantities had been correct.
It is very disappointing that the proof reading/ testing is not better.
VINE VOICEon 9 April 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Bought this for the wife who would describe herself as an "average" knitter. The book itself is lovely-glossy with the requisite pictures of gorgeous babies of all colours and sizes. The yarn suggested is, of course, all Debbie Bliss. Not sure how practical a lot of it is (cashmerino for a baby in its upchucking phase? really?). There is good variety in terms of bigger projects and smaller ones, easy and hard, toys and clothes and blankets. I'm still trying to work out why a 3 month old needs a knitted bathrobe! I can't comment on the sizes-I guess time will tell with knitting various pieces and sizes.

There is a handy section at the beginning which runs through the basics of knitting, including cast on, knit, purl, increases, cast off, decreases, reading patterns, stitch type, cables, intarsia, reading charts, stranding, weaving in, seaming, picking up stitches, knitting in the round, embroidery and pompoms.

The book is beautiful enough to give as a gift (the wife suggests not giving it to a beginner as the patterns may seem to daunting!) but also useful enough to buy for yourself.
on 9 March 2013
Love this book and continue to make a lot of the items, however, I seem to have to re-do each new patten at least once! The instructions tend to be very detailed in some places but lacking in others.
on 7 June 2013
I first had this book from the library and liked it so much I decided to buy my own copy. It includes a good selection of patterns, from large items such as blankets down to small items such as bootees, which is good value if you had to buy the patterns separately. Even though all the wool recommended is by Debbie Bliss, it is not too difficult to substitute a different brand. However her wool is of such good quality and if you are spending hours making a large item I think it is worth paying that little bit extra for the final result. If I had any criticism of the book it would be that some of the items are not shown completely in the photographs. There are lots of photos of lovely babies to illustrate the items but it would be helpful if the bigger items could be shown in their entirety to assist with the pattern. (e.g. The sampler blanket.) Even so I am happy to recommend it.
on 10 April 2013
I got this book out of the library after a quick flick through it. Within half an hour of getting home I had ordered it on Amazon! The designs definitely have a touch of class about them. The pictures are beautiful and text layout is very user friendly. I had just completed one jumper and one matinee coat for my five month granddaughter. So to match, I knitted the 'picot' bootees page 264 ( beautiful and so easy) and the sandals on page 262 ( fabulous... but challenging). 12th row of pattern: Next row [ P next st tog with corresponding st 7 rows below] to end.....WHAT!?
Despite being a knitter on and off since I was 18, now 62 I had never come across this before. I own up to it taking me 3 hours to crack it and complete the first sandal but it was so worth it! The finished result could easily sell in a baby boutique for £35/£40.
If you are a beginner don't be put off please. Have a good look through this book. I dare you not to want it!
on 27 August 2013
there are no newborn knits, and that is what I focus on, so it was disappointing for me when it arrived. I haven't used it once
on 25 July 2011
The Ultimate Book of Baby Knits is a lovely book to look at and the patterns are inspiring. No problems so far with the detail. However, the weight and format of the book makes it slightly awkward to accommodate while you knit (it does not lie flat when open). A photocopy of the pattern you are working on solves that. If you already have a book of baby knits by this author, don't buy this book because it is a compilation of previously published patterns. I contains 50 patterns, 5 of which I would never knit. The other 45, well you never know. I am on the second one already.