Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 November 2010
I bought this book for my niece for Christmas, however I then had to order a second for her as I loved it so much I kept the first one for myself.
I haven't done cross stitch for years and never tried tapestry, I finished the little purse that came free with the book in one day and I have now started on a cushion cover. The instructions are clear and concise and it even comes with a conversion chart for different makes of threads. Absolutely great would recommend to anyone!
on 20 December 2010
Having enjoyed CK's previous book Sew! I was really looking forward to this one and found it a complete delight. This book is all about cross stitch (tapestry / needlepoint) and the simple step by step instructions made it really easy and enjoyable to make some really beautiful things. Each project in the book is rated by difficulty so beginners as well as more experienced cross stitchers can enjoy it. I hadn't done any cross stitch since school days (very basic stuff) but I have now made beautiful pin cushions and cushion covers, all with CK's beautiful designs, and thoroughly enjoyed it! The book comes with all the materials you need to complete one of the projects (everything except the needle!) so you can pretty much get started straight away, and in the back of the book there's a list of suppliers for everything else you need to complete the other projects which is really useful. I ordered all my tapestry wools, needles and canvas from a listed online source which was very reasonable and arrived the next day! I would completely recommend this book for anyone crafty.
on 16 October 2010
As both an avid stitcher and Cath Kidston fan I have been waiting for this book for a long time - I am not disappointed! The book is fabulous with the bonus of a free cross stitch kit for a purse I didnt even know was included! The photography is stunning and the patterns are just what you would expect from one of Caths books. I am pleasantly surprised that not everything is floral - lots of quirky and retro designs in there too!

Overall a great price for a beautiful book!
on 19 October 2010
Everything I hoped for. Lovely contemporary patterns that are so hard to find in cross stitch normally. I think it is brilliant value and a lovely book. Pre ordered arrived ahead of expected release date which is great as it gives me time to make things for Christmas gifts (sorry family)
on 8 December 2010
I got this a few weeks ago and have already completed the patch badges and the lavender heart project, having no experience in cross stitch or tapestry at all, although I have done some sewing etc. in the past.
I'm planning on completing a larger project such as cushion next.
All you need to get started are some needles, wools or threads and some aida. You can pick all of this up to complete the smaller projects from a local craft or sewing shop or online for just a few pounds, and the results are very rewarding.
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2010
I love Cath Kidston's style and I have both of her previous books and so was excited when I heard a third book was in the pipeline. As one of hobbies, as well as reading, is cross stitch, I was itching to get my hands on it!!
As with her previous two books there is a great kit included for one project. This one is for a purse with a stitched design to add to the front. There is also a great section at the front of the book with a stitch glossary, great pictures and technique descriptions. There is also a section of how to start, sewing essentials and those all important finishing touches.
Many of the projects included within the book have been photographed and described as needlepoint designs (with tapestry wools) however, i will be trying many of these projects substituting with cross stitch threads.
I really like the projects in the book, although as previously stated, i will be swapping the needlepoint designs for cross stitch. I also like the full instructions which includes all the finishing techniques, I have so many finished cross stitch designs which I need to display in some way - what a lot of ideas i can try from this book.
The Union Jack Cushion and the Cowboy seat cushions or cowboy picture will be the first designs I will be stitching from this book.
The projects are all accompanied by excellent colour photographs and some of Cath's top tips.
The only suggestion I would like to make for this book was that it was a shame that although there was a conversion chart for each project in the back of the book for the different manufacture threads (i.e. anchor/dmc and maderia) it would have been nice to have a conversion chart for tapestry threads to embroidery threads for those, like me, who would like to swap the tapestry/needlepoint designs for cross stitch and vice versa.
I hope you can see that i absolutely adored this book and I will be using it regularly for my stitching inspiration.
on 22 November 2010
As I already own both `Sew' and `Make' (disappointed with one, loved the other!) and am a complete stitching novice, I was intrigued as to how I would rate this book. I'm glad to say that it lives up to my expectations and is probably my favourite book of the three.
Needlepoint and cross-stitch are not crafts that I usually indulge in and so I found the introduction section particularly useful, clearly explaining the various stitches and techniques that are needed for the projects. I was glad to see that the projects don't stay at the beginner level though, but are graded through to more difficult or longer term projects such as the rug and seat cover.
Although there is a fair spread of projects in the book I did find the range slightly limited- there are a lot of cushions and pouches of various kinds, (and does anyone ever use a candle shade?!). I was particularly drawn to the use of soluble canvas to embroider designs onto clothes and other objects and am wondering if I can maybe use some of the needlepoint ideas as cross stitch designs in this way too. I am also thinking of possibly using some of the designs on a smaller scale to make pictures with.
Of all the projects included within the book, my favourites by far are the Union Jack designs and I can't wait to start the cushion. I do however, also want to make the Electric Flowers cushion, the Stripe rug, the pincushion, the gadget case....
For those crafters who are not so keen on Cath's instantly recognisable florals, don't worry! There are plenty of her other designs included in the book and it would not be so difficult to adapt these to fit other projects.
Though the variety of projects seemed a little limited to me, the book does contain a lot of ideas and designs that could be used as a starting point for other gifts to make for yourself or others. As a long time lover of Cath Kidston's designs and products, I thought the book itself was wonderfully photographed and whether you buy it for yourself or for someone else, is a real addition for any Cath Kidston fans out there. Would I recommend it? Definitely.
on 9 February 2011
This book is so good its not true. Every single thing in this book is brilliant, the instructions are clear and precise , i will start with the lovely vintage style union jack cushion(which has been done to death everywhere but this one is great) , and who knows where from there!!! Well worth the money and all things needed are so easy to source via the internet, you dont have to leave the house! i hope cath does another of these. well done
on 7 November 2010
This book is pure loveliness!
Some great little projects detailed step by step for beginners through to the more advanced level, including beautiful cushion designs, ideas to add a little something to clothing and everything from a tea cosy to a rug!
The beginning of the book gives you background information on needlecraft, teaches you the basic stitch techniques and details all the different types of equipment.
All the colours and weights of thread are given for each project, with a really helpful guide at the back to the product codes for the specific colours from main manufacturers.
15 lovely projects and plenty of inspiration for much more!
on 28 October 2010
For anyone with a love for crafts, Cath Kidston, or indeed both, this book is a must have. I have all of Caths books and was delighted to add this to my much loved collection. Stitch! takes you through cross stitch, and tapestry in the usual friendly, easy to understand manner. This book leaves you feeling inspired to get down to the local haberdashery, buy your wools and needles and get started. This book would be a lovely gift even for those starting out. Included is all you need to stitch and make your own purse which is a fabulous bonus. Caths beautiful, homely prints can be yours to make. This book was well worth the wait.