4.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh culinary air
The design and layout of a cookery book is make-or-break, so let's start by saying: some people will dislike this book immensely. Not the recipes themselves, necessarily, but the pared-down design. If you like your cookery book to be filled with photographs of the dishes (so you know how they are supposed to turn out!), this is not the book for you. There are no glossy...
Published on 20 Sep 2010 by Roland Cassard

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, not overly practical
There seems to be a trend amongst cook book writers to make them replete with glossy photos of glistening mouth watering food which the amateur cook is highly unlikely ever to replicate. This book however has no photos except on the inside covers and a few drawings.

Published on 23 Oct 2011 by D&D

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, not overly practical, 23 Oct 2011
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Kitchen: Real Food from Near and Far (New Voices in Food) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Let me start by saying that the book is immensely readable but I actually found only a handful of dishes I was even tempted to make. There is no one style to the cooking it is in a real sense a travelogue cookbook of dishes picked up from other countries.

Just looking at the recipes again whilst writing this review I am struck by the diverse and occasionally obscure ingredients recommended. If there is one thing guaranteed to put me off a recipe it is the need to track down buttermilk or a tasty ripe tomato (other than out of a tin).

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really what I was expecting, 22 Sep 2010
M. Dale (East Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Primarily I expect a recipe book to be just that, but if I had to give this book a description I'd probably go for "lifestyle". It attempts to take you on a journey as the author describes where and how he came across various recipes and the book is interestingly divided by month rather than by food category, but that means you have to read through the whole book and attempt to find a recipe you like the look of.

A more major problem was that there just weren't that many recipes I was particularly interested in. Soups and salads seem to feature prominently whereas I'm more interested in cooking big, hearty meals.

Having looked through some of the existing reviews the word 'pretentious' has been used a few times, and I'm afraid I'd have to agree. Maybe I'm not the target audience for this book, but I can't really think of anyone I would recommend it to.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very limited readership, 22 Sep 2010
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife was really looking forward to receiving this book, but what a disappointment it turned out to be. We have really struggled to find even one recipe that we would both like whereas usually we would find at least half a dozen worth trying. Half the recipes seem to be for side dishes masquarading as mains and the vast majority require ingredients that will be very hard to source unless you live in or very near a large town with either a very good deli or a decent sized middle and far eastern population.

Overall the tone is very Hoxton pretentious; a recipe can't just include kale, it must be forced sea kale (which apparently more shops are selling now, although not down here on the South Coast by the sea). And how about a recipe that contains himalayan basmati rice - never heard of it?Don't worry because Stevie (someone really should tell him that the only male who can carry off the name Stevie without seeming an utter d*ck is Mr Wonder)tells us that all basmati rice originates in the himalayas, which begs the question, why specify himalayan basmati why not just say basmati?In the end I found the book so pretentious that I couldn't bring myself to try anything.How about some nice japanese food?Well, until Stevie lived in Japan he didn't really understand japanese food so there's not much hope for the rest of us clods who have never even managed to visit Japan let alone live there.

In my opinion, if you are over thirty five, or don't live in a large conurbation, or don't think that eating a bowl of spiced rice is a decent supper after a days work, then,like me, you might find this overproduced book, (which appears to have been published by someone who worked on agitprop magazines in the early Eighties)full of elitist and pretentious recipes that you are unlikely to have the ingredients,for rather irritating. However, it's nice to know that in the depths of the worst recession for 40 years, Stevie and his chums can still flit round the world, looking for ever more exotic recipes so that they remain one up on the rest of us.

And if you think I shouldn't be reviewing a cookbook without having tried some of the recipes, then take a look at the back cover, which contains a glowing review by Sam & Sam Clark, of the very fashionable Moro restaurant, who end by saying how much they're looking forward to trying some of the recipes.The only difference is - that after reading it they and I came to very different conclusions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a cookery book, more a way of life, 19 Sep 2010
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure what this book is aiming for. It's not a practical recipe book; more an anthology of diverse reflections by a young chef to tell us what a lot of wonderful culinary experiences he's had all over the world. The book suffers from graphic design over-kill: too many of the pages are difficult to read owing to the use of too small print on dark background colours or simulated sack-cloth: presumably that's also why many of the heading imitate the kind of stencilling found on sacks. The sizing of type throughout the book is strange: very large for headings, but too small for ingredient lists and methods to read comfortably, especially if used while cooking.

The recipes are an eclectic mixture of styles with a predominant Far Eastern influence. It pays lip-service to the seasons by focusing on what is available month by month, or not so available in the case of things like fresh ceps. And how many of us would use four bottles of Chianti to make a shin of beef dish, as listed on page 16. A recipe that is also practically impossible to read as it is printed on dark plum coloured paper: or should I say chianti-coloured paper!

It maybe because there is such a plethora of chefs producing books about food and cooking that new boys on the block have to try and do something more novel than a straightforward cookery. But, if you've got very good near-vision eye-sight and like reading about other people's experiences of exotic food, then this might be a book for you, but, I'm sorry to say this book from one of the "New Voices in Food" is not for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star recipes, 1 star writing, 29 Jan 2011
J. Dawson (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing I noticed about this book is that it is overly pretentious - one recipe specifies "Himalayan Basmati rice" and is accompanied by a note explaining that you shouldn't worry if you can't find rice labelled this way, as all Basmati rice is Himalayan - so why bother to specify that in the recipe? Eating well is all too often a class issue already, and this level of affectation does not help matters.

Had I based my review purely on the writing, it would have been one star. However, I do feel one must cook from a cookery book to judge it fairly so have to date made three recipes from this. All of them have been excellent, good enough in fact that I will make a point of trying more as well as cooking them again. Just would rather the author stuck to the recipes and avoided the editorial comments and lifestyle writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought., 4 Oct 2010
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Quite a confused book with the title suggesting the recipes might be ordered by location, but the chapters actually divided into months of the year. The predominant cuisines represented are Asian (various coconut curries, Cambodian chicken soup, tempura and tandoori) plus Mediterranean (Roman artichokes, tiramisu, Spanish ajo blanco). Presumably these are much loved favourites of the author, selected from his world travels, but tasty as some of the recipes sound, the whole is very disjointed.

There are a lot of pretty pencil and pen-and-ink type illustrations, but the only photographs to be found are on the inside of the cover, which folds out. I really do think photos are essential in a cookery book, firstly to provide inspiration, and secondly, to show what a finished dish should actually look like so we can be sure we haven't screwed up!

In common with a previous reviewer who said that the most tempting recipes are the desserts, the masala ice-cream and the gorgeous-sounding seville orange custard tart will be the first I try. But I'm not as convinced by the savoury dishes, some of which are more 'side' than main course, and not terribly appealing, e.g enough okra and green bean recipes to last you a month!

With more pictures and a bit of editing, this could be a decent cookery book. As is, just scrapes 3 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Of limited use., 20 Nov 2010
A. Miles (Al Khor, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's obvious this boy can cook, but I think this book kinda misses the point of what a cookbook should be.

Divided into 12 months of the year and in a somewhat hit-and-miss way utilising seasonal ingredients, all of the recipes included - which are wildly eclectic in their ethnic sources - display a refined understanding of the uses of ingredients.

But..you don't learn to be a good cook by making something whacky every Friday night. You learn to be a good cook by making the same dish 20 times, and then by exploring your chosen style. This books more of a promotional device for someone who's obviously being groomed for TV fame than something cooks could use.

Other points:

1. Please don't publish a cookbook bound in absorbent brown paper. It'll look like a chip wrapper in about a fortnight. More evidence, then, that this has been designed for Guardianistas to have on the coffee table rather than a proper cookbook.

2. Please don't do that irritating thing about how the dish only 'works' if you use the most expensive ingredients possible, e.g. 'Genuine Himalayan Basmati rice' It's f***ing rice, for Christ's sake.

2.0 out of 5 stars anchovies, dried sprats and more anchovies, 6 Oct 2010
light (brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very strange cookbook. It is described as "eclectic" and it certainly is not only in recipes but also layout and style. It has glowing reviews from the owners of the top restaraunts the writer has worked at (Sam Clark, Ruthie Rogers etc)and I do not doubt that Mr Parle is an accomplished chef but this collection just didn't grab me.
The recipes are fashionably sectioned into months with a special look at that month's glut,a technique and a page on knowledge.For instance in February the glut is leeks - so cue 3 leek recipes - leeks with sauce gribiche,grilled leeks with romesco sauce and leek,potato and porcini soup. The technique is preparing and cleaning anchovies-cue 3 anchovy recipes: almond paste (elizabeth david), a quick anchovy sauce and a bagna cuda. The knowledge for February is Umami- 2 pages about what it is and 3 recipes that deliver it - clam miso soup, silken tofu and tiny anchovies and sea kale in ten-tsuyu (a dshi and mirin sauce).That is all of February's recipes. I think all these recipes are basically starters or a side dish, not proper meals and this is typical of the recipes throughout the book. The book also suffers from having whole pages dedicated to recipes that could be summarised in a few lines (this is a particular annoyance of mine as so many recipe books do it). For instance, Baked Fish - basically any fish wrapped in foil with herbs stuffed in the cavity and a lump of butter and slice of lemon. There, written in 2 lines but a whole page given over to it. Cardamon milk is another example - milk (organic of course) cardamon pods, sugar,nibbed almonds, alphonso mangoes (what else!), saffron strands - boil milk with cardamons, add sugar and almonds to taste sprinkle on saffron serve with mangoes alongside. There are also silly affectations - himalyan basmati is specified for a recipe - oh, but actually all basmati is himalyan in origin so any will do!
Steve also tries to chat about his life and food a bit like Nigel Slater but it misses the mark - he talks about Nicky and a meal they had (who is she/he ?) turns out much later in the book that she is is his wife when we get an expalnation of how they met and he propsed.Steve also talks about a meal he had when travelling in Cambodia at age 16 - how? with family, on his own? He is very well travelled and has lived in Japan and other countries, we are given snippets but no proper narrative detail.
It is a shame this could have been very interesting.
Too many recipes have anchovies or dried fish as a component for me. Some of the deserts look good - I have made the unusual ricotta cake (ciambelline)which Steve suggests having for breakfast - it was Okay, not great. I think you could put together a few of the dishes and have a kind of tapas meal - but I don't think I will be cooking much from this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A peek into Stevies personal recipe book, 21 Sep 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not your typical recipe book & is aimed more at the foodie type acomplished chef who can get the gist of a recipe & run with it, rather than an amateaur who needs the precise measurements & cooking method.

Written by a Young "up & coming" London chef, who lives on a barge & grows his own fruit, veg & herbs on a floating pontoon. He spent a great deal of time travelling & so the recipes are very eclectic & there are a great deal of Indian/Asian & Morrocan dishes

The book feels very personal, like you just had a peek into Steves personal recipe book. There are no photos of the finished dishes, only quirky little animations & drawings.

Some of the recipes have little stories telling you who/what/why he made the dish

The books chapters follow the months of the year & Steve losely bases the recipes around seasonal food - although there are an awful lot of unusual ingredients in the recipes & it is very clear that Steve does a lot of his shopping in markets & shops specialising in Far Eastern fruit & veg - these being freely available in London.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated and a bit smug, recipes for moneyed unimaginative students, 19 Nov 2010
Ed.F "edz314" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book has had rave reviews from the press and elsewhere so I was pleased to get offered a copy. I was therefore a bit disappointed to find it rather thin on content, somewhat smug in tone and something that reads like a travelogue comprised of recipes collected on an extended gap year rather than a coherent work.

This is just a bunch of recipes, hastily assembled into some form of structure, like someone's personal scrap book and handwritten recipe book, rather than a clear profession of technique, national style, personal preference or overall food philosophy and it is a very much proscriptive work rather than an enlightening or informative one. Buy it for the student in your life, the recipes I did follow all had an air of "one pot cooking" but any serious or thoughtful person interested in food won't thank you.

My Kitchen: Real Food from Near and Far (New Voices in Food)
My Kitchen: Real Food from Near and Far (New Voices in Food) by Stevie Parle (Paperback - 2 July 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01