5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and an instant classic
I wish I could award this book more than 5 stars because it is the work of genius. Mark Diacono has crafted a rare thing: a non-fiction book about food, growing and cooking that's a cracking page turner. I returned home yesterday evening after a 320-mile round trip to a day long seminar to find this long anticipated book had arrived. I opened the package, was instantly...
Published on 23 Sep 2010 by Wiltshire Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought
I have around 30 gardening books I've picked up over the years. Maybe 5 or so regularly come off the shelf. Another 9 or 10 will make an occasional contribution and the rest are rarely consulted, except on occasion for inspiration. Gardening being a slow process it'll be a while before I can tell which category this one will fall into but probably the intermediate one is...
Published on 13 Mar 2011 by Gizmophobic

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected and somewhat unusual, 22 Dec 2010
Nicolette Laurence "Lunarwillow" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This for me was a very interesting and lavishly decorated book to read. Gorgeous glossy photos on every page make it a real feast for the eyes. However not sure I would try many of the recipes or growing the plants, etc. There is a lot of information on each plant which is interesting and I definitely learnt a lot, but not a practically useful book for me personally. Perhaps better for someone who likes to grow, and experiment etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars No dancing ladies were hurt in the making of this book, 30 Nov 2010
P. Keeling (midlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Requested this for my wife who loves exploring new foods, tastes and planning her ideal garden. We were very impressed with the beautiful pictures in the book and although there were a few surprises, in the main it confirmed how many foods have fallen off the map (salsify... hmmmm...).

Overall a great introduction to new and lost tastes, ideal for those wanting to explore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever, clever book!, 23 Nov 2010
Apollo 11 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very clever book. And like most clever ideas, it's generally more a case of someone hitting on the obvious, than scaling some skyscraping new height. For the aim of Taste of the Unexpected is simple: why put loads of effort into growing potatoes, onions and lettuce when these are (a) dirt cheap, (b) arguably amongst the most easily available of all foot stuffs, and most importantly (c) take up valuable time and resources which could be otherwise better employed to gain you something far more exciting; foodstuffs that will put a zing into your food and colour into your garden.

Broken down into easily navigated sections that cover nuts, fruits, herbs and vegetables (amongst others) Tastes of the Unexpected may not be as instantly cool as a Jamie Oliver or a Nigella, but it's values lie beyond those of shelf-candy for wannabe urbanites. Where Tastes of the Unexpected scores just as highly is in its ability to inspire; to inspire you to have a greater relationship with food than simply driving to the supermarket.

Striking the perfect balance between valuable know-how and recipes, not only will it prod you beyond your culinary comfort-zone when it comes to thoughts of produce and ingredients, but it also breaks down notions of growing being an exclusive dark art. So if you're thinking - recession and all - that The Good Life had more to it than a few good laughs and Felicity Kendal, this is the perfect place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get growing!, 29 Dec 2010
Nick C (Middleton, Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Taste of the Unexpected (Hardcover)
I got this book for my wife...who is the better gardener out of the two of us really. I haven't a clue about growing veggies, but I found myself pretty absorbed by this book a few days ago. I was initially draw in by the pictures (how old am I ????) which are quite stunning. But I also found it a really interesting read. My wife loves the book and is already planning the veg patch out for 2011 and planning quite a bit of it around things found in this book. It even had me flexing my fingers in a desire to feel the earth between them. A top book for someone who wants to grow something other than spuds and carrots!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, but..., 28 Nov 2010
Doug "Doug" (York, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not your traditional cookery book, however it is filled, and I mean filled with interesting information about unusual crops.

The type is quite small, but the information is excellent.

I have often grown unusual crops such as Goji berries and then been unsure how to use them.

Well, this book most certainly solves that problem.

If you are just looking for a cookery book, forget it.

If you are looking for inspiration on how to cook the unusual crops you grow in your garden or allotment then this is 100% the book for you.

A Taste of the Unexpected
A Taste of the Unexpected by Mark Diacono (Hardcover - 30 Sep 2010)
Used & New from: 5.38