5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure trove
Another knitting book on amazon Vine - lucky old me. And this didn't disappoint. So often I buy knitting magazines or books and only truly like a couple of patterns at most. As with the recent Erika Knight book, I found myself spoilt for choice. Loved the lace cushion, peg bag, tie on cushion, pencil case, knitting bag and the lacy scarf.

That said, there are...
Published on 23 Oct 2010 by EmmaH

3.0 out of 5 stars Very attractive and well presented
Published on 7 Oct 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure trove, 23 Oct 2010
EmmaH (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

That said, there are quite a few fillers here. Flower pot covers, anyone? And, to be honest, I'm never going to knit a wash cloth - what's wrong with a flannel for those odd occasions when you need one? Nor was I quite convinced by the idea of knitting myself a bead necklace, beach flags, pan handler or a lacy shelf edging. Perhaps a bit too much striving to be innovative, but some lovely ideas and patterns overall, many suitable for using up oddments, and all displaying Bliss' usual flair for colour, texture and design.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very attractive and well presented, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Knitter's Year (Hardcover)
I love this book but I must admit out of the 52 projects I will probably only be inspired to actually knit 5 or 6 of the patterns. I do however think all of the items are beautiful. The book is really well presented and just looking at the pictures makes me want to make something. It has a shabby chic feel to it and I like looking at the background as much as the knitted projects.

Things i like - bags, scarves, cushions, lavender bags and door stop

Things I don't like (much) - baby things and Christmas decorations

I would recommend this book to people who can knit and have loads of patterns and ideas and not to people who are beginners as there is no help or advice included, however most of the projects are quite simple and the instructions easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Knitter's Year - Good Book, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Knitter's Year (Hardcover)
I really like this book - there are a few items I feel I am unlikely to knit but far and away the largest selection of desirable small knitting projects that I have come across (I've been knitting for 45 years and own far too many knitting books)

Beautiful photos show that simple items can still look stunning, and that you don't have to have loads of spare time to create lovely things.

Bottom line - I'll need more than a year to make all the things I want to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of projects for the year, 11 Oct 2010
R. E. Quinn (Great Britian) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Knitter's Year is designed to give you a project every week of the year cycling through the four seasons. It consists of useful and decorative items for you to make.

I did note that because the author is trying to find 52 things for you to make that there are a few repeats in here i.e gloves and scarfs and cushions and bags appear more than once as projects.

I had a go at a couple of the quick projects and found them fairly simple and easily explained and a couple of the larger projects (bags and cushions) looked interesting and may take care of some winter evenings for me this year.

If however like my local wool shop your's doesn't stock Miss Bliss's wool any other brand of the same type will do.

A few of the projects were a bit too frou frou for me but if you enjoy making lots of decorative things for your home you will enjoy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Inspiring, 1 Nov 2010
Mr. Di Zendle "Piping hot potato!" (Potato, Potato) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Knitter's Year' is a beautiful book. The wonderful colour photography and clear images of all the projects make it a really inspiring and exciting book. It is full of wonderful projects, most of which would make brilliant presents and in the 'winter' section there are lots of lovely Christmas decorations which I'm really looking forward to making come December.

I love the way the book is organised into seasons because I find that knitting seasonal things really gets me in the mood for whatever time of year is on its way. I also really like the fact that enough information about the recommended yarns is provided at the back of the book in order for you to be able to work out any substitutions you might want to use if you can't afford or can't get the Debbie Bliss yarns the patterns call for.

The only negative comment I have about the book are that some of the projects feel a bit like filler. Coat hanger covers, knitted flags and lace shelf edging are not things I would make, and they do feel as if they are included just to keep up with the one project a week concept.

However, whether you are buying this as a present or for yourself, there will be so many things in this book that you will not be able to wait to get started on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Projects, 30 Oct 2010
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knitter's Year (Hardcover)
Debbie Bliss is a popular name in knitting and when I received this book I was eager to start looking at the designs included. As stated above, 52 patterns are included, 13 per season. The patterns cover a wide variety of items: scarfs, bags, socks, cushions and baby cardigans to name but a few.
The book starts with a great few pages on yarns: the types of yarn with great descriptions and also hints on when buying yarn. However, the only yarns covered are Debbie Blisses range of yarns. There is also a list of standard abbreviations used throughout the patterns.
I am an average knitter. My nan taught me when I was younger and I have knitted scarves, dolls clothes, knitted dolls and even a waistcoat. However, when I opened this book I was immediately amazed by some of the ideas included and I plan on trying some of the ideas out. The first pattern in the book is for a basket, the pattern clearly written and then is followed by a page on how to make it up. However, there were a few items in the making up stage that I feel could have had an explanation included (e.g. I do not know what buckram is and would of liked some explanation so I would know what I was looking for when shopping for it). However, I think the instructions for making the basket were very clear and precise.
The patterns include many traditional, knitted items e.g. egg cosies and wash cloths but also more modern items, e.g. floral corsages, i pod cases and bead necklaces. There is a pattern idea in the book for most people and many of the ideas would make great presents for anyone who loves giving handmade presents. There are patterns in the book where you would need to buy balls of wool to complete the project but then there are also patterns where you could use up oddments left in your work bag.
The book really encouraged me to get out my knitting needles again and start to create. It would of been great to have a section in the book explaining the sorts of needles used and a quick description of how to knit stitches however these are available in many other knitting books and so was not a necessity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blissful Knitting, 2 Sep 2010
Candi Says (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Debbie Bliss the renowned knitting designer who has brought out numerous great knitting books and her own popular range of yarn has brought out another winner. This time she gives a book featuring 52 patterns (book says 'each can be made in a week or less') divided into the 4 seasons of year.

For spring (amongst others), there is a lovely storage basket (never thought of that before!) and flower pot covers. For summer, a peg bag and a lacy scarf. For autumn, some pompom handwarmers and a teacosy. For winter, a hot water bottle cover and a door stop.

As well as these you will find xmas decorations, baby bootees, slippers, gloves, hats and scarves and makes for the home.

The projects are suitable for all - beginners to intermediate and most seem ideal for using up your stash. Of course they are all knitted in Debbie's own yarn range but this could be substituted.

I really liked this book - lots of good ideas, easy and quick to make (esp if you have lost your knitting mojo like I have!). I wasn't sure at first when I read the list of things in another review, but I changed my mind when I saw it and there is a lot in this book I would like to make. It was full of things you didn't know you needed! Ideal for gifts too. Nicely set out and photos have a shabby chic feel.

I would definitely recommend this book! Another winner for Debbie!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful range of projects..., 28 Sep 2010
Richard Madgin (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is such a lovely book for knitters. The quality of the product is evident as soon as you get it in your hands... it's a weighty hardback with a dustjacket of excellent quality, and all designed with style in mind. There are 52 projects thoughout the book split into the four seasons, and that equates to 1 project a week for a year if you're an avid and speedy knitter. Otherwise it is still a wonderful range of different projects that require varying amounts of time and yarn, or skill.

There are projects that are quick and would make great stash-busting gifts (Christmas is only round the corner) such as the knitted Bookmarks (Spring section), Baby Sandals (Summer), or one of my favourites, the Christmas Pudding Hat (Winter).

Many knitting books that I have purchased have a how-to-knit section at the beginning which this one doesn't have. This is understandable as the book is aimed at avid knitters who like to always have a project on hand and already know what they are doing. Other than the four seasonal sections containing the patterns, there is a foreword by Debbie Bliss, a Types of Yarn page detailing how to make any substitutions, and the standard abbreviations used in the patterns throughout the book.

The recommended retail price is 18.99 which would still be good value at around 37p per pattern, but at the time I write this review Amazon are selling it for the great price of 12.96, which is around 25p per pattern! Fantastic value for money for a knitting book of coffee table browsability and quality full of inspirational projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of chic, relatively quick projects, 29 Aug 2010
H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So you know this is by Debbie Bliss, and you'll be expecting some very wearable, desirable stuff - and that's just what you'll get. Out of the 52 projects (one for every week of the year) there are quite a number that I definitely want to make, many that I might make one day and only a very few that I definitely won't make. In particular I like the fabric-lined items - shoulder bags, knitting bag, a peg bag, sewing-needle case and a pencil case - as well as the socks, gloves and even the hot-water bottle cover. What's nice too is that although the projects are billed as being makeable in a week, some are very simple and could be made in a weekend, while others, such as the socks, would take a lot longer, so there's plenty of variety here. All the projects use Debbie Bliss yarns, mainly the eco range, rialto and baby cashmerino plus two porjects in como and one in fez. In fact, this is what you'll get:
Spring: a basket (a fabric-lined box-shaped knitted container in eco aran); a white lacy cushion with cable and lace panels in eco aran; flowerpot covers (pretty and fun if not very practical in cotton dk); floral corsage (not for me, this is a rose brooch in cotton dk); a wash cloth (easy and elegant in eco baby); bunny egg cosies (very amusing and simple in rialto dk); a bead necklace (knitted balls in eco baby on a ribbon necklace); bookmarks (could be good for a beginner, in baby cashmerino); bow belt (very 1920s, in eco baby); sewing needle case (simple but stylish, fabric-lined case in eco baby; baby cardigan (very simple but tasteful with tie fastening instead of buttons in eco baby); lace shelf edging (in eco baby); gardener's gloves (with half fingers in eco baby yarn).
Summer: fabric-lined peg bag (eco aran); tie-on cushion for a kitchen chair or similar in rialto aran; string bag in cotton dk; baby sandals (shoes really, in eco baby); fabric-lined pencil case (rialto dk); lacy scarf (great wave pattern, in eco baby); tea-light covers (lacy and white in rialto 4-ply yarn); lavender bags (imagine four triangular panels put together in a humbug shape, in eco baby); striped baby hat in eco aran; striped cushion (with button side in cotton dk); coat hanger (to pad a wooden coat hanger, in eco aran); beach bag (in eco aran with a fabric lining); flags (a union jack, stars and stripes and the Greek flag in 4-ply yarn, each 16 x 10cm).
Autumn: multi-coloured striped knitting bag, fabric lined and made in rialto aran with bamboo-cane handles - I love it; cabled socks in baby cashmerino (one of the longest projects to make but very classy); pan handler (great item which is basically a textured square of knitting lined with cotton in eco aran); pompon hand warmers (fingerless gloves with pompon tassels for adult or child in baby cashmerino); cabled moss-stitch beret in rialto dk; tea cosy (retro with vertical stripes and a pompon on the top in rialto dk); mug cosy in a slip stitch pattern in rialto dk; door draught excluder (a smallish sausage shape with textured pattern which is quite chic for one of these things in rialto dk); striped gloves (classic gloves with a striped hand and plain fingers plus turn-back cuffs in rialto 4-ply); pumpkin pincushion in rialto dk; gadget covers (for one of the slim i-Pods or a Blackberry though you could easily adapt the patterns for your device, in baby cashmerino); slippers, again with pompons, in fez; cabled bag (chunky fabric-lined cable-pattern shoulder bag in como).
Winter: chunky scarf (with a nice cable pattern in como); tartan cushion (combining two-colour fair-isle with Swiss darning for a pattern that looks more complicated than it is, in rialto aran); Christmas napkin rings (not for me - garter-stitch Russian wedding ring affair in red rialto 4-ply); bootee trio (three simple baby booties, two with stripes and one with a lacy top in baby cashmerino - one ball each in red and white makes all three); pompon garland (a bit like the necklace - pompons threaded on yarn - in rialto dk); door stop (like the lavender bags from spring only larger and stuffed with beans in eco aran); noel letters (great set of padded letters spelling `noel' in fair-isle pattern, in rialto 4-ply); hot-water bottle cover (one-colour textured pattern in cashmerino aran, great for hot-water bottle fans like myself); Christmas tree decorations (knitted Christmas trees with bead baubles to hang on your tree in baby cashmerino); Christmas stocking (with a Norwegian star pattern in rialto aran); lace-edged pillow (a pretty lacy edging to attach to an existing pillowcase in one ball of eco baby); collared scarf (with a button fastening at the neck and fold-back collar - I haven't seen anything like this before - in cashmerino aran); Christmas-pudding hat (looking just like a Christmas pudding in rialto aran).

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird and wacky projects for the experimental knitter, 25 Aug 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Debbie Bliss is, for me, synonymous with expensive (though lovely) yarns and lush clothing patterns.

Quite what posesssed her branding team to launch this book, I'm not sure.

At a hefty price tag, I had high expectations. And the look and feel of the book met them.

But the patterns, well...

The idea is that there are 52 projects, each of which takes an afternoon or several evenings, so keen knitters have something to do, every week of the year.

The thing is that some of the ideas are seriously not the kind of thing most people would want to knit (apologies to anyone who loved the book!).

There are a range of patterns for scarves, socks, baby booties and bobble hats. So far, so good.

There is even a pattern for fluffy Easter bunny egg cosies (my 3-year-old has already insisted on one of these).

* But a scarf with a collar?
* Lacy edging for shelving?
* A Christmas-pudding bobble hat?
* A box?
* A striped, knitted "back-to-school" iPod cover? (You'd get beaten to a pulp in the playground!)
* Knitted triple-loop napkin rings?
* Knitted plant pot covers - please?????
* Knitted covers for wooden beads
... and the list goes on.

Yes, some of the patterns are nice. But, the concensus amongst our review group was that many of them had too much "cringe factor" for us to want to drag our yarn remnants out of the attic. We wondered who on earth had come up with some of the weirder and wackier ideas.

And, in general, it felt like a beautifully-packaged advert for Debbie's bespoke yarn range. There is no flexibility for substituting any other type or make of yarn. Ka-ching!

If you're into unusual knitting patterns, then this book will surprise and delight you.

If, like me, you had been hoping for some more inspirational adult knits, which is what Debbie is famous for, then you're better off going to your local wool shop and looking through the pattern books.

The Knitter's Year
The Knitter's Year by Debbie Bliss (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2010)
15.19