4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 8 Sep 2008
Mr. N. Rilla (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I got given this book as a gift by my girlfriend. Contains loads of good non-fussy advice and information, cleanly presented (the photos are really excellent). I had no idea just how much you can do with a small space and how much you can do yourself without spending a fortune. Has definitely inspired me to finally get around to doing something with my back yard (much to my girlfriends delight!)

4.0 out of 5 stars My new garden design bible, 5 Sep 2008
Kaz (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I was just about to have a go at my small garden myself and had a vague idea of what I wanted to do. I'm so glad I didn't do it as this book has completely changed my approach, and now I know what I want. The pics are good (mainly modern gardens) and its written in an honest, unfussy style by someone who obviously has a lot of experience. I wish it had some plans that I could copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but heavily focussed on 'minimalist' designs, 1 Sep 2011
Emteq "Emteq" (Down where the drunkards roll) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Joe's Urban Garden Handbook (Paperback)
If your ideal garden tends towards the minimalist, "outdoor room", contemporary style with plenty of cor-ten steel then this book is for you.

All the designs rely heavily on extensive groundworks, strongly coloured walls and fences and gravel. The planting is often mono-chromatic and reliant on repeated 'architectural' plants and grasses.

If that's what you're looking for, this book is bang on with plant lists and lavish pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Inspired and I am now a passionate small Urban gardener, 22 Feb 2012
H. Harriott "HOMES" (UK) - See all my reviews
While I was enjoying a day out in Saltaire Mill in Bingley West Yorkshire, I ended up in their large book store. This is where I spotted Joe's Urban Garden Handbook and had a quick scan inside. Immediately after seeing some of the fabulous pictures I was hooked on the idea of transforming my small back yard into a chic food producing Urban space. I read the book and soon afterward purchasing the book I was measuring, drawing and planning my outdoor space.
I was excited and I am still excited with this book, so much so that when I saw one copy in an oxfam shop I bought it to keep in my car.
The book has inspired me to re-create my small untidy back yard to a relaxing, food producing, green outdoor paradise. It is now an area that I will spend much more time right through out the year. Still and ongoing project this book is an inspiration and on going reference for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas but really a coffee table book, 7 Jun 2011
Mr. J. Crook - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joe's Urban Garden Handbook (Paperback)
Lots of nice pictures but frankly nothing on what plants to buy, how to prepare designs etc. It's very nice but superficial and I'll need to buy a book with the names of the plants etc to actually realise any of the concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe's urban garden handbook, 10 May 2010
This review is from: Joe's Urban Garden Handbook (Paperback)
Great book, it gave me some interesting ideas and inspiration for my garden. Full of good colour photos of all different garden styles, with loads of information on design, planning, building and planting so you can make your own amazing garden.

Nice book to have on a coffee table to just flick through now and again too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small space, big ideas, 10 Dec 2008
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Joe Swift is a real natural. In this book he demonstrates the style you can bring to a neglected, small urban garden. Explore the potential of your own patch that sits unused and buried beneath weeds. Learn how to disguise or conceal the bits you don't like, create privacy and make the maximum use of the garden.

This book looks at several solutions to your needs, whether you are a family needing an extra outdoor room or someone wanting to chill out in their own outdoor space. The book is lavishly illustrated with fabulous garden ideas. Simple layouts are easy to adapt. The regular garden features such as hardscaping - surfaces and softscaping such as plants are explained for each idea.

The bonus of this book is that it is not a garden plans book, it's a book to get the best out of your plot, to create an individual garden. It includes what is essential for you, design solutions to typical gardens, professional know-how, a plant selector and ideas for jazzing up the basics through the year as well as maintenance. A list of suppliers will help make your garden dreams come true.

Find solutions for your urban space and make the world a brighter and more useful place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garden Design, 3 Sep 2013
As with the Andy Sturgeon book, I already knew a lot of the content and this particular book suits me very well as I work on mainly small, urban gardens.

5.0 out of 5 stars grdening, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: Joe's Urban Garden Handbook (Paperback)
fantastic book and I got to meet Joe too. Informative and clear.Learning a lot from the book thanks. good pictures.

Joe's Urban Garden Handbook
Joe's Urban Garden Handbook by Joe Swift (Paperback - 5 Mar 2010)
Used & New from: 6.20