5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, lovely food!
Published on 24 Aug 2009 by Trinny

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong book
I tried some recipes from this book (marinated salmon, cauliflower soup, skagen fish soup) and a result was terrible. Salmon which was good fresh turned into something uneatable, soups were too watery. I guess there's something wrong with proportions of ingredients or so. Besides you have less than 100 recipes on more than 200 pages.
Published on 30 Oct 2009 by Alex Skotnikov

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, lovely food!, 24 Aug 2009
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Hardcover)
I've now had this book for one week and I've made the fiske frikadeller with remoulade and dill potatoes, the brunsviger, cucumber salad and rye foccacia - love this cookbook already! I started out as I normally do when I get a new cook book by putting post it notes on every page where there is a recipe that i want to try, but gave up when it turned out to be literally every other page. Lovely pics and background stories too. Also - all the ingredients are readily available in British supermarkets, which also gets a big thumbs up from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly nostalgic, great book, 18 Nov 2009
Mr. Stephen G. Bradford "Loubylou" (Chichester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Hardcover)
My mother is Danish but lives in the UK so this book was just a trip down nostalgic memory lane for us! The recipes are so authentic; my Danish family would approve. The photography is amazing and the sense of Scandinavia that it suggests is just lovely. A great cookbook - for me its as if the recipes were handed down from my Danish grandmother, especially the Christmas meal!

4.0 out of 5 stars Discovering Scandinavian food, 17 Nov 2010
F. S. Carr "stingray196" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Paperback)
In Stieg Larsson' Millenium Trilogy everyone dines on 'open sandwich'. This book has clarified to me what an open sandwich means! In Trina's words, not many people are familiar with the Nordic culinary tradition, and she does a good job of explaining what each dish is and what it represents. The book has a very personal feeling and a huge amount of recipes. While fish features prominently of course, there's a good amount of meat and vegetarian dishes. Some, probably more difficult to recreate (reindeer or moose!) but most are absolutely fine. I cooked the oxtail ragout which was rich in flavours and aromas and delicious. Some recipes are a little basic (hot chocolate) but overall there is a wide selection of starters, mains and sweet dishes which I can't wait to try (such as cardamom buns and medaljier). The book is divided by calendar months and each month is described by what happens to nature and people in the Nordics...which I personally find very interesting as it really creates an atmosphere. The food photos are side by side to some stunning scenery photography which also sets the mood. A pleasant read with some great recipes and a fantastic insight in the Scandinavian cuisine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely cookbook, 18 Mar 2013
Ms. D. M. Schwab "Doro" (Ilford, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Scandinavian cuisine and have already got a few other books by Trine Hahnemann. This book does not disappoint and contains a variety of easily achievable recipes. I use it frequently and the results not only look great but taste divine. I recommend this book and others by Trine Hahnemann thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavian Cookbook, 12 Oct 2009
Mr. D. Small "Selgris" (Hedge End Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Hardcover)
Excellent introduction to the joys of Scandinavian cookery with superb illustrations. The recipes work well and are delicious. The book shows the intense seasonality of cookery at this latitude. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 25 April 2011
Ms. S. H. L. Porritt (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Paperback)
I used to live in denmark for 15 years. This cook book is brilliant although some ingredients are difficult to get. Was very excited to try recipies and they didnt disapoint.. wonderful cookery book specially if you love scandinavian food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting recipes, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Paperback)
Love Trina Hahnemann's book and this is another classic. Not only great recipes but some interesting background to them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heritage and traditions of Scandinavia, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Paperback)
More than just a cookbook of recipes and beautiful photography, The Scandinavian Cookbook peers into the heritage and traditions of Northern Europe, with insights into the boisterous weather and coastlines to family and the Scandinavian household in general.

This book is just as much about lifestyle as it is about food, showing that small regions in the world have something large to offer. Accompanying each recipe is a brief introduction to the dish and a preface into its place in Scandinavian cuisine, whether foraged for in the tawny chestnut woods (René Redzepi style) or freshly caught mackerel and herring from the icy-shores of Denmark, each are lovingly described by Hahhemann and beautifully captured by Ranek.

There is obviously much to learn about Scandinavian cuisine and with Noma leading the charge as the best restaurant in the world under Copenhagen-born Redzepi, more and more foodies are reaching to Scandinavia to learn about the likes of smørrebrød, leverpostej and kartoffelkage. Personally, I'm more taken with Hahhemann's anise and pepper reindeer, perfect prior to some Danish butter cookies.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Insight into Scandinavian Cooking, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Paperback)
Food should not only feed the body, but also the soul. A little more time spent in the kitchen using fresh and seasonal ingredients to make a meal to be enjoyed together is Trina Hahnemann's dream. In her book The Scandinavian Cookbook she takes us month by month through 100 traditional Nordic recipes which perfectly capture the essence of Scandinavian cuisine and culture.
Trina, a leading Danish TV chef and food writer give us recipes which are a light modern version of Scandinavian home cooking, presented in a way that is simple and healthy.

As soon as I received the book I couldn't wait to flick through its pages. I'm passionate about all things Scandinavian, a seed that was planted within me ever since visiting Iceland and Sweden has found me exploring and researching everything from food to design.

I would love to see more dishes from northern latitudes being served in Britain and there really is no reason why Scandinavian food shouldn't become more popular.
Most people tend to think of Nordic ingredients consisting of mostly fish or dare I say it, slightly dodgy meatballs in IKEA. Make them yourself, they're so much better as page 84 demonstrates and if you're in the mood for something more spicy try the meatballs in curry sauce on page 194 - yes, the Scandinavians are partial to curry too.
There really is so much more to their cuisine, seafood in all its variants, fresh from the garden salads, hearty roasts and irresistible baking.

After spending a good hour salivating over the pages and marking potential recipes with post-it notes, I selected four to try.
The choice was difficult as I wanted to make everything, but with the help of Lars Ranek's gorgeous photography I decided on the ones where the pictures made my mouth water the most.
It was easy to get carried away by the images of sparkling frost covered trees, the golden light of a low sun illuminating the cobbled maritime streets of Copenhagen or hazy meadows and quaint summerhouses, that I had to prise myself out of the sofa, away from moments of nostalgia and get myself into the kitchen.

I was pleased with the overall ease that the recipes could be made - they are breeze to follow and many use readily available ingredients.
Some of the recipes are starkly simplistic, for example, strawberries and cream (p.104), but if one considers it to be a source of inspiration and an insight into Scandinavian cuisine, then it has its place.

5.0 out of 5 stars SCANDINAVIAN COOKBOOK, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Scandinavian Cookbook (Paperback)
GOOD BOOK WELLPRESENTED WELL ILLISTRATIONS GOOD DEMONSTRATIONS EXCELLENT BOOK IN ALL WAYS I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO PEOPLE AS A MUST

Scandinavian Cookbook
Scandinavian Cookbook by Trina Hahnemann (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)
Used & New from: £11.75