• Maze

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 May 2008
I was a bit unsure about purchasing this book having read previous reviews but being a big fan of Jason Atherton's cooking and Maze restaurant I decided to give it a go.

This is an unusual book in that it presents you with both detailed restaurant style recipes such as those included in Thomas Keller's French Laundry book or Gordon Ramsay's 3 Star Chef book and also recipes geared towards something you can throw together for a midweek meal but using the same ingredients or leftovers from the main recipe.

The restaurant style recipes of which there are 30 are well laid out, several of them recognisable from the Maze menu and suitably adjusted for the home kitchen, most of them require plenty of time and serious effort however after trying a few of them, they work and have impressed friends and family. The easier recipes are then provided as two options from the main recipe. It's a good approach, I've found myself either preparing an easier recipe in advance where for example the main recipe requires a pre-made component such as a sorbet or a confit that can be stored for the main event or alternatively using up leftovers in easier meals.

For anyone who has tried to step up their home-cooking with the likes of Essence, The French Laundry Cookbook etc. and found them a little daunting this book is a good stepping stone for building confidence.
on 12 June 2008
If the other reviewers read the preface to the book, they would see and understand that there are 30 professional recipes from Maze and 60 more domestic recipes. The 60 easier recipes (2 for each professional one) are based on "leftovers" or the same ingredients/flavors as the 30 professional recipes aimed towards the home cook.

It is a nice balance between the professional chef and the average chef.
The photography is beautiful and book flows well.
A solid addition to any cookbook collection. Jason Atherton is London's rising star.
on 26 April 2008
I would have to say that I was rather disapointed with this book. As a chef myself I was looking forward to reading recipes to some of the amazing Maze restaurant dishes. But actually this book is more of a basic home cook book.

It does include some great recipes of dishes from the restaurant but most are very basic recipes for the home cook. Obviously most cook books are geared towards the home cook and recipe books that are written for chefs are a little daunting for the general home cook but if using the restaurants name for the book it should have a reasonable amount of dishes that are actually from the restaurant thet it shares the name with.
I personally dont think that this book is a good reflection of the food at maze (yes I have been) and is definetly not a reflection of the chef Jason Atherton cooking amazing talents.
on 11 February 2013
I love this cook book. Bought for me as a gift after being lucky enough to have eaten at Maze it sat on the shelf for a while before being used but now I am committed to making every recipe in order which is something I have never done from a cook book.

The recipes are organised in groups, firstly by a dish which you would expect from the restaurant and then followed by another two dishes using similar ingredients which may be more suited everyday situations. How many times have you bought ingredients especially for a certain recipe only for the remnants to sit in the fridge for ages with you not really knowing how to use them up? The book offers a great solution, I hate waste and they say a good chef wastes nothing which is something which the book advocates.

The flavour combinations here are something of wonder, Jason is truly an amazing chef which is why Ferran Adria and Gordon Ramsay speak so highly of him.

If you are cooking for yourself or out to impress others this book will not let you down.
on 9 June 2014
Present for son who loves Jason Atherton's food, so excellent purchase. So inspiring he's gone to work in one of his restaurants!
on 3 January 2016
This book is really good. Perfect for a non professonal with experience. I found the recipes less complex than I expected,but some of the ingredients difficult to find. The book is beautiful. Nice pictures. But the most important thing, the recipes look (I only tried two recipes yet) delicious.
on 31 August 2008
I bought this for my wife who is a very good cook. I thought there was a good mix of simple and more difficult recipes for her to try. So far she has tried two.

The Liquorice poached pears (p210) - trying to get liquorice essence has been a nightmare and it seems that the only place to get it is the Internet (possibly easier in London). 3 teaspoons seems a lot of essence too and an experienced chef (with 1 Michelin star) seemed to think it was over the top. If an item is hard to source tell us where we can get it.

The Infusion of summer berries (p170) was the second attempt at a recipe. The Infusion, following the recipe tasted like vinegar. Luckily my wife is experienced enough to sort it out.

Gordon Ramsey's books are always excellent and I'm surprised that, as a Ramsey chef, Jason has not had these recipes checked before publishing the book.

I guess it's not safe to judge a book by it's cover.
on 3 June 2016
My husband loves this book, hence we bought it as a present for our friend inSingapore.
on 10 November 2014
As described great service and prices
on 6 November 2014
Lovely pictures and good recipes