4.0 out of 5 stars Really good but...
Published on 25 July 2010 by P. Bulmer

2.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!
Published on 23 Jan 2012 by Ellino-amerikanaki

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good but..., 25 July 2010
P. Bulmer (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
I love this book and have cooked loads of the recipes - many are absolutely delicious, and I can particularly recommend the quiche lorraine and delicate sablees. I have however had a few problems with some of the recipes not being as "foolproof" as you'd hope: in some cases the quantities have to be amended to work properly which might just be a reflection of the fact that I'm using slightly different equipment for baking but it's still a bit vexing when things aren't cooking up as you'd hoped. Nonetheless, I'd buy it again if I lost my existing copy, and the reaction I get when I cook these recipes is always positive. It's particularly useful for the basics of how to make great pastry, which is probably why you'd want to buy it in the first place, and it really is foolproof when it comes to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on the market, 24 July 2010
J. Clarkson "Book Worm" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
I can cook and bake for a lot of people but I am so rubbish at pastry, this book really made me a pastry whiz. So easy to follow recipes, pastry as light as a feather, rich and crumbly and in some cases with a delicate crunch. Savoury and sweet pastry like you have never tasted before, everyone will marvel at your baking, and I have tried lots of books but this is THE BEST. Well worth the money especially if you like me had difficulty with pastry, but thank goodness no more!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Making pastry, where to start., 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
I highly recommend this book. Not only are there written stages, there are step-by-step pictures to help you along. Truly showing how simple it can be, just with a little practice.
So if, like me you have avoided making your own and buy it. But would like to start and have no idea how, this could be the book for you. Written by Michel Roux, who has been described as The King of pastry. Who better to teach us all.
Admittedly I have yet to build up the courage to try out the filo pastry.

5.0 out of 5 stars pastry, 25 Jan 2011
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
Pastry: Savoury and Sweet A fantastic book from the master of pastry love it got it 2 weeks ago and its brill still trying to master the different forms of pastry baking but its so easy to follow with full instructions you wont be sorry if you buy the book believe me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmm Mmmmmmm, 9 Oct 2010
Mr. D. Boocock (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
When this book arrived I was surprised (pleasantly, actually) by how small it is - which is much better than those great big cook books that I have so many of! Michel of course is the ultimate expert in pastry - and his book shows that, but he has written it in a warm and accessible way. I have made several of the recipes (I am a chef by trade) and found the recipes easy to follow, with reasonable success - I just need to practice more! A wonderful book and a must-have for anyone that likes to cook pastry. You'll be surprised by some of the recipes (like cornish pasties) because you wouldn't imagine a french chef making those! I'll be trying those next week!

2.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
This is a great size, has wonderful photos, and is in general a class act I'd recommend to anyone [Update 4.12: maybe not?]. However, I had to supplement the instructions on the choux pastry with some Internet research because the instructions were misleading. And since then, I've taken a look at other instructions within and note they're all written in the same way, so here's my warning:

In outlining a specific stage of preparation, I'd expect a professional to describe the desired state of the mixture first, and follow that with the approximate time required to reach that state, NOT vice-versa. With the choux pastry recipe, the stove-top mixing stage is outlined thus: "... stir continuously for about 1 minute to dry out the paste, then ...". For me, a novice at making choux pastry, this meant that appropriately dry or not, after about one minute of stirring, I started to be concerned about taking the mixture off the heat, and probably pulled it at a minute and a half or so. The bottom line being, of course, that for whatever reasons having to do with the specifics of my kitchen versus Mr. Roux's, the mixture was NOT dry enough, and my pastries failed. I would have approached it differently had the recipe been phrased "stir continuously until the paste appears quite dry -- a minute or more".

Fine, I had the misfortune of the choux pastry recipe being the very first recipe I tried from this book and as it turns out, that drying stage is crucial to the success of choux. Happily, the second recipe I tried was the pate brisee & potato pie and they were unbelievably delicious, so I'm far from having lost faith in this book, but I do approach the instructions with a wary eye.

Of course English is not Mr. Roux's first language so the very slight difference in meaning might have escaped him (but shouldn't have escaped his editor). Either way, just a friendly warning to other users!

* * *

Further note 18 April 2012:

Note the one-star review by 'Helen' with which I completely agree. I've now had another recipe turn out remarkably poorly thanks to questionable instructions. Specifically, I'd caution readers to avoid his lemon meringue pie at all costs: I'm about to throw out half of the one I made for Easter, it was that bad (and we're not counting what I threw from my guests' plates). Comparing it with a recipe I've known all my life, I find that while Mr. Roux's calls for 225 gms of sugar versus 333 in my more traditional recipe, the amount of lemon juice he calls for* is more than THREE times as much, that is, 208 gms versus 64 grams! And, yes, especially after adding in the generous amount of rind, it is a mouth-puckering experience indeed. (* Note: unprofessionally enough, I thought, he calls for the juice of 8 lemons rather than a more precise amount. My 8 lemons of what I thought were average size, equalled 208 gms)

However, it's the amount of corn starch/flour that's the real killer: although my two recipes call for the same amount of water, he calls for 75 gms of corn flour whereas my tried-and-true (why, oh why did I try a new recipe?) calls for only 45. As one would expect, his results in an unpleasantly rubbery, unyielding consistency -- even with the additional liquid provided by the lemon juice.

This will be the last Roux book I'll purchase for the simple reason that I just don't feel I can trust the recipes, and ingredients and time are too expensive to risk wasting. Pity, because these books are very attractive and the recipes are appealing. To be noted, by the way: the photography by Martin Brigdale is first-rate, really lovely, and almost makes purchasing these worthwhile, however, the bottom line is that it's all about the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a recipe book more than just a book of techniques, 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was expecting a how-to book of techniques only. Not only is the book that but it's also a recipe book but it's not just a recipe book it's your mum in book form willing you on, telling you the shortcuts and how to get the pastry perfect. It's also got information on sauces and all the different types of pastry you can imagine. This book took the panic out of pastry for me and I am no longer ashamed of my choux :-)

I gave this book five stars because it has everything a serious baker/pastry chef needs no matter what level they are starting at and some tasty recipes to experiment with too. It was a very interesting read and the pictures were superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars worth its weight in gold!, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
wonderful book. Full of fantastic technics, recipe and illustrations for every type of pastry. This book is a must in any cooks kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Michel Roux Pastry, 17 July 2011
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
This book realy helps someone like me as my pastry now works and people compliment me on my cooking makes you feal great and the cakes taste good to.

5.0 out of 5 stars pastry excellence, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Pastry: Savoury and Sweet (Paperback)
learning from the master himself. this book is easy to follow amd with time and patience you can acheive some outstanding results.

ARRAY(0xaea278e8)

Pastry: Savoury and Sweet
Pastry: Savoury and Sweet by Michel Roux (Paperback - 7 May 2010)
6.99