4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner level with a coffee-table feel, but still good in its own way
I like this book. It is not a serious self-sufficiency guide, nor a serious gardening book, but it doesn't claim to be either of those. This is one person's experience and advice re. growing food on an allotment, together with some recipes and some anecdotes. It's a book to dip into every couple of weeks to see what you might want to do at that time of year, in terms of...
Published on 18 July 2010 by J. S. Hardman

3.0 out of 5 stars The Suburban Coffee-Table more like
We ordered this book as we are in the process of starting up an allotment and growing things in our back yard.
We found it all rather airy fairy.
There was some practical advice on the hows, whats, whens and whys, but it was all mixed in with anecdotes, recipes, arty pictures, etc that makes it seem a bit confused as to what it's purpose is.
It would make a...
Published on 12 July 2010 by T. Russell

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How Did I live Without This?, 11 April 2010
Nick Huckle "The Sponge" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is an extremely useful tool for those of us already growing fruit and/or vegetables on an allotment or in the garden, as well as anyone thinking of or planning to do so. Celia Brooks Brown clearly describes what is feasible to grow, how to prepare, when to plant, how to nurture and when to harvest. The text is concise and to the point making it quick and easy to locate the information your looking for. Its full of useful tips and warnings which will surely help the novice and experienced grower alike. As well as text and pictures throughout the book are very useful tables for each calendar month telling what to plant or harvest whether in pots, in a greenhouse or outdoors.
But Celia Brown doesn't stop there. Once you've harvested your fruit and veg you can continue to use this book's recipes to prepare some unusual and inventive recipes enabling you to maximise the benefit from all your efforts. The book is fully illustrated with fantastic pictures by Jill Mead which really serve to inspire one as much as the text.
I've been newly inspired by this book and am expecting great things from my allotment this year

4.0 out of 5 stars A fab book even for the novice gardener (like me)!, 23 Mar 2010
Bob and Billy's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't own an allotement, nor a vegetable patch. But after a wonderful weekend reading the brilliant New Urban Farmer - what can I say - I want one (now)!

This is a lovely gentle, diary style book taking you from the begenning of the planting and growing season in early march, right through to the end of autumn. Along the way, Celia Brooks Brown tells you of her joys and successes, tales both of and from her fellow growers, and suggests ways to eat and store the bounty that came her way.

In an impatient world (see my flippant demand above!) this book feels very much a lesson in taking the time to slow up, and put the effort in producing what you need in terms of all things fruit vegetable and herb.

No great preachy or technical sense about it in any way, just a good grounding in what to do around each week or so, what grows well, and how to use it through some delicious recipes and invaluable advice on storage.

Glossy thick pages, easy to read sections with top tips in the sidebars, and beautiful colour photography throughout. This book would make a lovely gift, or a treat for yourself.

I'm going to start with tubs and pots, both inside and out. Potatoes (got to get going on those now), tomatoes, courgettes, basil, strawberries and leeks are the treasures I shall start out with. I can't wait!

3.0 out of 5 stars I find the title overly romantic at best, downright misleading at worst, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: New Urban Farmer (Paperback)
For the price it's an interesting read but only that, it's far from an informative manual for those who are new to gardening or even relatively experienced gardeners looking for something a bit new. However, what elevates the book are the unusual and interesting recipes (vegetarian) despite the book not particularly being marketed as gardening/cookery. If you want a pure gardening book look elsewhere, if want an interesting read with interesting recipes try it. On a purely personal level, after reading the book, I find the title overly romantic at best, downright misleading at worst. All the growing is on a small urban allotment in small quantities, hardly farming.
theallotmenteer.com

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun and interesting diary of an allotment, 16 Jun 2010
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an interesting book because it's part diary and part gardening/allotment manual. It takes you through an entire year and explains for each month/season what you should be doing, looking out for and planning for. For each month there is also a handy checklist which details what fruit and vegetables are either needing planted or needing harvested within the month. Beside the checklist there's also an index showing you which page to turn to to learn more and the pages that contain recipes using the product in question.

Which leads me to the recipes. Dotted amongst the gardening advice are various recipes that make use of your home-grown produce. Although not the main focus of the book, I liked seeing the recipes and I'm definitely planning to try one or two in the future.

The layout of the book is really fresh and friendly. It's easy to read and full of pictures that will inspire you for your own garden. And I really enjoyed the writing style. Celia Brooks Brown's voice comes through in the text and she's friendly and real.

She states at the beginning of the book that she's no expert but just someone who is sharing her experience. As someone who's trying to grow vegetables for the first time, I found this useful as she was more likely to understand what would be going through the mind of someone just starting to grow veg than someone who is an experienced gardener. Having said that, I did feel that at times, if your own experience wasn't quite the same as the author's own, you really did need to consult a more comprehensive gardening manual.

All in all, this is a really good book simply to read and let inspire you to grow your own. Once you take the plunge you can learn from the mistakes that Celia Brooks Brown made and make use of the recipes within. It's a fun, interesting book that I would recommend to new gardeners and the more experienced alike. 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Urban Farmer, 12 April 2010
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a novice when it comes to growing vegetables, having grown potatoes for four years and branching out to include other stuff only in 2009 when I had a small raised vegetable patch built in my garden.

I have bought several books for guidance, all of which have been dipped into periodically, but none have become a bible. I do not think `New Urban Farmer' will become a bible either, or a daily reference tool, but it is a book that I would recommend to others - because it is full of anecdotes about the author's own experience on an allotment, which is rather encouraging.

It is difficult to find many people in my area that grow vegetables and have either the time or the inclination to share tips. Celia Brooks Brown's book is a well-illustrated journal, split into the seasons and with reference given to each month, with tips about what to plant/harvest and a few recipes to inspire you to cook what you reap. I do not have an allotment but I feel as though I have picked up some of the tips that might have been shared with me if I did.

It isn't a book that will teach you everything about how to grow your own, but it is certainly one to consider purchasing for tips, or just for the encouraging knowledge that someone else is having a go themselves and sharing some of what they have learnt in the process with you, which might prevent you making the same mistakes yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, 11 April 2014
This review is from: New Urban Farmer (Paperback)
A great read as well as very informative. Really inspired me! The recipes are also a nice touch, it is very helpful if you areb trying to grow, cook and lie seasonally.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's a bit different, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: New Urban Farmer (Paperback)
Keep dipping into it for advice on planting and recipes for whatever time of year it is. It's a bit different and good for ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book!, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: New Urban Farmer (Paperback)
Within a day of receiving this as a gift I joined the local allotment waiting list... great tips, stories and general inspiration!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starting point for the novice gardener, 26 April 2012
Lumpster (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book for my wife who has her own veg patch and is a keen (albeit not particularly successful) grower of home produce. The book was very well received and offers really helpful guidance in a very well laid out book. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great ideas for growing especially if you have a small garden, 22 Dec 2011
Mr. Nadim Bakhshov "Nadim Bakhshov" (Bloomsbury, London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is thoroughly recommended.

Why be so upfront about it?

We have a tiny garden - and the space to grow vegetables, etc is extremely limited. For years now my wife has used all her ingenuity to get the most out of the garden: tomatoes, herbs, potatoes and so on.

Then we got this book. It completely transformed our approach and, with its incisive support began to allow us to get green beans, courgettes and so on. Not only is it got with choice but it is good with planning, organising garden space - I suppose that is the key to the success of this book.

It is beautifully illustrated and has some really quite wonderful recipes.

Get it if you've wanted to take your small garden space and grow your own......

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

New Urban Farmer
New Urban Farmer by Celia Brooks Brown (Paperback - 5 Mar 2010)
11.99