4.0 out of 5 stars Gourmet creativity
Published on 9 May 2010 by F. S. Carr

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap food???
I like this chef but I am a bit disappointed with the recipe book. Not exactly what I expected from Jason Atherton. By the time all the ingredients are bought, meals cost a lot more than a fiver! The initial outlay would only be recovered by making the same meals again and again. I would not recommend this book.
Published on 16 July 2010 by S. Innes

4.0 out of 5 stars Gourmet creativity, 9 May 2010
F. S. Carr "stingray196" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
This book landed in my kitchen after I was accused of reading 'basic' cooking magazines! To try my hand at something a bit more advanced, this book certainly offers quite challenging recipes but interesting as well, with inspiring combinations. I love the photography and the format, although I found it a little hard at first to find my way between types of food/courses.
Some recipes use quite hard to find ingredients (not your usual cupboard staple, such as japanese breadcrumbs or liquid glucose) or for example, require an ice cream maker (which not every one has).
I do like the amount of fish recipes which mainly use sustainable fish such as pollack and mackerel and the huge creativity in all dishes. There is so much to choose from, and the photos are very good.
I have so far tried only one dish, the braised lamb with celeriac pure. It was very enjoyable with good contrast between the sweet creaminess of the celeriac, the sharpness of the peas and broadbeans, the braised meat and the sauce reduction. It did take me however a good three hours to cook the whole dish, with timings 'met' just because i decided to go ahead with some of the cooking. I think it would be really helpful in these recipes to give an indication of the time it takes to finish each dish and the difficulty level, which personally i find a great help when planning a meal.
Im looking forward to try some more dishes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what the title says, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
A fantastic cookbook at a bargain price, just like the recipes inside! Jason Atherton has created a cookbook full of interesting recipes, while keeping in mind that it is nice to be able to make dinner for several people without going broke. The best part is that none of the recipes seems cheap - I would be delighted to be served the dishes in the book (and to serve them myself to my friends). He still calls for good quality ingredients, he just thinks about what types of seafood are less costly (such as sardines and mackerel) rather than throwing expensive things into a dish just for the sake of it.
I've already seen several things in the book that I want to make immediately, and it has given me a lot of good ideas for interesting flavour combinations. The cooking techniques are all relatively straightforward, so this would make a lovely gift for amateur cooks (no fancy cheffery needed to complete a special meal!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book with gorgeous delicious recipes, 28 April 2010
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
I have cooked 2 dinners from this book thus far, and the recipes are amazing. Not too hard either, little chef touches are fun and make the dishes really pretty. Delicious and well worth the lean price tag. 80 recipes from Jason Atherton... a bargain. beautiful photography as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, recipes that work and look nice, 25 May 2010
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
Got this book as a present from my hubby, as I am a Jason Atherton fan. I made the stuffed mackerel and it was a fabulous way to serve mackerel. I made the lemon posset as well, and it was so easy and totally wowed my friends. If you don't have this book in your collection, get it now. I will be happily cooking my way through it. It is a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow great recipes, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
What a very interesting book. It has everything you would want from a cookery book that is giving realistic options for a normal home menu. Also if you want something different for a special meal this is the cookery book for you. The best thing I think is that each recipe has it's own colour plate so you know exactly how to present the dish. Well done Jason, a good book for the ordinary cook to do something different easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars A chef on top of his game, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
Since leaving Gordon Ramsey Holdings, Jason Atherton has kept himself busy with television appearances and the opening of his Pollen Street Social restaurant (opens to the public on 18th April).

This latest cookbook Gourmet Food for a Fiver - following on from Maze: the cookbook (2008) - seems to structure the current textbook trend of promoting seasonal produce and recipes. Then there's the crunch and financial focus so it's all done on a budget (`for a fiver'), often creeping a little over.

There is an Asian-influenced undertone from Atherton's time spent in Asia and Dubai, but more to do with his appreciation and understanding of worldly ingredients. Atherton was the first British chef to work under Ferran Adrià at elBulli (an apprenticeship to make any chef clench their fists with jealousy). He has created the international Maze restaurant brand by setting up stations in Cape Town, New York, Doha, Melbourne, and Prague and worldly influences creep into his recipes.

There is a creative style produced using accessible ingredients, many of the recipes appearing flexible, served as either a starter or main dish. Some unusual combinations make for playful meals, such as his `nod to time spent in Alsace' with cod with bacon and beer (pg. 80), and peanut butter parfait with jam (pg. 152), based on a signature dish at Maze (that I've had, and loved).

This is a clever introduction to stylish food, Michelin standard for your kitchen - on a budget. Atherton is inventive, eclectic and very current and these simple recipes are proof that he's a chef on top of his game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cook book, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
The book is really very good. I usually use about two or three max recipes from Cook books, however this is different. I've used loads and they have all been bob on. This is not a book for beginners, as you have to be reasonably accomplished in the kitchen to carry out the skills required. The results are excellent. Dinner party guests have been bowled over by the results. The under a fiver element is a little misleading.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
This book has some amazing recipes, ranging from very basic to quite challenging but all very inspiring. Very different from the many other cookery books in my collection, I feel that the recipes in this book are much more refind and I love the little tips on plating up to make the dishes look a little more impressive and elegant, great for dinner parties. I particaularly enjoy making the desserts from this book, all the ones I have made so far have been fun to make and delicious. I maybe wouldn't reccomend this book as a starting point to a complete kitchen novice, but for any competent home cook looking for something a little different I think it's a great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking + tasty recipes, 21 Jun 2010
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
Tried 3 recipes from this book so far and found 2 pretty easy and 1 a tad difficult given it was a salad. I would recommend this book given the diversity of recipes within.

i do agree an indication of timings would have been great as this could decide what to make on a given night of the week however the concept of the book is great, great flavored meals for a reasonable price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, 18 May 2010
Ms. R. Dewis (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gourmet Food for a Fiver (Paperback)
Great little book with very tasty recipes. I have his Maze book as well. His food is fantastic.

ARRAY(0xa72308ac)

Gourmet Food for a Fiver
Gourmet Food for a Fiver by Jason Atherton (Paperback - 16 April 2010)
11.29