4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented
This is a beautifully presented book with colourful glossy pages and gorgeous food photography. Just the wonderful presentation is enough to inspire you to try these healthy recipes.

The first 45 pages of the book are about the diet, the principles of eating according to Ayurveda, what your body type is (via a questionnaire) and how to eat a balanced diet...
Published on 18 Mar. 2010 by Alison

3.0 out of 5 stars As a diet it will work, but I'm not sure its super healthy
This book is based on some ancient wisdom, and the beauty of ancient wisdom is that it has worked down the ages and that is why it has survived. The basic premise of the book is that you should eat food that is easy to digest and that you need to help your body digest things by not eating too much. You can see that as desserts are hard to digest and so is red meat that...
Published on 20 May 2010 by Crazy Seahorse

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Anjum's Eat Right for your Body Type, 14 Mar. 2010
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anjum's Eat Right for Your Body Type: the super-healthy diet inspired by Ayurveda (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I could dine out on tales of the diet books I have tried over the years and a while back resolved that I would not bother with anything that touted a strategy for losing weight. I concluded that long term salvation was in the hands (calories consumed) or feet (calories burned) of the reader rather than the author. Although I realised that sustained success required some assistance in terms of strategy, most books seemed to concentrate on food rather than me and I have been on the look out for something a little different to support my efforts.

The concept of Ayurveda was new to me and the author, Anjum Anand sufficiently fresh in her approach to overcome my ingrained scepticism. Her book starts with the person by posing a series of questions designed to establish which of three body types is most like your own. I am aware that there are different metabolic types, which reassured that there may be some factual basis to the theory.

Once that has been determined, the book outlines food to avoid and what can be eaten more freely, then sets out a good range of recipes with notes to indicate which are most suited to each body type. This makes it relatively easy to treat the book as a tailored recipe book rather than the emphasis being on `diet, diet, diet'. I am vegetarian and usually feel neglected by books aimed at omnivores but felt well catered for by the choice of meals.

My initial reaction is positive in that Ayurveda offers a framework for a healthy lifestyle, tailoring guidance around the individual and body type rather than promoting a one size fits all regime. The content and choice is attractive enough to make me warm to the concept and the theme, which is that dieting should be for life not just for after Christmas, is one I accept. The content has something to offer whether you want to lose weight or just eat more healthily.

It is too early to state whether Ayurveda has made a positive contribution to my wellbeing and sometimes it is difficult to separate out cause and effect (does reading a book motivate a healthier lifestyle or the other way round?). However, Anjum is sufficiently intelligent, interesting and entertaining to keep my attention longer than the `eat no bread' and `eat only bread' style authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars A light introduction to eating that's inspired by Ayurveda, 13 Mar. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really interesting read for anyone who has ever been intrigued by Ayurveda and wants an accessible, easy-to-understand introduction to how to introduce Ayurvedic concepts into your diet - without too much fuss. The book starts out with a quiz for the reader to answer, and you tick the description that best describes you. The questions cover everything from attitude to illness and body shape, and your answers reveal your Ayurvedic body type. The concept of Ayurveda is that there are three main different body types - pitta, vata and kapha - and you can be any combination of the three. By finding out your body's natural leanings, you can make sure that you eat the foods that suit your metabolism (although I'm not quite sure it's very Ayurvedic of me to put it like that!) and eat a diet that will help you to be healthier and more balanced.

Basically, if you are a person who tends towards fat (like me, I'm afraid!) then you are likely to find you are some kind of combination that involves the 'kapha' body type. Very sensibly, kapha types should avoid eating overly rich food etc and might want to substitute things like cornmeal for refined flour etc. This is a really lazy way for me to explain it all, and the book does it much better than I do! But if you are wondering how this book is going to help you then it may help to know that it does it by suggesting the types of food that are best for your body type. It all makes a lot of sense, not in a wishy-washy new age kind of way but in terms of very standard healthy eating which absolutely anyone would agree with.

I really liked it, and found it an interesting introduction to Ayurvedic eating and a useful and tasty collection of recipes to try with Ayurvedic diet principles in mind. After a brief introduction to Ayurveda, an explanation of the key principles and three main body types, the book gets down to business quickly to look at what you will need to do to apply Ayurvedic principles to your diet. This section starts out with a meal plan that is designed specifically for each body type, and then the recipes are collected all together in the final two-thirds of the book. The recipes are generally suited to all three body types, but a set of tips in the margin on each page will explain how to adapt the recipe for your body type - or, in some cases, it will explain that this is a great dish for a vata but if you are a kapha you might want to substitute one of the ingredients and not eat it too often.

The recipes themselves walk a fine line between both healthy and tasty - a great place to be! There is a relatively large section devoted to vegetarian recipes, as well as to fish and chicken recipes, plus other sections devoted to things like breakfast, salads, soups, desserts, etc. Nicely illustrated with colour photographs, the recipes are healthy but decidedly tasty too. I was particularly taken with some of the breakfast recipes, in particular the Lemon and Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes (cornmeal is great for my body type! However, other body types are advised to substitute oats and instructions for this are also given). I also loved the salad recipes including an Aubergine salad with Ginger dressing, and am looking forward to trying one of the yummiest-sounding vegetarian recipes - Vegetables and Edamame (soy beans) in Chilli Ginger Coconut Broth. Yum. All in all, a very interesting read and a selection of tasty but healthy recipes to add to my diet. I'm not sure I'll always be following this diet, but I think I will definitely come back to it frequently when I feel I need a bit of a detox or rebalancing. It looks pleasurable rather than painful!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Indian Recipe Book Squeezed Into The Ayurveda Format?, 8 Mar. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had high hopes for this book.
Over the years, I have read quite a lot about Ayurveda and have experienced Ayurvedic medicine, with great success.
So I was hoping to finally nail my body type and get some great recipes, to help boost my energy levels and vitality.

As other reviewers have said, the body type questionnaire is unlikely to provide a definite answer for body type. (An Ayurvedic physician would be able to help, if you really want to know your "type").
This means that you end up bridging two or three of the three types - kind of defeating the point of "Eat right for your body type".

Also, Ayurveda strongly recommends a vegetarian diet, so I was disappointed to see that the majority of main course dishes are meat or fish based. Not exactly an Ayurvedic diet and certainly not "super-healthy".

Another major premise of Ayurvedic eating is to eat food that is as fresh as possible. But this book, though aimed at the UK market, contains many recipe ingredients (apart from the spices) that are either not available from local producers (i.e. not locally-sourced food) or are out of phase, seasonally, with other recipe ingredients, so would need to be imported. This can drastically reduce their nutritional value.

In all, this is a beautifully-produced, glossy book. However, for me, it didn't deliver on its promise. It's not an Ayurvedic recipe book or nutritional system, though I concede it is loosely based on Ayurveda.

There is plenty of useful advice, as there are in many other nutritional books.

If you're a meat eater and aren't too bothered about discovering your body type, then this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes made easy., 21 May 2010
Mr. K. Cross "keithcelt2" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really like this book. I bought it because I own her other books & find cooking from them a joy. This is rather different however, bringing in the Ayurvedic element. It was very interesting to read about the different doshas (me, falling very much into the Pitta dosha category), but I'll probably not slavishly follow the recipes only for my type.
I'm pleased that the book contains a few recipes for tofu & Quinoa: the former I've cooked with twice, disasters each time, & the latter that I love but have only cooked in 2 or 3 different ways. I'll try the tofu recipes in the hope that I'll find I like this ingredient after all, & the quinoa recipes will broaden my choices of how to use it. I've already made the quinoa & sweet spice porridge that was simple to make but, Oooh, so delicious. And there's even a recipe that includes both these ingredients: warm aubergine, quinoa & tofu salad with ginger dressing.
I love that Anjum's book does not just include Indian dishes, but others from around the globe, including Greek & Moroccan. The lay-out of the book is excellent with superb photographs illustrating the finished dishes; the recipes are easy-to-follow & don't have long lists of ingredients. I suspect that this will become a much used cookery book, & I can't wait to try more of her recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, helpful advice., 2 May 2010
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is very prettily produced with an attractive layout, lots of colour photographs and a font size that doesn't strain your eyes when it is on the worktop. I knew nothing about Ayurvedic principles and found Ms Anand explains them simply and without any frills. Her own weigh loss of forty kilograms (that's over six stones for the shillings-and-pencers amongst us) is enough to persuade anyone to at least give her recipes and advice a good try.

The book tells us how to decide our basic body type and how to eat best to keep ourselves in physical and emotional balance. Most people accept that what we eat makes a difference to how we feel but I did not think it could be so clearly defined or so straightforward to identify. Foods are suggested for each type, both what is OK and what is better to avoid.

The recipes are not difficult although you might not have all the ingredients in your cupboard at first. I liked them because they are quite quick to prepare, not expensive, easy to eat and enjoyable. On the strength of this book I have taken a closer look at my usual way of cooking and have amended it without too much trouble and without any dinner table complaints.

Give it a go, I think you'll be pleased with the results both in the kitchen and in yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 22 April 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book isn't going to turn you into an Ayurvedic Food Guru but it contains enough information to get you started at looking at food combinations and applying them to your everyday life.

There are three main groups and as well as describing them and the foods that are suitable for each group, Anjum also provides interesting snippets of the theories and reasoninsg of the principles that she is sharing. There are also recipes included too, many of which are easy to incorporate without too much of that "fussy shopping"

The ayurvedic diet is a lifestyle choice so although you can easily try it out for a couple of days, I doubt you'd notice much. Also, because every family member could have a different body type, there's the hassle of cooking different meals for people. However, if you're contemplating this book, it's because you're seeing the bigger picture of your health so little nuisances like that won't matter too much (probably)

It's interesting enough to read on its own and contains recipes so you can start putting what you learn into practice.

I haven't made it a part of my life yet but the more I read the book the more I'm finding myself considering different food types and my family while I am out shopping. And that can only be a good thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 3 Jun. 2010
C. Munn (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This is not a diet book; it will not help you loose weight; it is more about a life style change. I bought this book (as I have most of her others) was a bit alarmed when it arrived and found out it was a diet book (well so I thought) but after reading it I realised it was exactly what I needed. I have suffered from bloated stomach since turning 30 and since following this diet well I have a flatter stomach, very rarely suffer from bloating and it (without being too crude) has seriously improved my bowel health. As I was reading the book everything made sense, all the foods that I felt good about eating turned out to be good for me. All the foods I don't like turns out mostly are not - what's not to love! It has also stopped me eating the same boring old stuff for breakfast every day and it has also made me less scared of fat! I had always followed a low-fat diet (despite not being fat) and realised it was totally irrational. Brilliant book can't wait for her next one to come out. Favourite recipes: tuna niscoise salad, sweet potato and goats cheese salad, porridge with cinnamon, blueberry pancakes, cardamom laced semolina (thought it would be gross), coconut fish curry and the ayurvedic lentil curry, which I am having tonight.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a skeptic but it all tastes good., 10 Jun. 2010
doublegone (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Ayurveda believes everything in the universe is made up of five elements: ether, air, fire, water and earth. These elements are energies, finer than molecules and particles."

"These energies differ from one another only by their density and vibration."

Anyone with even the barest understanding of chemistry and physics knows this is claptrap.

The theory goes further when these elements make up living things - and each of us apparently has combination of three "doshas", the vata, pitta and kapha, which establishes our body type.

So now we have left the fantasy chemistry and physics behind and have entered a world of questionable biology too.

The aim of this book is to adapt recipes to suit these different body types, and there is a questionnaire to help you decide which you are so you know what ingredients to take out and which to put in.

So you will gather I am a sceptic but what I can tell you is that the recipes are really good and the food that results is pretty delicious - especially the soups. A great five star cook book full of one star bunkum pseudo-science. A gal has to do something to make her recipes stand out from the crowd I suppose.

4.0 out of 5 stars another option to consider, 18 Mar. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book has just enough basic information about Ayurvedic principles to enable a novice ie someone who has never heard of Ayurveda before to get a basic understanding of how it works and how to apply it to their diet plan. There is some info on the three doshas - Vata, Pitta, Kapha - and a two page checklist to help you determine what your dominant dosha is, remember of course that we all have some element of all three doshas within ourselves but usually one or two are more dominant. You could be a vata/pitta or a pitta/kapha for example and exhibit traits from both doshas. Anyway, the first part of the book explains very simply what this is all about and how it works, and the second part of the book is recipes for the diet with alternate options on each recipe for making adjustments for each dosha.

Remember that Ayurveda has been around since 1500 BC so forget all about fad diets and give this Ayurvedic style of eating a try. Unlike faddy diets there is an ancient form of complementary medicine at play here. Ayurveda means "the science of life" As someone else mentioned too, there are quite a lot of vegetarian recipes included here too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mature and beneficial way to approach diet, 23 Feb. 2010
Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anjum's Eat Right for your body type The Super-healthy diet inspired by Ayurveda. A slightly clunky title for this excellent new cookbook.

Beautifully produced and gently encouraging with common sense advice this very pretty diet/recipe book is a pleasure to own and use. It presents the concept of our bodies being balanced in other than the conventional way - and carefully explains the methods involved in determining one's own type. It is like a personal consultation with a quietly clever, charming practitioner.

The illustrations and art work are charming, all very tempting and inspirational. It will take time to deduce your best match and to put yourself in the correct category. Re education indeed and surely worth the effort. The basics of Ayurveda medicine are knowledgably explained, in context and when relative to the text.

The photographs are truly beautiful, the food light and healthy in every way, presented with charm and style. I really like this book and look forward to enjoying the special, different meals. I would love to have a meal with the writer herself!

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›