5.0 out of 5 stars Very good advice on healthy eating.
Western culture centres around processed convenience foods, which we all know are bad for us and make us fat, but we keep eating them because they're, well, convenient... This book offers you a new way of viewing food, and enjoying the feeling of being really healthy.

Published on 13 April 2010 by Lucy Lavande

2.0 out of 5 stars Might be OK if you could actually figure out your body type!
When I first looked at this book I was impressed by the lovely production, the thick glossy pages and the easy to read, personal style of the writing. However after a while I began to see that this is not the book for me.

Published on 30 Mar 2010 by Miss

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good advice on healthy eating., 13 April 2010
Lucy Lavande - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anjum's Eat Right for Your Body Type: the super-healthy diet inspired by Ayurveda (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It identifies three body types, Vata, Pitta and Kapha, and it's very easy to relate to whichever you are. From there, you learn which foods are good or bad for your body type; certain foods are badly digested by certain body types, and can affect your general wellbeing in subtle ways that you may never have guessed could be down to your diet. You also learn small lifestyle changes which enhance the positive effects of cutting out bad foods and eating good ones, for example sitting or lying still for five minutes to boost your metabolism. This is a wonderfully illumating book which puts you back in touch with your physical health, without being preachy or patronising. It makes you want to embrace the advice it offers, because you know as you read it that this is true, sensible, good advice that will transform your health.

2.0 out of 5 stars Might be OK if you could actually figure out your body type!, 30 Mar 2010
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The book aims to help you see which type of `dosha' is dominant in your body, and then guide you in the right way to balance your various doshas. There is a chart to help you work out which dosha is dominant in you. The problem with this for me was that there was no real distinction between the three types in my body and so I was unsure what to do. Also, even if there is a dominant dosha or two dominant ones, the instructions as to how to balance them still sound quite unclear to me.

The recipes look a bit hit and miss - there's a bit too much tofu in them for me! Unfortunately only around half of them have photographs with them, and even more unfortunately, there are no calorie amounts or fat measurements with them. This is a shame, as the introduction says that if you don't want to follow the Ayurveda plan then you can still use this as a source of low fat, healthy recipes, but without calories counts there's not much chance of fitting them into a regular diet if you're already following one or keeping a track of how many calories or fat you consume.

Unfortunately this book was too complex and unclear for me and I wouldn't recommend it, though I will probably try a couple of the nicer looking recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented, 18 Mar 2010
Alison "runninggirlcycling" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a beautifully presented book with colourful glossy pages and gorgeous food photography. Just the wonderful presentation is enough to inspire you to try these healthy recipes.

The first 45 pages of the book are about the diet, the principles of eating according to Ayurveda, what your body type is (via a questionnaire) and how to eat a balanced diet according to your body type. There are then 8 pages of detox information and then the rest of the book is recipes. Most of the recipes (but not all) are illustrated with an image.

Each recipe is laid out the same: an introductory paragraph, brief information about the appropriateness of each recipe for the 3 body types, an ingredients list and instructions on how to prepare the meal. The majority of the recipes use ingredients that will be available from most supermarkets. There is an emphasis on fresh ingredients, including lots of herbs and spices. Instructions for preparing the food are concise but sufficient to complete successfully. None of the recipes are particularly complicated. The only thing I thought was missing was a "preparation time" and "cooking time" summary at the top of each recipe.

If you want to broaden the repertoire of healthy recipes then this book will definitely help with that. The book covers a variety of foods and will freshen up your cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Approach to Ayurveda: Brilliant..., 25 July 2010
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anjum's fresh uptake on Ayurveda is very enlightening. There is many books on the subject but she has brought a more modern & more complete cover of the subject. It is as if she has brought the subject to a new generation; one that is more "digestible" (!) for the modern man... (forgive the pun)

I find this book is very thorough & informative on all areas of Ayurveda.
The first part of the book talks about the 3 different body types, a test to determine which one you are (although I found some of the questions unclear), a lot of advice & info about the different doshas (body types) & what is good for each (including what to eat, lifestyle, exercise etc).I find some the food qualities confusing even though she describes them one by one but there is an index at the back of the book describing each foods one by one, their qualities (e.g. astringent, pungent, salty),recommendations for each type(if they should avoid, have little of each) etc.
Of course all the above leads to the main topic, using Ayurveda to lose weight. She talks about Ayurveda & weight loss in a few pages but mainly she talks about the fact that once you recognise your body type or dosha, & then redo the test to find which dosha is out of balance & you go about "balancing" that dosha which leads to weight loss ( she tells you how you can balance that dosha).
What I liked about this approach is that it doesn't tell you to go on a "diet" but rather change the way you eat which is best for your body type. This, for me, is the best diet as everyone knows "diets" don't work in the long run.
The second part is mostly recipes which seem very appetising. For each recipe she advises which doshas should eat it, avoid it, or change certain ingredients, so you know if that recipe is good for you or not.

If you are looking for a healthy long term eating plan, this book is excellent (which will naturally result in weight loss).
But I think holistically, weight loss goes deeper than just eating. It is an emotional imbalance & there are many other books which are also a good aid to understanding this topic. One being Losing Your Pounds of Pain by Doreen Virtue (I think she also does another book on the subject which I haven't read but should be also very good).

A beautifully presented book with equally beautiful pictures.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 30 Mar 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like to follow a healthy diet and I am always on the look out for ideas and good cook books, so when I saw this I thought it was worth a try. However, I found this book to be overcomplicated and uninspiring. The recipes were OK but not as good as other books I have and they didn't contain any nutritional information so it wouldn't be that easy to fit them into a low fat or calorie controlled diet. Also some of the recommendations from Anjum didn't really fit as for some body types she said to substitute or add butter, maple syrup, honey, etc to a lot of the recipes.

I think there are better cook books for people wanting to follow a healthy diet and I don't believe it would be easy to lose weight with this book considering there is no way of building your own a meal plan from the recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars a fairly decent recipe book, 12 April 2010
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have not stuck to this as a diet so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. However, firstly I was unable to identify which body type I was as I fell completely between the three. I'm always looking for the miracle cure for being fat and would try anything! But this book did not even let me begin because I don't know which food to choose. Perhaps if you fell more squarely into a category this might be a fantastic plan.

The recipes look lovely though and I've tried a few which were simple to prepare and very nice but not absolutely the most delicious, but then it is a weight loss book afterall. Some of the ingredients aren't too easy to buy though which again makes it a bit of a problem.

I liked the style of writing though; it is very friendly, chatty and informal. The structure of the book is also great and photos are appealing and well presented. Overall, the book is a very interesting read but personally I'm unsure of its claims but I'd be very interested to hear what others think.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious and uninspiring, 25 Mar 2010
Dr. D. E. Goldwater "dodiceleedoo" (Bushey, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am from a traditional medical background so I suppose that would make me more cynical than the next man but this book is not the most inspiring on the shelf.

Trying to work out what kind of person you are obviously leads to the fact that we cannot be pigeon-holed, we are all individuals with different strengths and weaknesses, different chracters and different character traits.

Once you have worked out your type, the recipes are a hotch potch - from indian to italian and back again - the trouble is that none of them look that inspiring.

I love recipe books. I love cooking but I am not sure that I will be picking this off the shelf.

This book is trying to be too many things without really succeeding in any of them.

Disappointing.....

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 17 Mar 2012
This is a beautiful book, easy to use and to understand - which is an achievement in itself as sometimes ayurvedic principles can appear complex and not easily explained. The descriptions of body types match well with self-assessment scales in other books.
The recipes are interesting and delicious and easy to follow. The ingredients are all readily available and adapted to western styles of cooking. Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars 'My body is my temple', 24 Feb 2010
Bob and Billy's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
More a way to eat 'forever' than a slimming diet, this glossy book offers advice based on the ancient art of Ayurveda. You are supposed to eat according to the principles of your 'Dosha' or body type (Vata Kapha and Pita). As western ways are prone to create an imbalance, the advice given here shows the way forward to a more nourishing diet both physically, mentally and spiritually.

I am still confused somewhat as to what my body type is though, despite following the advice to think back to a time when my body was in a more 'natural' state (childhood). I guess trial and error, and repeated ticking off the questionairre (top tip included to use pencil to allow re-use!)will clarify things.

Anjum offers gentle and heartfelt advice throughout. And the recipes? - simply delicious!

3.0 out of 5 stars Eat right, 23 May 2014
If you are interested in food this would be worth considering. For the average person this is too detailed and just another food gurus book.

Used & New from: 1.41