5.0 out of 5 stars Great makes
Published on 31 Aug. 2009 by Candi Says

3.0 out of 5 stars blankets bears & bootees
a book with good ideas and something a little different.
I did find an error on the pattern on page 94 2nd row of shape instep, I think should read k20 stiches and turn, once I sorted that the bootees turned out good. Frustrating but easily worked out for an experienced knitter.
Published on 31 Aug. 2009 by Mrs. V. Brendon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great makes, 31 Aug. 2009
Candi Says (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
This book has some great makes in it. It is well laid out, with nice photowork and plenty of projects for beginners and intermediates. There are a selection of blankets - all of which seem more useful and less complicated than ones you get in other books, some lovely toys, booties, a couple of cardigans and of course the incredible big bird beanbag. Which I think is worth the book alone! I've never seen anything like it and intend to make it (although it will probably take me about a year!) 19 50g balls of Debbie Bliss aran is a bit excessive but you could make it for a lot cheaper!

I think this is a useful book both for your own baby and for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
I find Debbie Bliss books very comforting and reassuring to work from - you always know exactly what you're going to get. The designs are classic and chic and always beautiful, the instructions are well laid out (very glad that each line of pattern comes with the number of stitches in brackets, so you know you're on track), and the diagrams are clear and helpful.

This book contains 25 lovely patterns, and as you would guess from the title there are 7 blankets, 7 bootees, and for 'bears' there's a big and little teddy bear, a rabbit, a mouse in striped dress (so cute) and a little bird. There's also a pretty triangle edge top which matches one of the bootee patterns, a striped cardigan to match the striped bootees, Fairisle hangers, building blocks, a memory book and a big bird cushion / beanbag (amazing).

It's lovely that some of the patterns are themed with others - eg the rabbit and bootees with blanket stitch detail match one of the blankets, there's a striped blanket to match the toy mouse's striped dress, and more. The 7 bootees are all different and give you a great choice. All of these would make lovely gifts and there's a range of skills and time taken, so you can find something to whip up in a weekend or a larger project, depending on what you want. I've made the mouse in striped dress so far and it was really simple and quick, and turned out gorgeous.

Special mention goes to the teddy blanket and teddy slippers, which have a teddy bear face knitted on them! Really cute.

All in all a wonderful book, with lots of lovely patterns.

3.0 out of 5 stars blankets bears & bootees, 31 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
a book with good ideas and something a little different.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but have an expert on hand!, 10 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
This is a lovely book. I spent ages just enjoying reading it after getting it for Christmas. I love the big bird beanbag and there are enough simple beginner projects to keep a beginner busy while achieving an end result.
Be warned though that there is a tricky part in the sandal pattern where you create the "bump border" between sole and shoe. "Purl next row with equivalent stitch 7 rows below" defeated me. Luckily I made it to Aneeta Patel's knitting SOS (her book is fab for beginners - Knitty Gritty) and she worked it out. But it is not a common instruction and I think my mother and other experienced knitters might have had difficulty doing it let alone a relative beginner.
NB to Debbie Bliss and publishers - maybe one to explain more clearly in any revised edition?

4.0 out of 5 stars Another so-so pattern book, 11 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
This is by far the best Debbie Bliss book I have bought, but that isn't great praise. I would knit the majority of patterns in here, excluding the bootees and have already knitted the little bird, bird beanbag and blanket stitch rabbit. If you enjoy knitting blankets and toys rather than clothes as baby gifts, then this is the book for you. There are some lovely ideas in it and blankets are always useful items that have a far longer life than baby clothes - which justifies the price of the yarn!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that Blissful a book, 27 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
Contrary to what another reviewer says, I would suggest that you need to have a fair amount of experience before attempting some of the patterns in this book. I am pleased with the way the teddy bear turned out, but it annoyed me that, on page 118, for 'shape base', after instructions for 3 rows, you are told to 'continue in the same way until 8 st remain.' It fails to point out that you have to knit 2 less stitches before the decrease in each succeeding row.This may seem obvious to some, but I had to unpick, then scan the pattern closely before I saw the reason for my problem. Similarly with the triangle edge bootees, there is a crucial instruction left out at the end. The pattern tells you to attach the edging to the cast off edge, but it took me ages to figure out that the top few rows had then to be turned over at the top of the bootee to get the same effect as the picture. I don't consider myself particularly stupid!
Generally, although there is great play on including advice re sewing up at the beginning of the book, there is lack of specific advice per pattern. I would have welcomed more help on how to place the limbs of the bear, and what kind of stitch to use when attaching one stuffed piece to another at an awkward angle. It seems as though the patterns are devised and tested by skilled knitters who do not realise that simple omissions may cause problems for less experienced knitters.
Finally, my biggest bugbear (no pun intended) was the Building Blocks for babies. Having knitted the 30 squares required in varying patterns and with motifs, I found that I could not find a supplier of 7.5 cm square cubes of foam as required by the pattern. Even more worryingly, the pattern did not point out that this had to be non toxic foam, as most foam has chemicals in it which is harmful to babies. I spent 3 weeks trawling phone books and the internet, then contacting the publisher and Debbie Bliss herself ( with great difficulty), asking where they had found cubes of non toxic foam. DB told me that she could not give details of who had supplied her 'for legal reasons'! Finally a 2 page letter to the publishers has resulted in them sending me the contact details for a supplier, whom I shall contact on Monday. However, it is going to add on over £12 to the cost of the yarn to produce just 5 building blocks.
And that reminds me that one reviewer has said they are going to knit the massive penguin. Have they worked out the cost of yarn, plus lining material?? It's very appealing, but I guess the cost will be around £100. And have they worked out how they will clean it when babe pukes all over it?!
I must finish by saying that some of the patterns are very stylish, and look great when made, but I shall be avoiding DB's books in future for the reasons stated above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Debbie Bliss baby knits, 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
Gorgeous patterns for sweet, snuggly baby things! A good range of smaller (ie:quicker to make) and larger items. Good instructions too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and easy knits, 31 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
Although it's not my favourite of Debbie's books it is still a lovely book. The picot bootees were quick and easy to knit and the end result is gorgeous. The best part is that you do not have to be an experienced knitter to produce Debbie's lovely creations. Everything is explained well and her patterns are really easy to follow. I am very pleased to have added this book to my knitting collection. I also recommend Debbie's 3 Baby Cashmerino books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not enough patterns for the money, 15 July 2014
NOELLE (BRENTOR, Tavistock, Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
Good book, but not enough patterns for the money, so I consider it expensive. I made three items for my newborn grandson and there's not much else in it to make for him as he lives in a hot country. I made the First shoes,, the snuggle rabbit, the cuddle rabbit. All appreciated by his proud mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely items for babies and adults, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Blankets, Bears and Bootees (Paperback)
I bought the book as I had previously had the mouse and matching blanket pattern from a magazine and made these for my nephew. they were much admired. I am now part way through doing the bear and it is lovely and the pattern easy to follow.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blankets, Bears and Bootees
Blankets, Bears and Bootees by Debbie Bliss (Paperback - 7 Aug. 2009)