Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2008
I just received the paperback version of 'Romantic Cakes'. Gorgeous cakes and layout, lovely mouth-watering designs, some of which seem achievable for the beginner.
However - I'm not sure if I'm missing something vital here or am just blind - in the instructions, Peggy Porschen refers quite a few times to templates for e.g. butterflies or roses at the back inside of the book, but there aren't any! Is this a major oversight of the publisher? I assume they might have printed them on the cover for the hardback edition and then maybe forgot it for the paperback one? In any case, I can't find any templates anywhere in the book, which is a great shame.
on 23 September 2008
This is a lovely book but I was glad I got it out the library first. The wedding/stacked cakes are lovely, but make up a small part of the book. The main bulk of it is cookies and small individual cakes, very trendy in the USA who this was aimed at. In short, if you can, reserve it on line from your library first, then make your mind up. If, however, you want a book which mixes cookies, mini cakes and stacked cakes, and gives you a taste of all aspects, then great, order it, because the ideas are lovely in each chapter. I also noticed the lack of templates??
on 5 October 2008
I already owned Peggy Porschen's previous book "Pretty Party Cakes", so just knew this one would be equally good. The book has been invaluable as I have made several celebration cakes, and find that her designs are so pretty and she explains each stage with care so it is easy to understand. I always use the different flavourings she describes for the cake mixture, buttercream and soaking syrups, which make such a difference to the taste of the cake. I also found the tables at the end of the book very useful for working out the quantities of cake mixture, sugar paste and marzipan required for cakes / boards etc., especially for my first wedding cake which turned out wonderfully. I also used her instructions for making roses which were very successful. This is always the book I get out first when I am embarking on making a new cake! Incidentally, for the information of the previous reviewers, the butterfly templates are on the back page of the hard-back book.
on 14 April 2007
Peggy Porschen is a professional and all of the cakes and cookies in this book require some cake decorating tools to make. If you have, or are willing to invest in various cutters, piping bags and nozzles then this book contains some stunningly beautiful projects that are not overly complicated.

As the title makes clear the theme of the book is romance, hearts and flowers all play a part in the cookies, cupcakes, small cakes and large cakes featured. One of the large cakes pays homage to Kath Kidston who Peggy admits to being a big fan of (a template is included to help achieve the artwork).

The last chapter in the book covers basics, giving recipes for sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, Victoria sponge, rich dark chocolate cake, butter cream frosting and Belgian chocolate ganache. Assembling cakes is also covered along with icing techniques and helpful hints.

Peggy is an incredibly talented cake decorator and the book is beautiful, the pictures and styling make it almost worth buying just to look at even if you have no intention of making anything.
on 5 January 2009
the cover speaks by itself: amazing! all design in this repertoir are very romantic as the book promises.You will find a beautiful cookie section too and a technique to make shaped sugar cubes which i liked a lot. I have made a few of the designs in this book and can't wait to make the rest. The missing star is because although the book is called romantic CAKES there are infact less cake designs than cookie ones..
on 25 February 2008
This book is so useful for beginners and experts alike. Before making my birthday cake from this book, I had never made anything more exciting than a basic victoria sponge. The gorgeous designs make you so enthused to bake, I have already planned to make other cakes, and am investing in cake smoothers, different sized tins and food colouring!!! I would highly reccommend it!!
on 28 November 2008
This book is amazing, inspiration from beginning to end, whether you decide to match the cakes exactly or take parts from each it's fab.

The tuition section is very clear, although I will definately have to build up my skills and practice for much of it.

The sponge recipe is the best i've ever had and divides perfectly as indicated in the guidelines for differing cake tin sizes.

I would reccommend this to anyone looking for contemporary cake, cookie and cupcake ideas or just for a good look through if you love cakes generally.
on 18 February 2008
Fantastic book, it just makes you want to make beautiful tiered cakes with gorgeous flowers. Lots of projects for less experienced cake decorators as well as those who are confident in sugarcraft. A beautiful book to have in your collection.
on 8 January 2009
I adore Peggy Porschen cakes, they are gorgeous and so popular. I have both this book, and the pretty party cake book. I have my own cake decorating business, and regularly use the books as inspiration and ideas for modern wedding and birthday cakes for my clients, and by looking at the step by steps, they understand how much work is involved. I couldnt be without these books, they are wonderful! Recommended to all :-)
on 13 February 2011
This is a fantastic book, and one I have gotten a lot of use and inspiration. Despite the fact that a wedding cake is featured on the front cover, I was pleased to find that this book isn't exclusively wedding cakes, although in fairness there are quite a few featured. Mini cakes, cupcakes, cookies and even heart shaped sugar cubes also feature in this book, all in very pretty, feminine designs.

The majority of the designs are very achievable even for someone with limited experience, although there are a few that some may find a little more challenging. The instructions are all written out clearly, some with step by step pictures, and I find them easy to follow. I find the designs are also quite adaptable - for example I rarely have the need to make a tiered cake, but many of the tiered designs in here could easily be changed to a single tiered cake, and colours could be changed to suit personal preferences.

One thing I find a little odd about this book, is that the `basics' section which covers recipes and techniques is in the back, whereas I would normally expect that to be at the front. It's no great hardship, I just find it a little strange.

Another reviewer commented that the paperback edition does not contain the templates, however I have the paperback edition which is marked `reprinted in 2009' and this does have the templates included so I can only assume the publisher has rectified this mistake, and if buying from Amazon marketplace it could be worth checking the version with the seller first.