4.0 out of 5 stars Handsome, tempting and tasty
Published on 18 April 2009 by G.A.D-L

I bought this thinking it would be quite an accessible book with the recipes being easy to moderate and that the ingredients would be fairly easy to come by with me living in England's second city; what I found was a book made for the experienced cook who occupies the upper middle class section of society with lots of time on their hands.

For the average Jo...
Published on 9 Jun 2011 by Mr. Stefan Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Handsome, tempting and tasty, 18 April 2009
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
As Mark Hix has recently opened an Oyster Bar near to us that we can't afford to use, it was good to find that most of the recipes in his book are eminently affordable. I am intrigued by some of the more unusual parts or cuts of fish and meat he tackles and applaud his desire to get us eating bits often discarded. I haven't yet found a fishmonger to provide me with cod's tongues or cod chitterlings (not intestines as for pork but 'unformed roe' apparently. But have challenged my butcher (I am lucky to have a real one in our tiny Devon town)for less usual cuts and loved the results. The recipes I have tried have worked well and I have enjoyed the friendly and informative text.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one to buy, 26 Nov 2008
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
A really lovely book and should be on the top of every foodie's xmas or birthday list. Cooking great food with the best local produce - little effort and maximum taste, it picks up on the way I want to shop and cook. Whipped potatoes with chanterelles, mutton broth or chocolate dipped walnuts, divine. Its hard to write about this book without wanting to cook and eat from it right now! Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Hix - Thank you !!, 5 Mar 2009
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
This is a pure gem. Everyone who wants to cook seasonal food for the family table or for entertaining you should be reading this suberb book. There may be a few things you are not familiar with and some ingredients not readily available (look at chitterlings) however, embrase what Mark Hix is giving you and you will live happily ever after with a full and satisfied tummy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine - if you have hours of time and are willing to travel miles to find the ingredients!, 9 Jun 2011
Mr. Stefan Smith "swazzy" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)

For the average Jo with a 9 to 5 job, non of the recipes in here are for week days, and even if you managed to go ahead and attempt one during the time you have over a weekend, you will find it extremely difficult to find some of the obscure ingredients listed in many of the recipes. Seasonal? - maybe, but you will find it difficult to find a few of the more highly specific ingredients, esp the ones you would have to collect along the coastline.

Only buy if you're a serious chef!

5.0 out of 5 stars British Seasonal Food, 11 Oct 2009
G. Gott (Stratford-upon-Avon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
What a delight to open "British Seasonal Food"; it is beautifully laid out with recipes for each month accompanied by photographs and drawings. I enjoy reading Mark Hix in "The Independent" and here his writing at the beginning of each month sets the scene well. But the most important part is, of course, the recipes and these do not disappoint; the ones I have tried worked well. His attitude to food is to use good, seasonal ingredients to make simple food with balanced flavours. I have been using the book to get ideas for cooking as the year progresses, but also just to read for pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant!, 27 Nov 2008
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
This is an excellent and extremely well written book, full of wonderful recipes. The focus on local produce and some fabulous insights make it difficult to put down. I would recommend it for any with an interest in food, from beginners to real foodies. It's great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for anyone with a passion for Seasonal British food, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
I urge you to read this book. It champions British seasonal food and does make you realise how much we eat that is over-processed and tampered with. It's a bit sad really, when we have all this at our disposal. Eating seasonally also gives you things to look forward to - something lost in our world of convenience, whether it's asparagus in May or September's prawns. Mark Hix also actively encourages foraging - for wild garlic, nettles and mushrooms, if you know what you are doing. But for now, I'm off to pester my fishmonger about some gurnard. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chef, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
I bought this for my son for Christmas he is very into Mark Hix cooking and this book he did not have. H was so very pleased with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars could be better, 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
I want the crockery from the well styled photo's more than I want to make any of the recipes.
Many call for ingredients you would struggle to get outside of London or a 'foodie town', for example 'Razor Clams with Wild Boar Bacon and Hedgerow Garlic'.
In the authors favour, he describes some common but under-used ingredients and what's in season when(ish).
It's a beautiful looking book, gorgeous illustrations and a ton of photo's, but it's not a book I'd turn to in times of culinary crisis.

3.0 out of 5 stars food writer from london who thinks veg grows on a barrow, 23 Jan 2010
This review is from: British Seasonal Food (Hardcover)
i am sorry to say this appears to be another book by by an author who is out of touch, as a grower of veg and a food lover this man does not understand vegatable seasons and the best food from the best place in season,
regards
Richard

British Seasonal Food
British Seasonal Food by Mark Hix (Hardcover - 3 Oct 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01