5.0 out of 5 stars simple yet tasty indian food
Published on 1 Nov 2008 by Dazzer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking recipes, but I cant
I love Anjum's tv show and the recipes in this book look very nice too. Unfortunately everything I tried to cook so far was a failure. The fish curry turned out brown grey colour and quite unpleasant taste. Since I have little experience in curries, I measured all the spices precisely and followed the recipes to the letter. Comparing recipes with the TV recordings, I have...
Published 12 months ago by A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars simple yet tasty indian food, 1 Nov 2008
Dazzer (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
I've watched the TV series with interest so I thought I'd take the plunge and buy Anjums new book. There are a lot of new recipes I've not heard of before in here but the first one I tried was the good old vindaloo. I was a little skeptical because there didn't seem to be a lot of ingredients but as it turned out it made a delicious curry. These proberbly aren't pure authentic Indian recipes but that's not what the book is claiming, after all the series is called Indian food made easy.
I've bought several so called Indian cook books that failed to deliver but this is not one of them. I'm definately going to be hunting out other books by the same author

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know what that other person is talking about!, 29 Oct 2008
C. Elliott "Char" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
I have recently bought this book, as I have her other one and use it all the time, and I love it! This is a classic easy, simple Indian cooking book. She makes things easy and interesting by explaining where the traditional dishes come from and what they were made for in the first place.
I think this book is aimed to make Indian food more accesable to the English to make, rather than the curries etc that we are used to from takeaways. Her writing is fun and approachable and she goes through everything from starters, sauces, pudding, drinks.
I for one, will be buying other titles of hers and would urge people who like simple, easy Indian traditional cuisine without the fuss and expense of a takeawy to buy this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook for Light, Modern Indian Meals, 29 Oct 2008
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
I found Anjum's latest cookbook a refreshingly light, modern take on Indian cuisine, with a fantastic selection of indian light meals and snacks, such as the Spongy Lentil Cake or Goan Chorizo Sandwich, and adapted Anglo-Indian treats like Indian Shepherd's Pie and Spicy Keralan Mash. Unlike some Indian cookbooks, that can focus too much on just curry's, this book offers stews, sundal's and a plethora of fish, chicken, meat, vergetables, beans and lentils and rice suggestions. Her tips and information on the cooking in different regions of India complimented the contents well. I can't wait for her new TV series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Worth every penny., 7 Jan 2009
Mrs. B. Gillespie (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is brilliant.

The recipe's are easy to do, easy to follow, and the ingrediants are easy to source (and I live in a little fishing village in Cornwall!).

She has a very good grip on the different regional food, and gives a two page spread to each region that helps you to understand the history of the food, and how to combine dishes for dinner parties.

She has an in depth explaination of cooking methods, (the first few pages MUST be read to cook the dishes as they need to be). She explains all of the spices, and often gives alternatives for hard to find ingrediants.

I have tried five different recipies after 2 weeks of having it, and every recipe makes me excited to cook more from her book. Here's a selection of the different recipes:

Red Goan Chicken
Green Chicken Biryani
Pork Vindaloo
Pilau Rice (lots of different types)
Goan Prawn Cake
Lamb Shank Korma
Cannellini Bean Curry

All of the ones I have cooked, have some spice - although she insists that if you don't like spicy food, you can take out the chilli - but the key to every recipe is the flavour.

These recipes are not what you get in Indian Take-Out - they are way better! If you like cooking, like proper food, and like Indian Food, this is the cookbook for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
Nice selection of recipes-different from other Indian cookbooks. There is a great chicken tikka salad with pistachio and lemon dressing-very easy yet tastes amazing. All recipes are easy-the hardest part is making a paste-just make sure you have a lot of Indian spices as there are many used throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipes, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
All the recipes that I've done from this book have been delicious. I've followed them to the letter and they have turned out great. Anjum's books are now my go to curry books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 21 May 2013
Franky (France (from UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
I love cook books & I buy them to improve my cooking skills. I do use them and would throughly recommend this book. This book has numerous great receipes. My one criticism is that I would like more ...there are a couple of 'snack' receipes which i don't need - but one brilliant lunch or breakfast spicy eggs & tomatoes which is superb ... as is the bengali fish stew and bengali chicken curry . oh and the tomatoe chutcney .. oh and the mango mousse... Yes I will be purchasing more of Anjum's cookery books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Indian recipes, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
Plenty more great curries to make and as always with Anjum all the taste with a lower calorie count 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars a revelation, 14 Feb 2009
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
i have been a keen indian food cook for many years. i saw the series and thought that some of the recipes looked a bit different. i recieved the book and just can't stop cooking. the book is well presented with tempting pictures, the recipes are easy to follow. the recipes for dal as an example are so individual with their spicing that no two recipes taste the same or like others i have cooked before. my frind has made some spice mixes for me from this and the previous book, the fragrance is truely inspiring. this book would quickly fall into the 'how did i manage without it category'

4.0 out of 5 stars Coconut (don't bother reading this review if you really like coconut), 31 July 2010
A. Byrnes "Andie" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
On the up-side I've been looking for an Indian cook book which combines relatively easy recipes with relatively easy to source ingredients, has lots of photos so that I can see what I should be producing and provides good tasting results - and this book ticks all those boxes. It is a modern take on Indian cooking but it works for me.

From my point of view the only problem with the book was the repetitive use of coconut, which is one of my pet hates. I would have given the book five stars if it had been less coconut intensive, and I thought that it might be worth highlighting this fact for anyone else who shares my distaste for it. It is used in various forms (coconut milk, desiccated coconut, coconut oil) in a lot of the recipes. I've never really though of coconut as a standard component in Indian food and I wouldn't have bought the book had I realized. Most of the fish dishes are based on coconut (8 out of 13 recipes), for example.

One can, of course, try to find substitutes, which is what I will do - but there's no guarantee that they will come out anything like Anjum intended.

Anjum's New Indian
Anjum's New Indian by Anjum Anand (Hardcover - 5 Sep 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01