4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and exquisite food
Skye Gyngell is the chef at Petersham Café, a heavenly café-restaurant in the middle of Petersham Nurseries. In the old greenhouses, surrounded by plants, flowers and many a ravishing household accessory, you will eat simple but exquisitely prepared food.

`A year in my kitchen', Skye's first book, is a real labour of love written with great...
Published on 9 Feb 2007 by Henrietta Green of FoodLoversB...

3.0 out of 5 stars Gentle Foodie reading
I thought this would be an interesting cook book as the premise is that it concentrates on cooking with the produce of the seasons. Something I am quite keen to get into. It is a really beautiful book with dreamy, misty photographs and is beautifully put together. Recipe-wise though, it really is more appropriate for the professional cook running a large kitchen as the...
Published on 31 Jan 2009 by A. Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A Year in my Kitchen - review of Skye Gingell's book, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: A Year in my Kitchen (Paperback)
Some thought-provoking muses from a wonderful cook on getting the best from local, seasonal produce and some very good recipes. As yet, only a few tried, but really well-balanced, many inspired. Not a flashy production number, but quietly thoughtful and straightforward guide. Like the food at her place in Petersham Nurseries, I find myself going back for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book but a bit complicated, 13 Aug 2008
Sabine Zimmermann (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Year in My Kitchen (Hardcover)
I'm not a beginner by far, but even I find it a bit too much, if I have to prepare toolbox ingredients first, before I can actually start to cook. Apart from that, the book is very beautifully laid out and contains some nice recipes and a lot more that sound interesting, so if you've got some time to spend in the kitchen, the book is certainly worth having. I'm probably not going to use it on a large scale, since I'm working and haven't got that much time (bit of a pity).

3.0 out of 5 stars Content good, quality of book poor, 26 May 2014
This review is from: A Year in my Kitchen (Paperback)
The content is good, there are some really lovely recipes, but the book itself unravelled as I opened it. The whole book came away from the spine the first time I opened the front cover and now half the pages have fallen out. Its pretty poor quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 23 May 2014
This review is from: A Year in my Kitchen (Paperback)
Encapsulates all that is great about modern cuisine. An valuable addition to my cookery library. And I have weeded out the really dated ones in favour of books like this. Exceptional

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, 4 May 2014
Madge "Marge" (Suffolk England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Year in my Kitchen (Paperback)
The spine left the rest of the book on first opening, otherwise there are no obvious problems. The risk you take with a second hand book I suppose.
It was delivered the next day and I will still enjoy using it after a dollop of superglue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flavoursome recipes, 5 Feb 2014
EFP (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Year in my Kitchen (Paperback)
It took me ages to decide whether or not to buy this book - unfortunately I find Ms Gyngell's writing style slightly irksome (am I alone in finding her language a little self-obsessed? Possibly.) Moreover there is an element of fussiness in her cooking (always peel celery? Really?)
However, these are somewhat personal observations and I found that once I got past those initial reservations, the food was a revelation. This woman has an incredible understanding of flavour and the recipes are perfectly balanced. There is one recipe in this book, for Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup, which is nothing short of perfect. If you were to subtract or add a single element, that fine balance would be lost. And it is this which epitomises the recipes in this book: beautifully crafted, sublime and an absolute delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great cook book, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Year in my Kitchen (Paperback)
Liked the lay out, the recipes were interesting and it is a beautiful original and worthwhile book for you cookery bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars great inspiration, 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: A Year in My Kitchen (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic cook book from an inspirational chef. There are some great standard recipes for basics plus some really original ones to try new stuff. I've eaten at the Petersham Nurseries where Skye Gingel puts her expertise into practice and the food if fantastic so I hope that I'll be able to emulate her!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true-labor of love!, 7 May 2007
This review is from: A Year in My Kitchen (Hardcover)
This book (I could tell) was written as a real labor of love! The foods are exceptional and the recipes are easy to follow. You owe it to yourself to add this book to your must own lists of kitchen helpers to have on hand!

3.0 out of 5 stars a little precious, 16 Aug 2009
This review is from: A Year in my Kitchen (Paperback)
This cookbook is a little disappointing because of the format (paperback) and the receipes are a little complicated to really re-create in a nomral kitchen. I was expecting more pictures of Petersham Nurseries as well. Try to have a look in a bookshop before buying.

A Year in my Kitchen
A Year in my Kitchen by Skye Gyngell (Paperback - 1 Feb 2008)
10.49