4.0 out of 5 stars make!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cath Kidston - Make
Published on 14 Oct. 2008 by Melissa

1.0 out of 5 stars Cath Kidston - Make, 14 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
I was very disappointed with the book as it was advertised as instructions to make things with Cath Kidston fabrics. I was hoping there'd be patterns for bags and things. Instead the book focuses on customising ready made items with C.K. designs e.g. buy a bag, buy a tea towel, buy a baby's bib and use the designs to embellish them. From my point of view the book is extremely disappointing as I was looking to make something from scratch. Having said that the designs are as you'd expect from Cath Kidston stuff. However, the book could have been a lot better had there been full instructions to make the items and customise them - a lot more satisfying. At the cost of a couple of magazines it is OK but I'm glad I didn't pay the full rrp. If you want to make something then look elsewhere, there are plenty of better books out there to get you started. If you're looking for C.K. designs then you can't go wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars make what exactly?, 15 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
I've been eagerly awaiting Caths latest book but this one should have been called 'embelish' or 'adorn' rather than 'make'.
As always a nicely laid out book and typically colourful, the finished items just don't appeal to me at all,there could have been far more projects using the enclosed templates that were not only sewn,a small painted cupboard maybe? I'm a great fan of Ms Kidston but this isn't one of her better books,possibly aimed at 10 year old girls.I don't know anyone over 10 that would wear the pink college cardigan with felt initials or a cowboy appliqued skirt, but hey, I may be wrong. Nice vintage blanket with the cars on and the needle case is pretty and you do get the free bag but sorry that's about it for me. Not worth the rrp,so if you buy it on Amazon for £7.49, I suppose it's not that bad really!
Mine will be for sale on ebay shortly. Very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars No "Making" involved!!, 15 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
I was very misled by the title and the synopsis of this book. If you are looking for a book to "make" items from scratch this is definately not the book to buy. Each so-called "project" requires you to buy items ready-made and then just embellish them with designs in the book. For example, you have to buy a hot water bottle cover, a tea towel, a cushion cover, rather than make these from scratch. It would be far more fulfilling to make things from scratch and then embellish them. Very disappointing and would not recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars More adorn than make, 21 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
I have to say I was really disappointed with this book and it would be better entitled 'Embellish' or 'Adorn.' No single project is made from scratch as each project starts with the main item already bought or already owned.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Book for whom, exactly?, 26 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
The book is, as other reviewers have said, misnamed, since virtually no actual making is involved; instead it offers ideas on how to decorate ready made items. It offers no challanges in terms of craftsmanship;indeed, from the sewing skills involved, it would seem to be aimed at primary children, but I can not imagine any child wanting to make these projects. A pointless book, all in all.

4.0 out of 5 stars make!, 8 Oct. 2008
J. Ballard - See all my reviews
Make!by Cath Kidston

I have just received this book, I have been eagerly waiting for it (ordered on pre-order - received earlier than expected!) and when I saw the lovely cover I was not disappointed! The book is full of clear colour photos on a lovely quality thick paper. This will be coveted by all ardent Cath fans to add to their collection, and with the added bonus of the plain tote bag supplied ready for you to customise, it will bring a smile to those writing their Xmas wish lists. It also comes with a Cath Kidston pencil and a skein of red embroidery thread to get you going!
I was expecting the content to be slightly different, as the book was advertised as making items using Cath Kidston fabrics. This is not strictly true. The contents heavily feature customising items such as bags, clothes, slippers, cushions, blankets etc using a variety of templates (at back of book - nice and clear) in the STYLE of Cath Kidston not necessarily using her prints. It does not show entire items made from the famous prints. Most projects involve simple applique using hand-stitching. This said it is a quality book at at reasonable price and one to inspire all sewing abilities.

1.0 out of 5 stars No making involved!, 17 Jan. 2009
J. white - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
Embellish - maybe, Buy - Cath Kidston definitely, Make - Certainly not. As a huge CK fan I was extremely disappointed with this book, it's now gathering dust on my book shelf, never to be used again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for children, 11 Mar. 2009
Mrs. Zv Stoten ""Shabby Chic fan"" (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
I have been eagerly waiting for this book, and wish I had read your reviews before buying it :-( I guess I was just hoping that with Cath's Name on the cover, it would prove to be a winner. This book is a guide on how to sew felt and fabric shapes onto existing fabric items such as tea towls, oven mitts, aprons etc.
Its important for me to point out what this book is not - as the reasons below are why I bought the book, and the fact that they are not in there is the reason why I skimmed through this book in 5 mins and why after having it for just 1 day - its going straight on ebay!!
It does not:
Show you how to make a cushion, door stop, fabric hanger, peg bag, ironing board cover, apron, tote bag, fabric door hangers etc. All the items that are available from her online store I hoped would be items to 'make' in her book - but they are not.
There has to be a better book out there for her fans to use to start making shabby chic items with her gorgeous fabrics!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 24 Nov. 2009
E. Rayment - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
Very disappointed as it is more geared to 'sticking' and 'gluing' than sewing patterns. Don't think it should be called 'make' as I would have to go out and purchase the product before I can embellish it. The outcome is likely to be that I won't be bothered!I originally bought this as a Christmas present for my Mum but I am too embarassed to give her such an awful present! Complete waste of money even though it was cheaper on Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Make, 1 Nov. 2009
Tegan (Peterborough,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
Very disappointed, basically shows you how to applique with several different designs to choose from on to different projects. Would not recommend, not as creative as "Sew".

Make
Make by Cath Kidston (Paperback - 17 Oct. 2008)