5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, timely book

Published 6 months ago by chochosan

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, timely book, 25 Sep 2007
Minder (Maidstone, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the introductory pages of Jill Dupleix's new book. Her descriptions of needing a change of pace in lifestyle and how that reflects in both food and drink struck a chord with me. The book is not a diet book and is not preachy on the subject of nutrition. The recipes are fresh and new with a lightness of touch that is very refreshing - influenced undoubtedly by the Pacific Rim style of fusion cooking that is commonplace in Australia's big cultural centres.

I am very happy that I found this book and will be visiting it regularly for inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 19 Feb 2008
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
I have to say, I was initially suspicious about this book before I owned it because I'm not usually a fan of "low-fat" cook books...however, this is no ordinary low-fat cook book...it's really just regular food that HAPPENS to be lower in fat and the good part is: the recipes are delicious! I've only tried a few so far, but I'm very impressed and there definitely seems lots in there I'd give a go. Most of the recipes are also very quick and easy to prepare - without losing out on flavour! I particularly enjoyed the rump of lamb with roasted tomatoes and rocket...delicious!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Jan 2014
chochosan (Tottenham, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
I had expected to like this as I was a fan of Jill Dupleix' recipes when she used to write for Delicious magazine, but I thought this was really rather a lazy effort. It is a well-produced, glossy and attractive book, but there's not actually that much in it - one recipe (in very large print) per page with lots of nice pictures makes it look good but ... There's no attempt to provide any analysis of each recipe, so you don't know how many calories or how much fat is in each serve - that's just lazy in a book claiming to be cooking for health. There are lots of nice ideas, but the quality of the recipes seems very variable and they sometimes don't live up to the hype. The chilli bean tofu really isn't as satisfying as the original (Fuchsia Dunlop's veg version is much better), the raspberry eclairs and mock choc ice-cream are really a bit ghastly, with a strong banana flavour and slightly slimy texture (and I like bananas!). Do we really need yet another recipe for spaghetti alla puttanesca? All-in-all, as a fan of hers, I found this book disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy great food, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
I was so impressed with her recipes that I bought another book by the same author. The recipes are very user friendly with ingredients that are easily available in my local supermarket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
Easy, accessible but importantly TASTY light recipes from the wonderful Jill Dupleix, inspired by cuisines from Japanese to Italian to Singaporean

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our most used recipe books, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
We've had this recipe book for a few months now and it is easily one of our most used cookbooks, in terms of number of recipes attempted and number of times we've repeated the receipes.
The dishes are packed with flavours, simple and easy to prepare and are light on the hips too!
This recipe collection wins on all grounds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
This is an excellent cook book, as per my title, there's something for everyone, no matter how basic or advanced your cooking skills. The "healthy" aspect is more focused on being sensible, as Jill herself says, "eating and drinking brings enormous pleasure" - I completely agree! This book allows you to indulge in that pleasure without feeling guilty.

There is also a nod at the increasingly popular "raw" diet - something I'm very keen on giving a go however haven't got around to as yet. Most cook books unless they are written by raw chefs, don't touch on this subject so its nice that Jill has mentioned it.

I've not tried many recipes as yet however have a few in mind to try very soon. From those I have tried, I felt that the Tuscan Bean Soup although full of goodness, was a bit bland, of course that's my opinion and it could have been my fault though I did follow the recipe to the letter :-) I just feel that the quantity of leafy green veg (a whopping 600g) was too much. The aubergine curry with ginger and chilli on the other hand is an absolute delight - even my meat loving partner was well impressed with this dish! I've made it several time now, so simple and tasty its hard to believe its so good for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars healthy but above all...tasty, 3 Feb 2009
P. R. Govers (amsterdam ,holland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
The book is styled beautifully,the food is healthy and more than that...
very tasty.In practically all of ms Dupleix books there are a few recipes
that stick to me and become classics in my kitchen. Most of the time surprising new ideas en always worth reading
Looking forward to her next book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 15 Sep 2007
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook (Paperback)
... and nice recipes too. Jill Dupleix has, for a long time now, been one of my favorite cooking writers. This book doesn't disappoint. There are a whole lot of original recipes the majority of which appeal. We're cooking the slow cooked squid for dinner this evening.

Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook
Lighten Up: A New Healthier Way to Cook by Jill Dupleix (Paperback - 7 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01