5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious decadence - highly recommended., 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
The Wolseley is one of my favourite restaurants in London and I have eaten there many times. When I saw this book I didn't hesitate to order it straight away.
This book is by no means some boring cook book, but rather a personal journey. It not only gives the best recipes on how to prepare a mouthwatering breakfast, but also talks about its origins. In the same perfectionist style of this establishment, you are guided from an Austrian Croissant to the ideal poached egg to a real English fry-up. The tone of writing is lively, lighthearted and has that pinch of snobbery in it which distinguishes the country egg from the city egg, if you know what I mean. So for anyone who enjoys class and sophistication this book is a must.
But of course, it can never beat the real experience of dining at the Wolseley...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous,....., 25 July 2008
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
Gorgeous, gorgeous book. I've eaten at the Wolseley many times albeit never breakfast and this charming little book is just the bees knees! Beautifully presented, lovely pictures, delightful recipes - what more can I say. Can't wait for Lunch, Tea and Dinner. This will rank very high on my next Christmas shopping list.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, nothing more, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
Nothing in it that is new or particularly inspired, but it is a good read none the less and makes you want to spend some more time over breakfast. Gill is always a good read, funny and sometimes raunchy, a gastronome after my own heart. But don't buy a brand new one, buy it second hand, it doesn't really deserve you to splash out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant dining and history in a beautiful package!, 17 Dec. 2012
A. C. Benjamin (Amsterdam, NL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
This is a thin book, but worth every penny if you like the story of elegant dining service and the history of breakfast in one. Written with wit, it is beautifully printed and makes a lovely gift for anyone interested in good food, the history of breafast, and fine food service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Breakfast at The Wolseley, 10 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
I actually bought this book as a gift for someone and I have to say, that this is perfect if you're into cultural history, great food, beautiful surroundings and what's more - you are even shown how to recreate the Wolseley's famous breakfast menu!! This quality hardback is written by renowned food crtic A A Gill and is so brilliant I'm even going to get a copy for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great restaurant at any time of the day but, 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
This is a great restaurant at any time of the day but, if you love food, this is a joy to read. I thoroughly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tepid Slop, 22 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
I can't belive the overwhelmingly positive reviews of this miserable book, I can only imagine that the previous reviewers were relatives of Mr. Gill. The prose is self-indulgent and goes into far too much detail on what the author was wearing whilst eating his breakfast. Do we really need to know he was wearing freshly ironed white M&S Y-fronts with a navy trim? Do we need to know that his scrotal sac was uncomfortably itchy? And we definitely don't need 42 pages on how to eat fried bread in polite company, which is excessive even if you like fried bread, which I don't. He dismisses black pudding as "far too ethnic", and thinks fried quail eggs are preferable to fried hen eggs. I would advise you to save your money and spend it on a proper breakfast elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read - makes you feel hungry though!, 15 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
I have been to the WOLSELEY for lunch but never for breakfast, so this was a great introduction including some behind the scene tales. Makes your mouth water, so dont read it if you are hungry.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Jan. 2015
Good cook book

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Breakfast at the Wolseley (Hardcover)
This is an absolutely wonderful book for breakfast lovers everywhere. Having never been to the Wosley I bough this simply because I enjoy AA Gill's writing and I must say I wasn't disappointed, from the descriptions of the baker honing his craft to the excitement of the first customer through the doors this is a thoroughly interesting book with beautiful photographs and recipes.

Breakfast at the Wolseley
Breakfast at the Wolseley by AA Gill (Hardcover - 16 May 2008)