Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 October 2008
I love color in interior design but have never been a whiz at deciding whether this exact blue in conjunction with that exact red will give me this exact effect. McCloud's book ingeniously solves my problem by presenting beautifully simple double-page spreads dedicated each to a particular color scheme with explanation. There are sophisticated schemes based on variations on a single color, well-researched and amusingly explained period palettes, palettes for northern or southern exposures, neutral palettes, vibrant palettes, and probably some I'm forgetting. Possibilities range from pale eggshell sophistication to primary blue on red modern shock. Throughout, McCloud educates the reader about the history of color and its effect on the emotion, always with a light touch and never dipping into dullness. The color reproduction, as you'd expect, is perfect.
on 6 December 2007
Warning: this book can become addictive. I've just been renovating a whole house and I spent so much time with my head in this book, friends started to tease me. It's beautiful, but it's also thoughtful and brilliantly creative. I can't believe some reviewers on here don't find it useful. McCloud covers so much, from every shade of each colour to period colours (like the 1930s palettes I ended up using) to colours for beach homes or cold climates or loft style apartments. In short, there is a wealth of knowledge in this book and it's written with the passion one has come to expect from McCloud. To those who find this book hard to use, what do you want Kevin to do, come round your house and choose the colours for you? Be creative, pick what you like and experiment. That's the whole idea of the book! I did and I've ended up using colour in a way that I never thought possible.
on 7 August 2009
After having taken this book out of our local library about half a dozen times we decided to buy our own copy, and are so glad we did. It is so useful, grouping colours into 'palettes' and giving loads of sensible advice. The added bonus is the 'paint matches' section at the back of the book, listing all the featured palettes and their individual paint colours and brands.An invaluable book for those planning a make-over or simply re-decorating the sitting room!
on 23 August 2009
I bought this along with Colour Now and love them both for different reasons. I think when this was first published one could link directly to a paint website to allow you to find the paints. this isn't available so makes the search a little harder. If you want an easier search Colour Now is based only on a Fired Earth colour card.
on 27 February 2009
I'm in the process of openning a new store. This book was an excellent guide to design my logo, shop color scheme plus business colour ID. I wish I could have direct access to his paints.
on 5 October 2010
Having just moved to a new house where all the walls are either white or extremely vibrant, I wanted a book that would guide me through how to use colour in a more 'intelligent' way. This book is great for inspiration and well thought out. I haven't read it cover to cover (but do pick it up often for a flick!) and have found it really useful - how to coordinate colours, themed by period and by style, as well as descriptions of all the colours (sounds unnecessary - but actually really handy!). The bit that would appear to be missing is how colours work in different lights (unless I missed it!), as I suspect this varies quite a lot.
on 1 February 2014
I have a total incapacity when it comes to choosing color and this book is the best help anyone could wish for. Very easy to understand and full of historical interest making it not just useful but also extremely interesting. Well done Kevin!!
on 22 August 2014
I had renewed this book so many times from library but, despite having read it from cover to cover, realised I couldn't live without it so decided to buy my very own copy! It intelligent, informative and hugely inspiring. Just love it!
on 29 March 2013
since am a self taught interior person ,I said to get book on painting and colour. this book delivers it all. from understanding your colours and know what space its best to use in. am happy I have it in my collections
on 11 September 2011
I have found this book absolutely riveting. I am not so much into interior design I guess, so much as I am very interested in living spaces, light and how we interact with our home environment. This book explains how colours work, combine, and interact with each other. At last, a way of understanding how colour works with climate, the quality of natural light, and texture as well as what just looks so wondeful as an interior. There are colour chips that help us to understand how it is working. On a more ordinary level, you could just decide to copy the interiors in the photos to create a home you love.