5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly well done, useful, readable reference
Published on 1 Oct 2008 by T. Sanchez

2.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty.. and pretty useless
This book is a very pretty book. It has lots of nice colours and pictures. But it is very hard to use & I don't feel I've learned much about how to use colour!
Published on 4 Feb 2005 by Tracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly well done, useful, readable reference, 1 Oct 2008
T. Sanchez "writer, editor, voracious reader" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Choosing Colours (Paperback)
I love color in interior design but have never been a whiz at deciding whether this exact blue in conjunction with that exact red will give me this exact effect. McCloud's book ingeniously solves my problem by presenting beautifully simple double-page spreads dedicated each to a particular color scheme with explanation. There are sophisticated schemes based on variations on a single color, well-researched and amusingly explained period palettes, palettes for northern or southern exposures, neutral palettes, vibrant palettes, and probably some I'm forgetting. Possibilities range from pale eggshell sophistication to primary blue on red modern shock. Throughout, McCloud educates the reader about the history of color and its effect on the emotion, always with a light touch and never dipping into dullness. The color reproduction, as you'd expect, is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Erudite but also incredibly accessible, 6 Dec 2007
This review is from: Choosing Colours (Paperback)
Warning: this book can become addictive. I've just been renovating a whole house and I spent so much time with my head in this book, friends started to tease me. It's beautiful, but it's also thoughtful and brilliantly creative. I can't believe some reviewers on here don't find it useful. McCloud covers so much, from every shade of each colour to period colours (like the 1930s palettes I ended up using) to colours for beach homes or cold climates or loft style apartments. In short, there is a wealth of knowledge in this book and it's written with the passion one has come to expect from McCloud. To those who find this book hard to use, what do you want Kevin to do, come round your house and choose the colours for you? Be creative, pick what you like and experiment. That's the whole idea of the book! I did and I've ended up using colour in a way that I never thought possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best colour book ever for interior design!, 2 Dec 2004
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a superb book.

I am an amateur who's tried to use colour in my home but with disappointing results. I love colour and, over the years, I've looked at many books on interior design and on colour. There are a few good books for painters and graphic designers (Itten's Elements of Color, Color Star and Art of Color) but I've never before seen such a sophisticated but at the same time (elegantly) simple book that goes well beyond the basic colour charts and in a very usable way. I can't wait to try one of the suggested combinations.

I wish Kevin McCloud (whom I've watched in many Grand Designs programmes since we've always wanted to have our own home built but a) can't face the torture involved and b) can't find the land near London) would do something at a similar level of quality for lighting (his 1995 book is out of print).

P.S. In 2009 his new book "Colour Now" was published and he again puts together various palettes that create different moods and effects, explaining as he goes. Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book!, 7 Aug 2009
E. Edwards (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Choosing Colours (Paperback)
After having taken this book out of our local library about half a dozen times we decided to buy our own copy, and are so glad we did. It is so useful, grouping colours into 'palettes' and giving loads of sensible advice. The added bonus is the 'paint matches' section at the back of the book, listing all the featured palettes and their individual paint colours and brands.An invaluable book for those planning a make-over or simply re-decorating the sitting room!

4.0 out of 5 stars Help me visualize a more daring and efficient colour combinations., 27 Feb 2009
This review is from: Choosing Colours (Paperback)
I'm in the process of openning a new store. This book was an excellent guide to design my logo, shop color scheme plus business colour ID. I wish I could have direct access to his paints.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just to let you know the website isn'tavailable, 23 Aug 2009
This review is from: Choosing Colours (Paperback)
I bought this along with Colour Now and love them both for different reasons. I think when this was first published one could link directly to a paint website to allow you to find the paints. this isn't available so makes the search a little harder. If you want an easier search Colour Now is based only on a Fired Earth colour card.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty.. and pretty useless, 4 Feb 2005
And while the colours are very nice, perhaps one reason I still can't work out what colours go with what, is that there aren't many colours in here that I would actually use in my home. The style is very classic / seaside cottage and I'm more of an urban trendy sort of gal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and inspiring, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: Choosing Colours (Paperback)
Having just moved to a new house where all the walls are either white or extremely vibrant, I wanted a book that would guide me through how to use colour in a more 'intelligent' way. This book is great for inspiration and well thought out. I haven't read it cover to cover (but do pick it up often for a flick!) and have found it really useful - how to coordinate colours, themed by period and by style, as well as descriptions of all the colours (sounds unnecessary - but actually really handy!). The bit that would appear to be missing is how colours work in different lights (unless I missed it!), as I suspect this varies quite a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars best buy !!!, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Choosing Colours (Paperback)
since am a self taught interior person ,I said to get book on painting and colour. this book delivers it all. from understanding your colours and know what space its best to use in. am happy I have it in my collections

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect as a secret santa gift for a colleague on an interior design course, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Choosing Colours (Paperback)
Very nice quality book that was happily received by my colleague for the office secret santa, lovely finish, illustrations and explanations - all arriving the next day thanks to my Amazon Prime account, even in the run up to christmas.

Choosing Colours
Choosing Colours by Kevin McCloud (Paperback - 2 Mar 2007)
10.39