5.0 out of 5 stars Great baked goods at home
The scope of this book is exceptional. It teaches you how to make your own sourdough bread without commercial yeast but home-made starters like they did in the old days. Making a bread like that is time consuming, but will have a better taste and usually stays fresh for about a week if it's a big loaf. Next, the auhtor goes on to show you that you can make nice breads...
Published on 13 Oct 2004 by agardenchair

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I was surprised to discover that half of this book was simply a copy of another book by the same authors 'Exceptional Cakes'. It should have been mentioned in the description. Very disappointing if you already have the cake book. The bread section is very limited. If you are truly interested in baking with sourdough I recommend J Hammelman and Daniel Leader.
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by Noonieck

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 23 Jan 2013
I got the book last week after reading raving reviews about it. In particular interest were the recipes for sourdough baking, for which the book was bought in the first place.
I've been baking with sourdough for the past year and my family and I were getting a bit tired of eating the various types of bread I was able to bake using it.
I bought the book after reading several reviews that led me to believe it contained many a recipe for baking with sourdough (pastries, cakes and cookies).
To my disappointment, most of the recipes, except for the breads, refer to yeast doughs rather than sourdough.

I guess I would recommend this book to people just starting out with sourdough - especially getting into the home bread niche.
However, as a vegan, I was hoping I could adjust any recipe in here to suit my needs. It seems that I shall have to look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after "Short and Sweet", 6 Jun 2012
Patmel (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking with Passion (Baker & Spice) (Paperback)
I received "Short and Sweet" by Dan Lepard as a Christmas gift and absolutely loved it - I have tried loads of the recipes (all successful!) and am always browsing through it - so couldn't wait to get "Baking with Passion".

Although, at first glance, it looked a very well presented book I was sorely disappointed. Only one or maybe at a stretch two recipes that I would actually try. I thought it was a little on the pretentious side eg using bottled water when water was called for in a recipe, maybe OK for the serious (and dare I say, pedantic) baker - but not for those of us catering for normal, hungry families who want to fit in a bit (or a lot) of baking between other chores.

For me, it was a complete waste of money while "Short and Sweet" is worth its weight in gold.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational yet flawed, 25 Nov 2010
Having enjoyed his weekly column in The Guardian, I got this book for my birthday. It offers great variety, inspirational photography and a friendly tone. However it lacks in practical detail somewhat. So despite having enjoyed some real highs (Chocolate Genoise), I now think twice before trying a new recipe. I wonder how much testing of recipes (in a domestic setting) was done prior to publishing - the Chocolate and Caramel tart recipe is wrong. So there is still a gap in my library for a dedicated bread book that offers greater detail and technical instruction - not surprising perhaps, given what a massive subject bread is. (Having said all that I still intend to bake Dan's garlic bread which makes me drool every time I see the picture!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but get over yourself, 16 Jun 2010
Mark Jansen (Britain) - See all my reviews
This is a book for the committed home baker. While there are some fairly straightforward recipes, many others require true dedication - for example, bread made with wild yeast, which takes about a week. I personally found the challenge fascinating (yes, it really works, albeit on the second attempt) but it's not for everyone.
I find the prose hilariously pretentious - apparently, the amount of flour you need to add to certain types of dough to achieve the right consistency is 'something which cannot be written down'. There's also plenty of guff about the 'honesty' of bread etc. However, I thoroughly enjoy this book; the recipes are varied and interesting and I'm still using it at least once a week, six months after receiving it.
Baking good bread or anything else is actually not all that easy. This is an excellent book to take you through the process. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys baking and wants to develop their skills further.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking bread passion, 8 Sep 2010
Ken (Orpington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking with Passion (Baker & Spice) (Paperback)
I wanted a book about bread making and found this basically to be just an advert for Baker and Spice. Very disappointing

Baking with Passion (Baker & Spice)
Baking with Passion (Baker & Spice) by Richard Whittington (Paperback - 20 Aug 2010)
9.09